From a hero to zero!

>Did his 14 gold medals make any significant contribution to society?

Did Neil Armstrong make any significant contribution to society? He just went for a ride and took a walk. How about Picasso, or Cezanne, or Pollock? All they did was paint pictures anyone could have painted. Heck, Pollock died while driving drunk.

How about Hemingway? A useless drunk. Modigliani? Used narcotics and made no significant contributions, unless you count some paintings and scuplture.

Or how about Sir Edmund Hillary? Climbed a mountain, but made no significant contributions. Lance Armstrong? Did drugs, won a bunch of medals.

And to think all of them are more honored than, say, Flavia, our next door neighbor's kid who has never smoked pot in her life.

What's your point, Bill? All of those men made contributions to society, some more than others. Whether they used drugs or not has nothing to do with it, same as with Phelps or any other athlete who gets his ass kissed just because he can swim faster, throw harder, or manage to put a ball into a hoop the size of a peach basket.
I imagine you and Kallend have each made greater contributions to the betterment of society than Phelps ever will, yet nobody is beating on your door wanting to pay you millions of dollars to endorse their line of clothing or watches. To me that is just not right.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

>All of those men made contributions to society, some more than others.

?? All Armstrong did was get a bunch of medals, like Phelps. Did his seven TdF wins make any significant contributions to society? How is he any better than Phelps, who you claimed made no contribution to society?

>All of those men made contributions to society, some more than others.

?? All Armstrong did was get a bunch of medals, like Phelps. Did his seven TdF wins make any significant contributions to society? How is he any better than Phelps, who you claimed made no contribution to society?

Why are bring into the discussion people I never mentioned? Did I ever claim either way about Lance? Did I ever say EVERY celebrity was the same? Nope. But you sure seem to be intent on making that supposition.
I am sure you already know about Lance's work to help fight cancer, so I'll assume that ridiculous remark you made about him not contributing was intentional.

What contributions has Phelps made to society?
HAMMER:

He is admired by many young people...that's all that matters. He gives credibility to the idea of hard work and dedication.

Many of them will better relate to him, thus making the idea of sucess a little more realistic and tangible rather than this unrealistic illusion of perfection.

The majority of people cannot relate to perfection. People are inspired when one overcomes the trials of everyday life and exposes the possibilities of what can be achieved by the Everyday Normal Guy.:D

Phelps is only 23, he has plenty of time to contribute to society and I think we should lay off before he turns into This Guy.

I say let him live and achieve the The ultimate american dream.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

> Did I ever claim either way about Lance?

Yes. You said Lance made contributions to society, and you said that Phelps made no contributions to society. Why the difference?

>I am sure you already know about Lance's work to help fight cancer,

And I'm sure you've heard of the Phelps Foundation, dedicated to saving children's lives through teaching water safety. Yet for some reason you consider Phelps a "fuckin' celebrity" who is unlike people who make a positive difference.

He is admired by many young people...that's all that matters. He gives credibility to the idea of hard work and dedication.

Then he should take that role seriously and obey the laws of the country he is in, regardless of whether he thinks they are just.

Many of them will better relate to him, thus making the idea of sucess a little more realistic and tangible rather than this unrealistic illusion of perfection.

The majority of people cannot relate to perfection. People are inspired when one overcomes the trials of everyday life and exposes the possibilities of what can be achieved by the Everyday Normal Guy.:D

Phelps is only 23, he has plenty of time to contribute to society Absolutely. And when he does then he will get the respect due a hard working contributing member of society. Until then he is just another guy who can swim like a fish. A very fast fish. and I think we should lay off before he turns into This Guy.

I say let him live and achieve the The ultimate american dream.

HAMMER:

The entire point of the comparison to skydiving was that in skydiving the norm is for nobody to get hurt at all...not even a sprained toe,

This is why I asked you about your profile...

???

A regular at the DZ would question your statement that the norm is no one gets hurt at all. We made 'femur' into a verb.

The entire point of the comparison to skydiving was that in skydiving the norm is for nobody to get hurt at all...not even a sprained toe,

This is why I asked you about your profile...

???

A regular at the DZ would question your statement that the norm is no one gets hurt at all. We made 'femur' into a verb.

So what you are saying is that every skydiver gets hurt on every jump???
I don't know where you're jumping, but I would suggest a different DZ. I've made 18 jumps and the only injury suffered was a very mildly sprained ankle when I flaired a tad too high.
HAMMER:

I just heard a good solution on tv.
When your kid asks if they can smoke pot because Michael Phelps does.
Just say; "Yes, but only after you've won 12 Olympic medals."
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

I just heard a good solution on tv.
When your kid asks if they can smoke pot because Michael Phelps does.
Just say; "Yes, but only after you've won 12 Olympic medals."

Perfect end to this discussion. Let's let the dead horse lie.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I don't care if Phelps smokes pot, he is a swimmer and he swims faster than everyone else....Game over.

I don't care if baseball players take steroids, nobody seems to care about basketball players or football players.

I don't see why this is even a story.
Onward and Upward!

Baseball, Wrestling, American football is hardly a international sport, but Swimming is!

I think it is a hypocrati the whole thing. If he had a bud in his hand it would have been all good, as i have said before. Bud is legal, but pot is not.

Well, snowboarding is an olympic sport. Let's face it, if it were not for pot there would be no such thing as snowboarding.

Remember when the Canadian guy lost his medal for smoking pot? He kicked everyones ass but he was disqualified for smoking pot.

How dumb is that? His event was even called the "Half-pipe"

;)

Onward and Upward!

Well, snowboarding is an olympic sport. Let's face it, if it were not for pot there would be no such thing as snowboarding.

Remember when the Canadian guy lost his medal for smoking pot? He kicked everyones ass but he was disqualified for smoking pot.

How dumb is that? His event was even called the "Half-pipe"

;)

He didn't lose his medal.