Darius11

Not Everything in America has to be for profit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIPLjm6iLkw

I think he is right on point: Go to 2:05.

I was going to try top write something about this but he coverd every thing i wanted to say.

Health care
News
Prisons.

I think he is right on point. Some times its not all about the money.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

tom has provided proof on a number of occasion that show non-profit healthcare is more expensive than for-profit healthcare. if you really want to rail against someone making profits in the medical field, set you sights on the trial lawyers. you can start with john edwards.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

And he mentioned that health care back then was a thermometer up the butt and a plaster cast. Today it is much more advanced. The reason? Profit leads to new and better methods.

Just like Henry Ford basically started the modern industrial age in the US. And when he priced his cars low enough so the average man could afford them. You think that was out of a sense of goodwill, or the knowledge that it opened up a new untapped market?

And you do realize that he is the kind of "news" person he is making fun of right?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

tom has provided proof on a number of occasion that show non-profit healthcare is more expensive than for-profit healthcare.

Today it is much more advanced. The reason? Profit leads to new and better methods.

If profits lead to better and cheaper methods, why don't charities operate for profit?

charities are based on people donating money, items, and time. they are used to help people. how much time and money do you think would be donated to for-profit organizations? how much of that would be left over after taxes. for the most part, charities rely on altruism to exist.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

charities are based on people donating money, items, and time. they are used to help people. how much time and money do you think would be donated to for-profit organizations? how much of that would be left over after taxes. for the most part, charities rely on altruism to exist.

Charities do not have to operate that way, they could trade things for profit. If the profit system is so much better than non-profit systems, the net result will be an improvement. So why don't they do it?

tom has provided proof on a number of occasion that show non-profit healthcare is more expensive than for-profit healthcare.

Today it is much more advanced. The reason? Profit leads to new and better methods.

If profits lead to better and cheaper methods, why don't charities operate for profit?

Where did he say cheaper? I believe he said "new and better".

Because:

Profit means the customer pays.
Charity means someone else pays.

Simple really.

Plus I said new and better, not always cheaper. New and better things seem to cost more. My Rolex cost more than my Timex.

PLUS, back when I was born the median house price the year I was born was $28,900
Last year it was 213,020

Average Income in that year $11,800.00
Average Income last year $58,029

Cost of a gallon of Gas 55 cents
Cost of a gallon now 2.80

Might as well claim that we should only make 15k, be able to buy a new house for 50k and buy gas for 1.00.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Seriously none of you can find any problem with the news, healthcare, and prisons to be only motivated by a corporation who ONLY cares about making profit.

Is it cheaper to let people go for none violent crimes or keep them in jail? Well for the corporation a loss of inmates is a loss of profit. The goal of a corporation is to increase sells every year. Are you guys following this?

Same with Health care, if it is about profit there is no money in a cure, the money is in the drugs that keep you alive. If they find a cure or a vaccine for AIDS for example they lose all the money they make on the drugs that keep you alive.

Your telling me with the motivation of it being only money the corporation will do what’s right. I think we have seen whats right = what makes more money in a corp eye. The only thing that matters is the profit thats the way corp. work.

NEWS: Who thinks the news has any integrity left?

Lets brake away from this news about our troops so we can tell you Brittany has got a hair cut.

You guys really don’t see that caring for only profit is not the only way to be successful especially in things that require integrity.

No one sees any of this as a problem?

How much does Bill Maher make?

His job is to make you laugh, if you don’t think he is funny you don’t buy his tickets.

When corporations run our prisons, then I can be arrested for a stupid law that’s only kept on the books because this corporation makes billions of dollars on it. The marijuana laws a great example of this.

His job is to make you laugh, if you don’t think he is funny you don’t buy his tickets.

Doesn't the same rationale apply to your quip about Brittany Spears haircut?

If you don't like it, get your news somewhere else. I haven't read a story about Brittany's hair in any of my regular news sources. It wasn't on the BBC, wasn't in the WSJ, didn't notice it in the Economist.

By the way, did you ever read the WSJ article about non-profit medicine that I keep linking for you? (the one here)?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Dude, profit is not the devil.

It is when trumps Humanity, integrity, and ethics especially when the specific things being mentioned here require Humanity, integrity, and ethics.

If you had a dr. who told you hey only thing I care about is making money you have no problem with that?

What about the police department?

And the NEWS who can say that’s worked for the better?

If you had a dr. who told you hey only thing I care about is making money you have no problem with that?

Not really. I'm always free to go see another doctor. Or at least, I am at the moment.

And the NEWS who can say that’s worked for the better?

Better than just 3 channels, all saying the same thing? I'll say the current system is better. You have hundreds of different sources, and you can read various (often conflicting) views of the same things. That give you the ability to form your own opinions, instead of just taking what someone else is saying for truth, because there's no other view available.

Would it work better if we just had one news source, handing out government approved news? What would we call it? Maybe The Truth?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I have tried both links Tom i get a blank page.

Again Tom you have sold your soul to your idealism.

You can spin all you want but prisons for profit that imprison your fellow citizens and are motivated to keep them in the first place by a profit line is an issue for me. I don’t want laws put on or kept on the books so the prison corporation can make a buck.

As for the news I think we would have much more factual news if it was not about ratings, and influenced by any thing other then the facts.

I have to say what is annoying is talking to you guys and you pretend like you don’t see any of this shit.

As if the news is so great, the prisons are not over following with nonviolent offenders?

I don’t want profit to be the motivation of my Dr. when he sees me. I want him/her to be truthful and tell me what’s the best thing I need to do not what’s makes the most money for him.

Seriously if you cant see the problem in drs making decisions like corp. I really can’t help you. You have already decided to pretend you profit knows best method applies to every thing in the universe.

Like I said idealism is great if we lived in a black and white world.

As if the news is so great...

I do, quite honestly, believe that the news available to the average person is both of higher quality and greater content than 20 years ago, or 40 years ago.

...the prisons are not over following with nonviolent offenders?

The problem there is the huge number of laws on the books that criminalize non-violent and victimless behavior. That's not a conspiracy by corporations who want to run for-profit prisons. It's a problem with people pushing their morality on others.

I don’t want profit to be the motivation of my Dr. when he sees me. I want him/her to be truthful and tell me what’s the best thing I need to do not what’s makes the most money for him.

Sure. Don't you want to give him an incentive to do that? The best way to incentivize people is to offer them a personal reward. I'd like to have an effective tool for motivating my doctor to do the job. The best tool for that is my ability to pay him (or not) based on his doing the job. If I'm free to see another doctor, then I can pick the one who I think is doing the best job. If I don't have that freedom, what incentive does he have to do a good job for me (aside from personal feelings, which can be a powerful motivator for him)?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I have tried both links Tom i get a blank page.

http://webreprints.djreprints.com/2017630549095.pdf

http://webreprints.djreprints.com/2017630549095.pdf

Is that working?

No it says done but it is blank. I have adobe so i have no idea why its not working.

Same with Health care, if it is about profit there is no money in a cure, the money is in the drugs that keep you alive. If they find a cure or a vaccine for AIDS for example they lose all the money they make on the drugs that keep you alive.

No money in cures? Here's a couple companies that might disagree with you.

http://www.sanofipasteur.com/sanofi-pasteur2/front/index.jsp?siteCode=SP_CORP&codeRubrique=2

http://www.cslbiotherapies-us.com/s1/cs/becs/1236380113601/content/1236380113568/content.htm

Both companies are currently in the testing phase for their H1N1 vaccines.
www.FourWheelerHB.com