miked10270

Doing the DECENT thing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/south_of_scotland/8197370.stm

"Scottish Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill revealed that the Libyan, who has terminal prostate cancer, would be allowed to return to his homeland."

While Abdelbaset Ali al-Megrahi showed NO compassion to his victims, That does not mean The Scottish People should deny compassion in turn. In effect, we will not descend to his level of cruelty.

Personally, I think Kenny MacAskill has done the right thing.

Mike (donning helmet & body armour as we speak).

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

"Scottish Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill revealed that the Libyan, who has terminal prostate cancer, would be allowed to return to his homeland."

While Abdelbaset Ali al-Megrahi showed NO compassion to his victims, That does not mean The Scottish People should deny compassion in turn. In effect, we will not descend to his level of cruelty.

So, so you and dreamdancer feel good this, murderer will be allowed off the hook when it comes to being accountable for his actions. that is just great!:S

Glad it works for you. I hope you never come face to face with a family memeber of one of those murdered. Cause you are basicly telling them to get fucked>:(
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

So, so you and dreamdancer feel good this, murderer will be allowed off the hook when it comes to being accountable for his actions. that is just great!:S

Glad it works for you. I hope you never come face to face with a family memeber of one of those murdered. Cause you are basicly telling them to get fucked>:(

no, those are your words.
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

Yes they are! And they describe YOUR postion very well >:(

Glad you get to feel good. Screw the families. You da man:S
Abraham Lincoln

still all your words.
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

still all your words.

You answer funny when your ass gets nailed to a point.

Again, glad YOU feel good. Screw those who lost loved ones..You gotta be proud:S
Abraham Lincoln

still all your words.

Again, glad YOU feel good. Screw those who lost loved ones..You gotta be proud:S

What a BS. Nothing's nailed to any point.

You just took over the role of the solicitor - to play the upright solicitor.

:|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

How do you reconcile the argument Mr. MacAskill put forward, which you seem to put forward as well, with the argument synposized by Paul [quade] and Andy [Andy9o8] in the other active thread on this topic?

I'm asking not from the "vengeance" standpoint or even "victims rights" standpoint but from the perspective of criminal law, the state, and deterrence. If my understanding of the Scottish legal system as conducted at The Hague is correct (& it may not be ... so please correct me if I'm wrong - it was Scottish law applied at The Hague, not purely international law, iirc), al-Megrahi was convicted on offenses not just against individuals from multiple nations but against the nation.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

still all your words.

What a BS. Nothing's nailed to any point.

You just took over the role of the solicitor - to play the upright solicitor.

:|

Ok, tell me what part of my perspective is wrong?
Abraham Lincoln

Wasn't it Ghandi that said something like "an eye for an eye only makes the whole world blind"?

Yes, that's one's of his more famously attributed aphorisms (but you probably knew that :)
If one's concept of justice is based on vengeance or retributive justice ... or one is fighting against vengeance based criminal law ... then it's very powerful. It's also applied to those who seek 'justice' outside the rule of law.

And while there do seem to be some who are arguing that, it's far from the only consideration in this case, imo. It's not the most important consideration, also imo.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

How do you reconcile the argument .... al-Megrahi was convicted on offenses not just against individuals from multiple nations but against the nation.

My own reconciliation of this argument would be; The nations concerned have themselves reconciled (and let's face it, Lockerbie WAS a state-sponored act) with Libya rejoining the community of nations (and paying compensation for the deaths in Lockerbie, with such compensation received). I understand that Britain and The US now buy Libyan oil and sell Libya goods, including weapons systems.

This in itself makes al-Megrahi's continued incarceration an anachronism in that the states concerned have ceased hostilities and resumed normal, even cordial relations. At that point, what purpose is served by continuing to punish a minor government executive for another few months?

Mike.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

I agree with you. Wasn't it Ghandi that said something like "an eye for an eye only makes the whole world blind"?

I fail to understand how not being freed from prison after being convicted of a crime before serving your sentence which isn't capital punishment is akin to an eye for an eye. The man was convicted ...

"One needs to be slow to form convictions, but once formed they must be defended against the heaviest odds." Mahatma Gandhi

... shouldn't we defend the conviction and thus the sentence against the heaviest odds, even compassionate grounds?
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Al Megrahi has been released on COMPASSIONATE grounds.

It's NOT about insulting the victims families (not all of whom wanted al Megrahi to remain incarcerated). It's about being true to OUR degree of compassion rather than mirroring his.

Mike.

I agree with you. Wasn't it Ghandi that said something like "an eye for an eye only makes the whole world blind"?

An eye for an eye would mean executing him. He's not being executed. He does not face the same death as those in the plane. He faces that same death as Linus Pauling.

How the hell is death in custody by prostate cancer anything at all like death by being blown up at altitude in a jumbo jet (or death on the ground by being hit by falling debris)?

I fear such moral equivocation.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Al Megrahi has been released on COMPASSIONATE grounds.

It's NOT about insulting the victims families (not all of whom wanted al Megrahi to remain incarcerated). It's about being true to OUR degree of compassion rather than mirroring his.

Mike.

this dirt bag murdered was to die in prison for his crimes but, because he got a terminal disease they will let him out for compassionate reasons? Fucking god damn idiot stupid IMO!!!!!

He should get the same comasiion he showed those on the plane.

Stupid liberals who like to feel good>:(

what a bunch of shit....

Glad it works for you cause it pisses me off big time that they would do it to begin with and then even worse there are those here that can some how rationalize this kind of behavior. Stupid

Compassion my ass.....
Abraham Lincoln

this is the issue of perspective. It is difficult to display compassion for the sheep without showing a lack thereof for the wolf.

I can see and understand the perspective of compassion for the perpetrator. I can see your perspective of his being a state actor. But compassion for him is perceived by thousands of family members and friends of his victims as a slap in the face.

Compassion for the perpetrator is being perceived as overriding compassion for the families and friends of the victims.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

An eye for an eye would mean executing him. He's not being executed. He does not face the same death as those in the plane. He faces that same death as Linus Pauling.

How the hell is death in custody by prostate cancer anything at all like death by being blown up at altitude in a jumbo jet (or death on the ground by being hit by falling debris)?

Well stated.

This is not about being compassionate, it is about those supporting it feeling morally superior!!!

Well they can feel all they want. But they look like limp spined liberals. Period>:(
Abraham Lincoln

My oh my, Mister Shyster! On what wording of law do you, a law enforcement officer, base such a statement?

:o

dudeist skydiver # 3105