From a hero to zero!

So what's your skydiving profile, anyway?

Is one required?

We're not in a great place to lecture others about not doing risky activities for some reward or to escape reality.

In skydiving, or any extreme sport, the only risk involved is if something goes wrong. Unlike smoking weed, merely participating does no harm at all...NONE! Harm comes when somebody or something screws up. When smoking pot, every drag does more damage. More smoking = more damage.
I don't know about the rest of you, but when I jump, rappel, climb, race, fly, etc. it is not to escape reality but rather to enhance it. Life is too grand to spend even part of it with my brain in a fog.
Some people like their brain in a fog. That's their choice, one that I think is stupid.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

How 'bout you stop touting it as some kind of harmless drug?

I never said it was harmless, I said it was less harmful than many other things.

Ya'll are pissed because I view smoking pot as a stupid act done by people who don't have the guts to face reality head on. ... People who smoke pot do so to get high, get a buzz, whatever you want to call it.

You smoked pot to get high or get a buzz because you couldn't face reality head on. Believing that everyone else that smokes pot for the same reasons you did ... is stupid.

I have done research into it. Evidently you have not.

Watching Reefer Madness isn't research ...

When smoking pot, every drag does more damage. More smoking = more damage

What about vaporizing, drinking, or ingesting it?

I am done with you here.

Having trouble facing reality head on?
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

I never said it was harmless, I said it was less harmful than many other things.

You have never admitted any harm that it causes.

Ya'll are pissed because I view smoking pot as a stupid act done by people who don't have the guts to face reality head on. ... People who smoke pot do so to get high, get a buzz, whatever you want to call it.

You smoked pot to get high or get a buzz because you couldn't face reality head on. Believing that everyone else that smokes pot for the same reasons you did ... is stupid.

And you smoked it why? Because it tastes good? Yeah, right. :S

I have done research into it. Evidently you have not.

Watching Reefer Madness isn't research ...

Never saw it in my life

Makes little difference

I am done with you here.

Having trouble facing reality head on?

Not a bit :)
HAMMER:

So what's your skydiving profile, anyway?

Is one required?

We're not in a great place to lecture others about not doing risky activities for some reward or to escape reality.

In skydiving, or any extreme sport, the only risk involved is if something goes wrong. Unlike smoking weed, merely participating does no harm at all...NONE! Harm comes when somebody or something screws up. When smoking pot, every drag does more damage. More smoking = more damage.

It's highly unrealistic to say that skydiving (or others) only has risk if you make a mistake. Mistakes are a given. If you skydive, you accept that you'll likely suffer the occasional bump and bruise, and potentially worse.

do you need a profile here? No one makes you, but its absence reflects, even though there is no validation of its contents.

Not stating the harm it may cause is not the same as touting it as some kind of harmless drug ...

Makes little difference

Once again showing what little research you have actually done ...
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Why do people get hurt? Because something goes wrong.
Why do things go wrong? Because somebody...or something...screwed up and didn't go according to plan.
Unless you are trying to say people who get hurt jumping out of airplanes intend to get hurt ?
HAMMER:

Not stating the harm it may cause is not the same as touting it as some kind of harmless drug ...

Ok, then you tell me what physical (not leagl or sociological) harm is done by smoking marijuana?

Makes little difference

Once again showing what little research you have actually done ...

Damage is still done regardless of manner of ingestion. They type of damage is different.
Do your research in places other than those run by potheads.

This is actuallly starting to be fun. The only reason you can put up for smoking pot is to get high (other than medicinal). You have yet to put up any reason for getting high other than to sissy out of life for a while. :D:D:D:D
HAMMER:

Just keep on smokin'.
You haven't caught on yet, have you? The only things we dissagree on are: MJ causes physical harm when ingested, and people who use it do so because they can't face their problems.
Hell, I say legalize the crap and tax the shit out of it! Control it the same as hard liquer...no home grown. Turn that big expense of fighting it into a big deposite in the bank. It's virtually impossible to OD on it. If people want to fry their brain, let 'em. But we may as well make some money from them while they do.
HAMMER:

I'm disgusted with the way Michael Phelps has been treated. So he smokes pot, big fucking deal. Only in America would an athlete who just earned 8 Gold Medals be treated like this - for smoking pot.

This is how they ruined Gene Krupa's career too.

If I were Phelps, I'd seriously consider moving to Europe and naturalizing as a citizen of a more MATURE country - perhaps The Netherlands.

America clearly does NOT deserve Michael Phelps. We sure as fuck don't appreciate him.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Hopefully as more and more of our lifes moments are captured and displayed online, incidents such as this will not be as big a deal. :S

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Why do things go wrong? Because somebody...or something...screwed up and didn't go according to plan.
Unless you are trying to say people who get hurt jumping out of airplanes intend to get hurt ?

If our society lets people skydive, some people will get hurt. If we let people smoke pot, some may suffer from health consequences. (that level's magnitude is a big part of the disagreement between you and us). It doesn't really matter that someone has to make a mistake to get hurt in the sky - humans will inevitably do that. And the numbers say that a lot more people die skydiving (despite a dramatically smaller participant pool) that those who die from pot.

If our society lets people skydive, some people will get hurt. If we let people smoke pot, some may suffer from health consequences. (that level's magnitude is a big part of the disagreement between you and us). It doesn't really matter that someone has to make a mistake to get hurt in the sky - humans will inevitably do that. And the numbers say that a lot more people die skydiving (despite a dramatically smaller participant pool) that those who die from pot.

Holy shit! You sure like to go off on a tangent, don't you?
It has nothing to do with what society allows. I've stated time and time again that marijuana should be legalized and a person has the choice to use it. The entire point of the comparison to skydiving was that in skydiving the norm is for nobody to get hurt at all...not even a sprained toe, where as using pot causes damage...even a little bit...every time it is used. No exceptions.
HAMMER:

I'm disgusted with the way Michael Phelps has been treated. So he smokes pot, big fucking deal. Only in America would an athlete who just earned 8 Gold Medals be treated like this - for smoking pot.

This is how they ruined Gene Krupa's career too.

If I were Phelps, I'd seriously consider moving to Europe and naturalizing as a citizen of a more MATURE country - perhaps The Netherlands.

America clearly does NOT deserve Michael Phelps. We sure as fuck don't appreciate him.

Who really cares how Phelps feels? Did his 14 gold medals make any significant contribution to society? Nope, just to his bank account. Meanwhile people who are making a positive difference in peoples lives go unrecognized and unrewarded.
Fuckin' celebrities. Never have so few who contributed so little been given so much.
HAMMER:

Who really cares how Phelps feels? Did his 14 gold medals make any significant contribution to society? Nope, just to his bank account. Meanwhile people who are making a positive difference in peoples lives go unrecognized and unrewarded.
Fuckin' celebrities. Never have so few who contributed so little been given so much.

Here is a quote from this article:

Phelps practices seven days a week, 365 days a year. During the seven years leading up to the 2004 Games, he missed only five days of training; he has practiced 317 consecutive days entering the Beijing Games.

"When I was growing up, I had five years in a row without taking a single day off," he said.

Although most swimmers banter during breaks at the wall, Phelps insists on silence. "I'm here to do a job," he said.

Added Reese, head coach of the men's Olympic team: "Michael is the most talented swimmer in the world. The tough part for everyone else is, he's also the hardest working. It's a rare phenomenon. You never see it."

give the guy a break...:S
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Here is a quote from this article:

Phelps practices seven days a week, 365 days a year. During the seven years leading up to the 2004 Games, he missed only five days of training; he has practiced 317 consecutive days entering the Beijing Games.

"When I was growing up, I had five years in a row without taking a single day off," he said.

Although most swimmers banter during breaks at the wall, Phelps insists on silence. "I'm here to do a job," he said.

Added Reese, head coach of the men's Olympic team: "Michael is the most talented swimmer in the world. The tough part for everyone else is, he's also the hardest working. It's a rare phenomenon. You never see it."

give the guy a break...:S

Why? Because he is an exceptional athlete? Because he has a great work ethic? BFD. I'd actually have more respect for the man if he, instead of apologizing for getting caught, had come out and spoke in favor of legalizing pot. His apology was a repeat of the one he gave in '04. Just more lip service to quiet the media.
Phelps works that hard for himself and nobody else. The world is full of people who work just as hard or harder trying to make the world a better place, yet society isn't at it's knees ready to kiss their ass.
HAMMER:

The entire point of the comparison to skydiving was that in skydiving the norm is for nobody to get hurt at all...not even a sprained toe,

This is why I asked you about your profile...

???
HAMMER:

some pothead musta really got you good...it sounds like you got a personal thing going on.

You make some good points, but its just hard to hear them with all that jazz...

If you wanna spead the facts...spread the facts.

Here's a couple of well know studies.

Effects on spiders

Effects on humans
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

>Did his 14 gold medals make any significant contribution to society?

Did Neil Armstrong make any significant contribution to society? He just went for a ride and took a walk. How about Picasso, or Cezanne, or Pollock? All they did was paint pictures anyone could have painted. Heck, Pollock died while driving drunk.

How about Hemingway? A useless drunk. Modigliani? Used narcotics and made no significant contributions, unless you count some paintings and scuplture.

Or how about Sir Edmund Hillary? Climbed a mountain, but made no significant contributions. Lance Armstrong? Did drugs, won a bunch of medals.

And to think all of them are more honored than, say, Flavia, our next door neighbor's kid who has never smoked pot in her life.