Andy9o8

Pope: "Condoms increase AIDS"

He's right.....if the alternative to condoms is not having sex. Of course, those aren't the two choices in Africa, or anywhere else in the world. The small number of cases caused by misuse of rubbers would be overwhelmed by the benefits.

Catholic dogma regarding condoms and birth control aren't even in the 20th century.

So why then does Denmark, which encourages condom use, have one of the lowest HIV rates in Europe. While Ireland, which only recently even LEGALIZED condoms (you still need a prescription to buy them) has one of the highest HIV rates. Maybe it's because Danes are Protestants and the Irish are Catholics ?

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

So why then does Denmark, which encourages condom use, have one of the lowest HIV rates in Europe. While Ireland, which only recently even LEGALIZED condoms (you still need a prescription to buy them) has one of the highest HIV rates. Maybe it's because Danes are Protestants and the Irish are Catholics ?

There you go again, letting facts get in the way of faith. :P
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

You know, the thing is, although I disagree with the Church hierarchy's position on "artificial" contraception, I do understand (as in "comprehend") the essential doctrinal basis of it (Humanae Vitae, et al.). But AIDS prevention has nothing to do with contraception, except to the extent that a particular prophylaxis (condoms) just happens to coincide with one method (out of many) of contraception.

I think the Church hierarchy is being deliberately intellectually dishonest (aside from the possible cluelessness at the very top) about condoms as AIDS prevention as a means to avoid a chipping-away at its prohibition against contraception. In other words, the Church hierarchy is willing to sacrifice lives to an epidemic for the sake of doctrinal politics. And that is unforgivably shameful and immoral.

The church used to call AIDS a gay disease, and now that's politically incorrect, so we'll use fear of HIV to promote our anti-birth control agenda :S I guess needle-sharing drug users are not a problem???

I talked to some Jehova's Witnesses (who do not believe in blood transfusions), and they used the HIV-from-blood-transfusions argument as a justification for their beliefs. Same fear-based agenda, slightly different faith.

Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Prescriptions aren't required to buy condoms in Ireland. They're over the counter just like everywhere else.

The church used to call AIDS a gay disease, and now that's politically incorrect, so we'll use fear of HIV to promote our anti-birth control agenda :S I guess needle-sharing drug users are not a problem???

I talked to some Jehova's Witnesses (who do not believe in blood transfusions), and they used the HIV-from-blood-transfusions argument as a justification for their beliefs. Same fear-based agenda, slightly different faith.

Good point. What you're describing, of course, is after-the-fact rationalization, thinly veiled as "justification". That, too, is intellectually dishonest.

My response to that kind of BS: Have a doctrine or ideology? - fine. Then have the courage of one's convictions and defend it based upon its original foundation. Don't conjure up new ones which only serve to insult the intelligence of one's audience.

Prescriptions aren't required to buy condoms in Ireland. They're over the counter just like everywhere else.

Yes; in 1985, Ireland finally entered the 20th Century.

Anyhow, if you people want to subject yourselves to an epidemic of water balloons, that's on you.

Condoms can give a false sense of security. I speak as an uncle to a niece who was conceived while a condom was in use.

With regard to sexuality, abstinence is the only way to prevent HIV 100%. It's a fact that people do not want to hear.

The pope speaks for Catholics. Some Catholics choose to listen...some don't. If you're not Catholic, this topic does not address you...move along.

>If you're not Catholic, this topic does not address you...move along.

If we did not, as a country, help Africa with its AIDS problem, you might be right.

But we do, which is a good thing. And it's somewhat aggravating to try to help an entire country deal with an epidemic while an influential guy in a hat goes around trying to make it worse.

The equivalent would be a Muslim leader going around encouraging people in Lebanon to make homemade explosives because sometimes Allah wants you to be prepared to give your life for your beliefs. Would you then claim "if you're not Muslim, this topic does not concern you, so move along?"

No, abstinence practiced perfectly is the only way to prevent HIV 100%. Unfortunately, not all people who use abstinence as a form of birth control/STD prevention actually remain abstinent. Therefore, it's a good plan to have a backup form of protection, like a condom.
And given that the Pope's ridiculous comments will probably lead to a decrease in condom use among African Catholics, leading to an increased rate of AIDS transmission, I'd say his comments affect us all, so my formerly Catholic self won't be moving along any time soon.

As a Catholic yourself Bill and a person who is extremely knowledgable on a plethora of subjects, it stuns me how little you have researched in regard to the true teachings of the Catholic faith. The Catechism is fairly easy reading and does explain the whole 'why' of this topic.

Condoms can give a false sense of security. I speak as an uncle to a niece who was conceived while a condom was in use.

Sure they can occasionally fail. That absolutely does not mean that more widespread use of them would make the AIDS epidemic worse.

With regard to sexuality, abstinence is the only way to prevent HIV 100%. It's a fact that people do not want to hear.

Oh great, there's a practical solution. What percentage of its flock do you think the Catholic church can persuade to be genuinely abstinent?

The pope speaks for Catholics. Some Catholics choose to listen...some don't. If you're not Catholic, this topic does not address you...move along.

If you're not me, my choice of what I spend my time discussing does not concern you... grow up.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

>The Catechism is fairly easy reading and does explain the whole 'why' of
>this topic.

I understand the rationale behind it. I also know that his actions will absolutely increase the incidence of AIDS where he is preaching his 'no condoms' message. His actions will bring suffering and misery to thousands at the very least, and will cause the church to be seen as an institution that will happily sacrifice lives to maintain dogma.

It's akin to going to a country that is seeing hundreds of thousands of people dying of starvation and preaching that parents should make their children fast. Sure, there is value to fasting. But there's also a time when human life should trump religion.

If you're not me, my choice of what I spend my time discussing does not concern you... grow up.

Hey jakee, You hate Catholicism. I got that...7500 posts ago.:S

My basic point is that the pope has a job to do. I'll keep it simple. It's to lead the Catholic Church according to the true teachings of the Catholic faith. Not the Pelosi version.

I will submit that everyone has a right to give their opinions about any topic in SC. My point is the true teachings of the Catholic Church are not going to change according to some poll. Post your opinion as much as you want. If you are incorrect, I'll call you on it...that is if I'm in the mood to.

My basic point is that the pope has a job to do. I'll keep it simple. It's to lead the Catholic Church according to the true teachings of the Catholic faith. Not the Pelosi version.

Are there any teachings of the Catholic faith that involve not lying?

If there are, why do you think it's OK for the Pope to ignore that teaching in order to try and prop up this teaching?

My point is the true teachings of the Catholic Church are not going to change according to some poll.

No shit. But so what? What on earth does that have to do with whether we can discuss it or not?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

With regard to sexuality, abstinence is the only way to prevent HIV 100%. It's a fact that people do not want to hear

And the only way to 100% prevent the chance of dying in an automobile accident is never to climb inside an automobile.

But I still fasten my seat belt.

Could the fact that condoms also prevent conception cause some conflation of the two? Are Catholic girls ever allowed to take the pill to regulate periods, or to clear up their complexions? If not, then I think the incidental fact that something can also be used for contraception might be taking on a greater role than it should. Logically speaking, of course. And I understand that the Pope has the (on earth at least) last word.

But in this case :|

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)