miked10270

Doing the DECENT thing.

This is not about being compassionate, it is about those supporting it feeling morally superior!!!

"... those"?? Which are ...... ?? Why?

:|

There is no good reason to turn this monster loose. So think about it.

Make you feel good being "compassionate" toward this bastard who murdered inocent people?

It would not make me feel good>:(

THINK, dont feel and maybe you might see another perspective
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

This is not about being compassionate, it is about those supporting it feeling morally superior!!!

If showing such compassion makes me "Morally Superior" then so be it. It's an incidental; I won't compromise my humanity for pointless revenge on a man who's effectively served some 98% of his life sentence.

If you think about it are you just wanting to be cruel to someone for a few weeks? PLEASE don't invoke the feelings of the Lockerbie victims' families in this. It is apparent from the news coverage that they are as divided on this issue as we all obviously are.

Mike.

PS: How do you address the idea of making al-Megrahi suffer while trading with the regime which ordered his act?

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

If showing such compassion makes me "Morally Superior" then so be it. It's an incidental; I won't compromise my humanity for pointless revenge on a man who's effectively served some 98% of his life sentence.

If you think about it are you just wanting to be cruel to someone for a few weeks? PLEASE don't invoke the feelings of the Lockerbie victims' families in this. It is apparent from the news coverage that they are as divided on this issue as we all obviously are.

Mike.

PS: How do you address the idea of making al-Megrahi suffer while trading with the regime which ordered his act?

Mike.
:D:D

It does not MAKE you morraly superior. It just makes you FEEL that way:D:D

I KNOW how it makes you look

The regime is another thread but for her, it sucks

PS, dont pull the humanity shit here. no different than what I have posted earlier. This is about YOUR feelings. So be it but it sucks IMO
Abraham Lincoln

If showing such compassion makes me "Morally Superior" then so be it.

I think I strike a reasonable balance in the other thread. Don't just let him rot his last days out in a regular cell, without enough painkillers to keep him out of agony. Keep him in humane hospice care, but in an incarceration venue. Justice tempered with compassion. Both elements are part of reasonable humanity.

(P.S - this is all moot now. He was released earlier today.)

I agree with you. Wasn't it Ghandi that said something like "an eye for an eye only makes the whole world blind"?

An eye for an eye would mean executing him. He's not being executed. He does not face the same death as those in the plane. He faces that same death as Linus Pauling.

How the hell is death in custody by prostate cancer anything at all like death by being blown up at altitude in a jumbo jet (or death on the ground by being hit by falling debris)?

I fear such moral equivocation.

My oh my, Mister Shyster! On what wording of law do you, a law enforcement officer, base such a statement?

:o

Calling Jerry a shyster is a PA.

Jerry is an honorable man and a decent person.

Ban yourself

Make you feel good being "compassionate" toward this bastard who murdered inocent people?

Jeez. What the hell makes you think anything in this entire incident would make me "feel good"??? >:(

That killer nearly reached end of his life road. Let him die wherever it's OK. And if it's OK in the combination with a political step, why not.

Stop vapouring yourself like a peafowl. Shooting forward, rattling sabres, roaring "Kill him" is foolish. Looks foolish.

:P

dudeist skydiver # 3105

>There is no good reason to turn this monster loose.

Nor is there any reason to keep him imprisoned as long as he can never do anything like this again (i.e. he is incapacitated by disease and will soon die.) Indeed, turning him loose is cheaper. That's logic.

Or you could say "that fucker should rot in a prison cell." That's emotion.

>It would not make me feel good.

More emotion. It might well make you feel good to see the unpleasant death of another, but that is emotion, not reason.

Nor is there any reason to keep him imprisoned as long as he can never do anything like this again (i.e. he is incapacitated by disease and will soon die.) Indeed, turning him loose is cheaper. That's logic.

More emotion. It might well make you feel good to see the unpleasant death of another, but that is emotion, not reason.

Reason comes with justice. Emotion is raised because of not thinking

He was imprisoned for life for murder. Regardless of his ilness he should die in prison out of justice for those he murdered and respect for the families still living
Abraham Lincoln

Am I alone in thinking that this is purely financially motivated?

Reason comes with justice. Emotion is raised because of not thinking

He was imprisoned for life for murder. Regardless of his ilness he should die in prison out of justice for those he murdered and respect for the families still living

in your humble opinion :)
(but not the scottish people who were bombed)
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

>He was imprisoned for life for murder. Regardless of his ilness he should die in
>prison out of justice for those he murdered and respect for the families still
>living

Why? What logical benefit is there to having him die in a prison infirmary instead of a hospital bed? The end result is exactly the same.

Now, there may be an emotional benefit to you; I am not disputing that. But there is no _logical_ benefit. End result is that he's dead and cannot commit any more crimes.

Am I alone in thinking that this is purely financially motivated?

No there are many others that came to this conclusion.

>He was imprisoned for life for murder. Regardless of his ilness he should die in
>prison out of justice for those he murdered and respect for the families still
>living

Why? What logical benefit is there to having him die in a prison infirmary instead of a hospital bed? The end result is exactly the same.

Now, there may be an emotional benefit to you; I am not disputing that. But there is no _logical_ benefit. End result is that he's dead and cannot commit any more crimes.

No emotional benefit to me. I only point out the stupidity of his release.
Abraham Lincoln

I have to disagree, as applied to this particular case. There are multiple, concurrent philosophical justifications for punishment of criminals. For the most part, they include
-Retribution - society expressing its outrage by using a certain measure of, yes, vengeance;
-Specific deterrence - conditioning the offender to never want to commit the crime again;
-General deterrence - conditioning society, by making a public example out of the offender, to refrain from committing crimes;
-Incapacitation - Protecting society by physically restraining or incapacitating the offender, so that the offender is not capable of harming society;
-Restitution - compelling the offender to compensate the victims and/or general society for the harm caused by his crimes.

Generally, each of these supplies something not fully supplied by the others. And each is considered legitimate, in proper measure, and in proper balance with the other reasons - as well as with other factors such as heinousness of the crime on one hand, and compassion on the other - all of which is decided on a case by case basis. So just as deterrence does not compensate victims, but is still justified, retribution - in proper measure - can also be justified, even though it might not (physically) compensate the victims.

It's all about striking a reasonable balance among all of these justifications for punishment. And that's why it can be seen as reasonable to keep someone incarcerated for murder even though doing so won't bring the victim back.

An individual who is convicted and sentenced and serves their sentence is logical. An individual who is convicted and sentenced and is freed due to compassion is emotional.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

This entire thing has ed into a basic fo or against "capital punishment". does it make a difference if he serves his last days in prison or at home?? no not really hes gonna die...now the thing is instead of wasting 10's of thousands possible 100's by holding this convicted "murderer" (i quote this cause some murderers have some mental defect, while this guy just hates us) in a jail system and giving him food, medical treatments, recreational events so on and so fourth, they should have just exicuted him when he was caught and confesed to the crime.

Nor is there any reason to keep him imprisoned ...

Sure there is. It's called justice. It's an essential part of civil society, and it's the government's responsibility to effect that. If the government abdicates that responsibility, then who ensures justice, especially for violent crimes?
We are all engines of karma

Nor is there any reason to keep him imprisoned ...

Sure there is. It's called justice. It's an essential part of civil society, and it's the government's responsibility to effect that. If the government abdicates that responsibility, then who ensures justice, especially for violent crimes?

Does the concept of parole exist in the US of A? If so, do people get convicted of a crime, get sentenced for a period but get out before that term expires?

If so, nothing new here.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

>Sure there is. It's called justice.

Right. And once someone is dead, that process is done with. Whether this guy dies in a hospital bed or in a prison cell is pretty irrelevant - he's dead.

Is he dead? No. So the process is not done with according to you and thus it does matter where he dies. Are you trolling? You should know better ...
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch