DJL

What kind of home security do you have?

I didn't know enough when I was getting the pistol out. I thought I did and wasn't stupid enough to get it out with anybody else around but really didn't. BTW an old .22 short revolver that would shoot but was aweful loose. I only shoot it by remote now.

But at some point at 13 or 14 was given a .22 rifle and spent lots of time plinking stuff at my sister's farm. No supervision, carrying it around the countryside and having fun.;)

Want to get my girls trained. Too young yet but will have to work out how to do it. And convince mom.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Theres a lot one can do without turning your home into a fortress. Intelligent lighting, good locks, good quality locking windows, lighting on timers. Canceling milk/papers when you go away. Cutting back hedges to remove cover for attackers from close to your home. Not leaving your home unsecured. Dogs help, in 20 years in a very bad area in South London only a couple of homes on our road wern't touched and they all had dogs.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I live in a small town in Eastern Montana. The winters are awful. The good news is that many people won't live here. We don't even lock our doors. That may not be smart, but we've never had a problem here.

I remember the first time we traveled to California. I kept wondering why so many people had bars on their windows and even doors.

Several years ago I went to visit my brother in Palm Springs. He lived in a nice house in a nice neighborhood. While we were in the backyard in his hot tub, a group of thugs came in and stole all our wallets and anything else that was handy. Maybe they saw the Montana license plates and thought this would be some easy pickings.

So, the first thing we learned when we travel, is to lock the damn door......

Here's the real world experience of an alarm system.

Ok, someone breaks into your home while you're away.

No.....the real world experience is that petty thiefs would rather not go into a house with an alarm system, specially a loud audible alarm system.

If somebody is really determined to get into your house, or kill you, nothing is really going to work.

I am happy that in 36 years I have never been in a situation where I wished for a gun. I plan to at least make it another 36 years without that happening. I could not imagine living with that constant fear of violence.

Take it this thread only relates to the states ? Really is pretty sad that you guys feel you have to go to such lengths to protect your property.

Here we go again... Apparently you don't realize that burglary rates in Britain are higher than in the U.S.

At least in the U.S., we have the option of being armed to protect our families.

If somebody is really determined to get into your house, or kill you, nothing is really going to work.

Certainly not if you take that fatalistic attitude. However, if you arm yourself, you have a chance to save your family.

I am happy that in 36 years I have never been in a situation where I wished for a gun. I plan to at least make it another 36 years without that happening.

How can you be so sure that the criminals support your plan?

Take it this thread only relates to the states ? Really is pretty sad that you guys feel you have to go to such lengths to protect your property.

Here we go again... Apparently you don't realize that burglary rates in Britain are higher than in the U.S.

It's not the rates of burglaries. It's the perception of safety.

The reality is that as Americans, we DO tend to be less trusting. We tend to value our property to a higher level. We feel more of a desire to protect ourselves from ... well... from anything.

In the past, Americans have dug bomb shelters in the back yard. We have gathered equiptment and supplies after (the first) Red Dawn came out (who knows it this re-make will drive another survivialist motion)

Other cultures have more of a community mentality.

Neither is bad or good. It is what it is. But trying to understand the others logic while looking through your perspective if very challenging.

1. A second floor condo.
2. An alarm system.
3. A shotgun.
4. A couple of handguns.
5. A watchdog.
6. A male roommate.

And as for paranoia... I have a schizophrenic stalker who actually IS out to get me, so I'll keep my guns, thanks. You don't have to live in a war zone to have a bad guy break in. All it takes is one bad guy.

...I'm real skeptical about keeping the kids out of stuff when they get older (3 and 18 months right now). I knew where the key to the gun and the combination to the save was when I was 10. And got the gun out lots of times. Unless the only key is in my pocket and the combinations are only in my brain, and that won't work, Going to have to work on it.

My kids are almost the same ages as yours (3 1/2 and 12 months).

My plan is to have them gun safe long before they get to the stage that they can get a gun. If I had a 10 year old, I hope I wouldn't be worried about her accessing my guns, because she's going to know what's appropriate and what's not, and how to handle them safely.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

How can you be so sure that the criminals support your plan?

I can't, but I tend not to worry about it too much.

How can you be so sure that a sniper isn't going to put a bullet in you while out on a nature hike?

I think it's great you feel that way. Hopefully you are only responsible for your own safety.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

I am happy that in 36 years I have never been in a situation where I wished for a gun.

I can think of lot's of times when I was glad I had a gun.

This past summer I was packing into the mtns. on horseback. We had three horses. A couple backpackers came down the trail to meet us with big eyes. A bear was in the trail hissing at them and wouldn't let them around.

I figured this was just another black bear and it would be long gone when we got there. Since I was packing a 357 I felt safe.

The backpackers decided to come along, since I was packing a weapon, and they were unarmed and scared.

I got off the young horse I was on. I figured I didn't want to be on a spooky horse, if I was confronted by a bear. We walked up the trail several hundred yards, and the backpackers said that we were getting close to where the bear was.

About then a huge black bear started climbing up a tree right next to us.

At that point I did a lot of hollering and tried to get my horses turned around. We backed down the trail to give the bear time to take off.

Ten minutes later we headed back up the trail. That time I had my 357 out, ready for action. The bear was gone.

I didn't know it but that section of the trail had been closed for two weeks because of this same obnoxious bear.

I'm glad I had the pistol. I don't put much faith in bear spray.

I also know that bears aren't they only kind of predator, one is likely to run into. The two legged kind scare me more....

Hopefully you are only responsible for your own safety.

I was a whole heck of a lot more relaxed about my own home safety back when it was just me.

With a wife and two little girls, I've become just a touch more paranoid, but I think that's justifiable--there's a lot more to lose, now.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Man, I don't think I'd want to take on a bear with a .357. A shotgun loaded with slugs, maybe...but still just maybe. I've seen the damage a bear can do to a car, and I've also still got the lexan bottle a bear pawed out of my pack--crushed and complete with puncture marks.

My personal bear response plan involves making a lot of noise and staying the heck out of the way.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Hopefully you are only responsible for your own safety.

I was a whole heck of a lot more relaxed about my own home safety back when it was just me.

With a wife and two little girls, I've become just a touch more paranoid, but I think that's justifiable--there's a lot more to lose, now.

Yep...if anyone is responsible for others' safety and have that oh well, I'm not worried about it attitude, then they are doing those folks they are responsible to a huge disservice.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

I am happy that in 36 years I have never been in a situation where I wished for a gun. I plan to at least make it another 36 years without that happening. I could not imagine living with that constant fear of violence.

I am happy that in 40 years I have never been in a situation where I wished for a gun. I plan to at least make it another 40 years without that happening. I currently own several, but have never been required to fire them in self-defense. I could not imagine living without the ability to defend myself should my plans fail.
--
Rob

if anyone is responsible for others' safety and have that oh well, I'm not worried about it attitude, then they are doing those folks they are responsible to a huge disservice.

There is a difference between oh well, I'm not worried enough to have guns in the house and not taking other precautions.

You have to remember that there are people out there who do not believe that a gun is the answer.

You have to remember that there are people out there who do not believe that a gun is the answer.

Right. And that includes most of the people posting in these threads. Anyone who thinks simply having a firearm is a complete solution to anything is pretty confused. A firearm is a tool. Having tools allows us to formulate better plans and responses than might be possible without those tools.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Man, I don't think I'd want to take on a bear with a .357. A shotgun loaded with slugs, maybe...but still just maybe. I've seen the damage a bear can do to a car, and I've also still got the lexan bottle a bear pawed out of my pack--crushed and complete with puncture marks.

My personal bear response plan involves making a lot of noise and staying the heck out of the way.

I agree....I'd rather have a shotgun with slugs. I've packed that in Alaska, for bear protection. Down in the lower 48 I usually end up packing a pistol around. It's just easier, and I'm basically lazy.

My Dad had his camp raided by a grizzly, years ago, in the Bob Marshal. I'd definitely want something bigger for a bear like that.

Bears are powerful critters...even black bears. I've skinned out a few. You end up with a carcass that looks just like Arnold Swarzenegger on steroids. Black bears are usually real timid, but not always. This bear was obviously used to people....

Right. And that includes most of the people posting in these threads. Anyone who thinks simply having a firearm is a complete solution to anything is pretty confused. A firearm is a tool. Having tools allows us to formulate better plans and responses than might be possible without those tools.

But like any tool, it also has its own usage risks. Accidental shootings vs. self defense ratio.

For me, I don't feel I need one. I'm not in fear for my safety. I also worry that if I had one I might be more bold or cocky in situations where total avoidance or just backing down (regardless of who's right) might work just as well. Yes, I'm limiting my options but at the same time I'm limiting by dependence on those options too (the old hammer/nail scenario).

Maybe someday my opinion will change or I'll be killed before it can. Either way, I do like that I have the right to someday own a gun if I choose. :)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

You know, I not sure I believe in a 'gun safe' kid. My dad didn't have any guns until he inherited the .22 short revolver. I got to it, they didn't really hide the key. I knew enough to think I was safe but now know I wasn't. Even kids that start shooting or hunting early on, do the Eddie the Eagle stuff, etc, etc, still are kids. And just don't have the fully developed mental capacities to not do stupid stuff. We lived through it. Ours have to in a more controlled environment. (Get a kick out of the woman with the Free Range Kids book, that's what we were.)

That's why I said something about figuring out how to do it. I'm just not sure it's possible. Damn, most of the twenty somethings at the range are screwing up. Sweeping the range, handling stuff on the line while we're down range. I ran one bunch off when I made them follow the rules. Another group was too bad, I just left. And I come to the range with dozens of mags loaded.;)

Anyway, we teach kids to look each way, to stop at a stop sign on their bike, to wear a helmet, etc etc. and as soon as we're not there they do stupid stuff. Think the guns are going to be the same. So hopefully I'll be smarter than them in hiding the keys and the combos, but I doubt it.:S

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

we now live in the country
great neighbors

got 4 dogs.2 inside 2 outside and they bark..a lot

250 yard clearing surrounds home
security lights

have a deal with the dogs
they bark then hide so daddy can deal with the threat

wife shoots almost as good as me
I am a firm beleaver in sneeky,back shooting,no warning ,suprise to the bad guys

if you come and are not welcome you suffer the results of your decision

we have a target range next to the house and we allow the used targets to stay posted..kind of a hint

I work from home office so most of the time one of us is here.

a single wire fence with posted signs is all the perimiter I got.

the best defense is
SITUATIONAL AWARENESS
59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com