Yossarian

Tracking

by looking at the horizone you are able to keep your bearings during tracking. You want to make sure that you are tracking the right direction keeping in mind the jump run and others who jumped around you. As for looking at the ground sometimes you cant help it but trust me it will always be there. I had to make sure that I was altitude aware when I started tracking. I was finding myself lower then I wanted to be at deployment.

"Falling is the easy part, Landing smoothly is the most importent part!
-DJ Mike

i was thinking more to do with body position rather than my bearing, i can still move my eyes without altering my body position. why is it necessary to lose the arch in a track? (ive been told you need to by instructors, but not why, and although i could probably work it out i find these things are never as simple as they should be)

why is it necessary to lose the arch in a track?

My avatar is good illustration of a poor body position for a track. You can see that I am still arched in my chest. This is causing my track to go steep so I am not getting as much horizontal separation for the same altitude loss. A crude description would be to imagine a slow fall (de-arched) body position combined with the extended legs and swept back arms of the track. This will flatten out the track and allow you get more horizontal distance. Craig Girard of Airspeed actually appears to track back up relative to the videographer B|

Foggy
D21109

Put your butt in the air, your shoulders in your ears and your chin on your chest. Point you toes and push down with your hands/arms.:)
But always keep track of what/who is in front of you and what/who is below you.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

by looking at the horizone you are able to keep your bearings during tracking. You want to make sure that you are tracking the right direction keeping in mind the jump run and others who jumped around you. As for looking at the ground sometimes you cant help it but trust me it will always be there. I had to make sure that I was altitude aware when I started tracking. I was finding myself lower then I wanted to be at deployment.

Sorry, but your advice is unsafe. When tracking, the things that will kill you, ground, open canopies, etc. are down below you. Looking at the horizon is unsafe because you won't see the jumper waving off below you or the ground coming up. Besides, no one has ever impacted with the horizon.

You can keep track of your heading by watching the ground, but when looking at the horizon you're not watching where you're going, the first rule of going fast safely. I've seen a horizon watcher track into an open canopy. Luckily all survived but the canopy and jumpsuit.

BTW, when yuo're doing a good track, you're really pushing hard on the air to make yourself go. Max tracking is a lot of fun and a hell of a survival skill. I practice it on every breakoff. Vskydiver can kick my ass tracking, but not too many others. Spend a few jumps practicing it. It's well worth it.:)

Gosh, this is all really interesting. I was told during AFF to look at the horizon while tracking, because it allows you to keep a heading and not accidentally turn into someone else's track. Perhaps that was a simplification for first jump students?

Would you up-jumpers suggest looking more towards the ground after students are comfortable with a basic tracking position? Or did you learn tracking looking down from the start?
Well, the door was open...

Gosh, this is all really interesting. I was told during AFF to look at the horizon while tracking, because it allows you to keep a heading and not accidentally turn into someone else's track. Perhaps that was a simplification for first jump students?

Yes.
Heading control is primary, distance is secondary. No point in having a super fast Max Track if all you do is a love sick boomerang. Tracking is your next survival skill after figuring out what the handles do and landing with a level canopy above your head. Talk to an instructor about techniques and exercises to do.

Foggy

Would you up-jumpers suggest looking more towards the ground after students are comfortable with a basic tracking position? Or did you learn tracking looking down from the start?

I was taught to look at the ground from day 1. You can keep a heading easily enough. Just follow a road or whatever. If the world spins around below you, you're not tracking in a straight line. Once you start jumping with people other than your instructors, you really need to look where you're going when you track. That means below and in front, not the horizon.

I was taught to look at the ground from day 1. You can keep a heading easily enough. Just follow a road or whatever. If the world spins around below you, you're not tracking in a straight line. Once you start jumping with people other than your instructors, you really need to look where you're going when you track. That means below and in front, not the horizon.

On a big way breakoff there may be collision risks in any direction. Until I am sure I have a clear path to myself I look around A LOT. Then I look between my feet at mjosparky in the base, turning a donut.

If you can't see your feet, you are arched and aren't trying hard enough.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

On a big way breakoff there may be collision risks in any direction. Until I am sure I have a clear path to myself I look around A LOT. Then I look between my feet at mjosparky in the base, turning a donut.

That's true, and even on smaller ways that might have some "out" people. You do need to scan all around, especially to the sides for converging traffic and glance ahead for stopped bodies in freefall, but I still feel the main focus should be where you're going. The horizon is one of the last places to look for hazards.

Looking over a shoulder or 2 at wave off is also a good idea.

Dude, you have your facts way wrong here.

At 253 jumps I dont consider myself nearly experienced enough to advise people.
At 28 jumps you definitely should not be giving out advice.
__

My mighty steed

I've seen teaching students both ways.

FWIW and IMHO
1. Look at horizon.
Pros:
For students, this is a good idea until they get the hang of tracking a straight line. There's instructors and coaches with them to help watch out.
Cons:
They will have to learn a different technique before leaving student status in prep for jumping with bigger formations. They will have to learn looking around, not just at the horizon or ground.

2. Look at the ground
Pros:
Better than nothing. I have nothing else here. Maybe you big boys could add some benefit to looking at the ground for students.
Cons:
Harder to gauge straight-line tracking even with a road to follow.

3. Looking around
Pros:
Best bet.
Cons:
Not something a student can do AND hold a line at the same time.

Two caveats here
...looking at the horizon is not the only way to keep a line but it seems to be easier for students as compared to looking at the ground.
...looking around is best but does not lend itself well to helping students hold a line.

As you can tell, I am a big proponent of the importance of holding a line. Distance and fall-rate can be learned afterwards.

Now, all you big boys are allowed to tell me I'm full of shit but at least be kind enough to explain why.
:D:D:P
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Now, all you big boys are allowed to tell me I'm full of shit but at least be kind enough to explain why.
:D:D:P

No, You're not. Pretty nice analysis. Many students do track in a circle first time out. It's always funny/scary to watch them come back at you like a homing torpedo. Quite the kick to take evasive action.

That's why I'll only jump with one noobie at a time. I can always dodge one person. Two can corner you.

I agree with you and Kallend that looking around is important, but most of the hazards are below in front of you, IMHO>

Then I look between my feet at mjosparky in the base, turning a donut.

100+ donut shot from the ground.:)

We will miss you at Top Gun. Have you bequeathed the orange suit to anyone?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Then I look between my feet at mjosparky in the base, turning a donut.

100+ donut shot from the ground.:)

We will miss you at Top Gun. Have you bequeathed the orange suit to anyone?

No, but I am accepting bids..:)
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Harder to gauge straight-line tracking even with a road to follow.

Not in Texas! Not really sure why you think this is harder.

Looking at the horizon doesn't necessarily mean you are tracking in a straight line especially if there is movement on the horizon (like fast moving clouds).

My instructor told me that the reason they taught look to the horizon was to teach the student to stay level (thus straight) similar to how you learn to stand or go head down to stay vertical.

Blue skies,

Jim

turns out im not bad... i lurked on a 3-way (pretending to be camera man type-lurk) and tracked off at 5.5k for about 7secs (pre-arranged) and got some serious distance, was good to be able to see the formation dissapear between my legs. on another jump did a tandem track with a mate (linked with arms over shoulders, not sure if thats its real name) and the speed was impressive, from looking at the ground, was an awesome feeling