DJL

Authorized search of your bags by a theater? Question for you lawyers and cops

This http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090525/cinema_lawsuit_090525/20090525?hub=Canada occurred at a theater in Canada. The result was that the establishment had to tell you about the search before you bought a ticket. So, two questions, who the fuck is going to go through this just to see an overpriced movie with overpriced food.

Next, isn't there some law in place limiting who can search your personal property. I don't think the warning is good enough. If a business wants to search then they should have to prove that there is a plausible threat that concealed items can be used illegally, must show that there is no other way to prevent this illegal activity from occurring, and they must be trained to conduct the search.

When you go to museums some will search your bag and some have a bag-check. Hell, even a lot of strip clubs have a cell-phone check. But I've NEVER seen a search conducted by some ticket taker working minimum wage.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

If a theater wants to search me, I will refuse. If they then deny me admission, they can refund my ticket money, and I'll proceed to take all my future movie business somewhere else.

Let the free market decide.

If they don't want people smuggling in snacks, then don't charge $5 for a candy bar.

If it's private property they can do what ever they want. If you dont like it go somewhere else.

Gotta bite on that one. Where do you draw the line for "do what they want" and why do you draw it there? Let's say that all of the theaters were doing this? How about if they started doing it in grocery stores? Are you OK with a WalMart Greeter frisking you? At what point are you going to say, "This is ridiculous. I want laws to protect my privacy and dignity"?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If it's private property they can do what ever they want. If you dont like it go somewhere else.

Gotta bite on that one. Where do you draw the line for "do what they want" and why do you draw it there? Let's say that all of the theaters were doing this? How about if they started doing it in grocery stores? Are you OK with a WalMart Greeter frisking you? At what point are you going to say, "This is ridiculous. I want laws to protect my privacy and dignity"?

I'll side with Rookie here - movie theaters are enough of a vertical market that this policy will drive the theater out of business. Then another one will open that doesn't search bags, and the few people that think paying $10 for the privilege of watching 20 minutes of television before 10 minutes of previews before a poorly executed film will start going to the theater again. Of course, they'll still sneak in their snacks to hedge the cost of the ticket.

Of course, if it was a utopian capitalistic market, the movie industry would figure out that if they fixed a few basic flaws in their process, more people would go, and theaters wouldn't have to rely on overpriced junk food to make a profit.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Are you OK with a WalMart Greeter frisking you?

Well if thats there way to stop theft more power to them. For the people who think this is bad, you should go check out B&H photo in NYC and see how they do it and get with me.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"And we're not allowed to put our hands in your bag, which is totally understandable. I don't want to put my hands in your bag. In fact, leave the bags in the car."

That line pretty much sums it up.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

"And we're not allowed to put our hands in your bag, which is totally understandable. I don't want to put my hands in your bag. In fact, leave the bags in the car."

Yeah, I agreed with them there. Again, a way around the problem without searching your property.

It's private property. In many places if they want to condition entry upon their conditions they may do so.

But - there may be jurisdictions out there with laws against this conduct. Different places do that.

Heck, I can't go to a Raider game without being harassed. I've gotta hide my plastic shank up my ass to get in when I go to San Diego because their searches are so Draconian. :(

My wife is hotter than your wife.

.....check out B&H photo in NYC......

What do they do? Couldn't find any info on their website. Just curious.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Well if thats there way to stop theft more power to them. For the people who think this is bad, you should go check out B&H photo in NYC and see how they do it and get with me.

They make you check all bags, correct? Used to go there all the time, been about 6 years now though.
Killing threads since 2004.

They make you check all bags, correct? Used to go there all the time, been about 6 years now though.

Yeah, they search and check bags. When I was there they also made me take my big winter coat off and check that.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Of course, if it was a utopian capitalistic market, the movie industry would figure out that if they fixed a few basic flaws in their process, more people would go, and theaters wouldn't have to rely on overpriced junk food to make a profit.

Like having to stand in long, slow lines. Twice! Once to buy the ticket, and then you go inside, and you do it all over again to get a coke.

How about combining the ticket and snack counter functions in the same place at the same time. Step up to the window and say; "1 ticket for 'Terminator', and a medium coke". Pay your money for both, go inside to the theater and sit down. Done!

My local theater just posted a notice that no one under age 17 will get into a movie after 9:00 pm unless accompanied by an adult. Apparently there's a problem with teeny-boppers getting too rambunctious. The rule works for me, but I'll bet it hurts their business.

I've been to lots of concerts, as well as ballparks, where they look in people's backpacks and purses for cameras and food/drink. But I've always had the option of refusing and not being admitted.

I've also been to other countries in Europe where your bags would get searched on the way into a movie theater, but I think that was more to prevent terrorists from bringing in weapons or bombs.

Private property. They have the right to protect their intellectual property and exclusive contracts with concessionaires. And I have the right to say no. Whereupon they have the right to refuse me admission, as long as they refund my ticket price.

Those parking lots have nice signs saying not to leave valuables in the car, and of course any items stolen are your own problem.

Treat your customers as potential criminals, and there will be consequences. I got a 57" screen, a player for every type of HD media, and a couch that lets my legs go straight.

Bag search, bodily fluids, probably cavity search if they wanted to. I have to 'agree' just to go to work.
I think it sucks.
America is about half way down the slippery slope already.
Some people think 1984 didn't happen.
Hahahahahaha
But what do I know?

If a theater wants to search me, I will refuse. If they then deny me admission, they can refund my ticket money, and I'll proceed to take all my future movie business somewhere else.

Let the free market decide.

If they don't want people smuggling in snacks, then don't charge $5 for a candy bar.

There's one theater over by Greens Point that if ya don't have a gun when ya get there..they lend ya one! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Those parking lots have nice signs saying not to leave valuables in the car, and of course any items stolen are your own problem.

Treat your customers as potential criminals, and there will be consequences. I got a 57" screen, a player for every type of HD media, and a couch that lets my legs go straight.

Sounds like you have reached a good compromise with the management. They don't have to worry about what you may have in any bags you are carrying in, and you don't have to worry about whether allowing them to search those bags is a condition of entry.
Both parties get what they want.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

My local theater just posted a notice that no one under age 17 will get into a movie after 9:00 pm unless accompanied by an adult. Apparently there's a problem with teeny-boppers getting too rambunctious. The rule works for me, but I'll bet it hurts their business.

Something tells me that the kid whose parents would let go to a movie after 9 PM on a school night is probably gonna be the rambunctious type. Goddam kids!!

I've also been to other countries in Europe where your bags would get searched on the way into a movie theater, but I think that was more to prevent terrorists from bringing in weapons or bombs.

Bag search, and assigned seating in London! I was used to assigned seats from the theater, but for movies?
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Sure. I'd just shop somewhere else. Or, better yet, start a competing store without that policy.

At what point are you going to say, "This is ridiculous. I want laws to protect my privacy and dignity"?

Protect me from my voluntary choice to be on their property? I don't need to be protected from myself.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Something tells me that the kid whose parents would let go to a movie after 9 PM on a school night is probably gonna be the rambunctious type. Goddam kids!!

I didn't say anything about school nights. This is on weekends too.

years ago when I carried my handgun in a fanny pack, I was asked to allow a search of it before I left. I refused, they called the cops. The cop showed up, asked why I didn't want to let them search my bag, I explained I didn't want to cause a panic, and I thought a calm call to the police would be better than a panic'd man with a gun call. He agreed (after checking my CHL) and told me to go. Nobody looked inside my bag.
--
Rob

years ago when I carried my handgun in a fanny pack, I was asked to allow a search of it before I left. I refused, they called the cops. The cop showed up, asked why I didn't want to let them search my bag, I explained I didn't want to cause a panic, and I thought a calm call to the police would be better than a panic'd man with a gun call. He agreed (after checking my CHL) and told me to go. Nobody looked inside my bag.

A good example of how an untrained bag inspector can't handle the duty. Additionally, in this situation they need to warn you before you enter that you're subject to the inspection. Did they even have a rent-a cop there? Could you have been referred to a head of security if you weren't comfortable with the pimple faced kid they had at the exit desk.

Again, my view is that there is a point where a search is for the greater good. I used to go to places where a frisk and wand was part of getting in; and I wanted it that way. But a theater? And just for protecting against video equipment? Bootlegging from a camcorder MUST be getting close to extinct.

Bootlegging from a camcorder MUST be getting close to extinct.

You don't use computers much, do you? :D

It is quite easy to find torrents of pretty much every new movie, almost all of which are video taped copies from the theatre.

Whether that happens by people sitting in the theatre, or the projectionist in the booth is another debate.

.jim
"Don't touch my fucking Easter eggs, I'll be back monday." ~JTFC