akarunway

Total ban on cellphone use while driving

So Maybe we should make carpooling mandatory.

Come on. I mean if your driving really sucks that bad then YOU should definitely not talk. Hands free or not.

I haven't crashed, caused a crash or come colse to crashing while I have been on a hands free device.

Its just another area that idiots are trying to make our decisions for us.

So we should ban cell phones while driving unless you have mad skilz like jtval.

That's also true.

But, If I see someone with his/her head on one side - probably holding a mobile phone on their shoulder, then the most certainly have not got their head on a swivel - [Alarm-Bells].

If they need to make/take that call - stop the fucking car.

I agree with you on this.

That is why a hands free device should be used if your gonna answer the call.
My photos

My Videos

I have a problem with banning cell use unilaterally. I think a hands free unit should be allowed.

Yes, I talk on my cell from time to time, but I've recognized the single largest factor for me is having the phone to my ear will limit the amount I can turn my head.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

someone is always going to bitch and complain about restrictions imposed on something they do, they assume something like driving is their right and that they should be able to do it however they please. Fact is, driving is a privilege that can be taken away.

Just rencently there was a new law set for anyone caught going 50km over posted speed limits. automatic $10 000 fine, car impounded and license revoked on the spot, and of course tons of people complained about it. But ya know what too fucking bad, at the end of the day its about the saftey of everyone around you not just some convenience factor for you.
if you are looking for sympathy you can find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis

And I still have the privledge to drive. If I do something that should revoke that privledge than it should be revoked.

What if your wiffe was having a child and you had to get to the hospital? should you pay $10,000 because you were driving faster then 50KM?
What if you were shot and had to get to the hospital or die?
My photos

My Videos

So Maybe we should make carpooling mandatory.

Come on. I mean if your driving really sucks that bad then YOU should definitely not talk. Hands free or not.

I haven't crashed, caused a crash or come colse to crashing while I have been on a hands free device.

Its just another area that idiots are trying to make our decisions for us.

So we should ban cell phones while driving unless you have mad skilz like jtval.

Knock it off.
People are saying that we need to ban hands free cell use.
I am saying that if you start there you have to ban all distractions.\
The radio is a distraction.
GSP/MAP
Passengers are a distraction
Driving in unfamiliar towns, states, areas can be distracting.

Why are HANDS FREE cell phones a different issue?
My photos

My Videos

I have a problem with banning cell use unilaterally. I think a hands free unit should be allowed.

Yes, I talk on my cell from time to time, but I've recognized the single largest factor for me is having the phone to my ear will limit the amount I can turn my head.

a hands free set i can live with, i still think one should pull over to make a call, but a hands free is a fair compromise

and as for if i was shot or if my wife was dying yes maybe there could be extenuating curcumstances like there is for everything. But for someone driving that fast just because they want to get to where they are going quicker...no dice
The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

YOU have a holier than thou attitude.
Whose to say you won't slam into someone. what precautions do YOU TAKE?

Sorry my friend, afraid not. Perhaps you have a comprehension problem since you seem to think I'm saying I can't make mistakes. The very premise of my argument, and posts, is that we ALL can make mistakes.

I'm saying I fully acknowledge that I CAN slam into someone and as such I do hop n pops and everything I can to avoid putting myself in the same airspace as others.

YOU'RE saying that you won't cause you haven't yet.

Big difference there buddy.

You really need a reality check.

YOUR RIGHTS END WHEN THEY NEGATIVELY EFFECT OTHERS SAFETY.

My approach: Pro-actively avoid situations that endanger others.

Your approach: Pretend that you'll never make the mistake cause you're just that good.

See the difference?

I have a very, very simple question: Bar the most extreme circumstances, what is it about that call that's just SOOOO important you HAVE to take it now? My guess is that 99.99999% of the time your call is unimportant in the scheme of things, and can wait.

You claim I have a Holier than thou attitude since I care about not hurting others. I guess that means I can claim you have an arrogant and inconsiderate one since you place your own convenience, and perceived skills, over others safety.

Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

GPS/MAP

This one will be the growing evil. CA has banned texting while driving (talk about a unneeded law to remind us of the obvious), and of course hands on cell phones, but the touch screen GPS represents the worst of both, esp when it prompts that driver to go 3 lanes over to make the turn.

I have a very, very simple question: Bar the most extreme circumstances, what is it about that call that's just SOOOO important you HAVE to take it now? My guess is that 99.99999% of the time your call is unimportant in the scheme of things, and can wait.

One of the most common events is to tell someone that you'll be 30 minutes late because you're moving 5mph on the highway. (If they could exit, they would!)

Good luck finding the thousands of deaths in that common scenario.

One of the most common events is to tell someone that you'll be 30 minutes late because you're moving 5mph on the highway. (If they could exit, they would!)

Good luck finding the thousands of deaths in that common scenario.

No doubt that happens, and I don't feel that's unsafe. I definitely don't think that's the source of the majority of cell phone calls while driving though.

Still, that's not a scenario that is dangerous so it's quite irrelevant to a safety discussion.

If you want to nitpick the scenario, lets say that talking on the phone, while driving at 5mph or less is acceptable ;)

Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

We're talking about driving cars.
You brought up the skydiving reference.
Your confusing the two issues .

Why would you be on a 79 sq ft main when that obviously adds more stress to a situation?

Do you think you can handle it?

Wel,l I can take your same stance on that and tell you that youre not good enough and you're not responsible enough to make your own decisions.

Your action have a great deal to do with the reputation of our sport. I say we ban sub 100 canopies.
Seems siilly doesnt it?
That is what you are saying when the scenario is changed to driving with HANDS FREE cell use.

Now back to the DRIVING.
Did you read my posts?

I take stock in my situation.
If I am on a clear road or in a place where I can pick up the call I will.(I.E. I make sure I am not in the same airspace)
I don't drop everything and answer the call.

Maybe your own experience has skewed the way you read my posts but you seem to want it both ways.
My photos

My Videos

GPS/MAP

This one will be the growing evil. CA has banned texting while driving (talk about a unneeded law to remind us of the obvious), and of course hands on cell phones, but the touch screen GPS represents the worst of both, esp when it prompts that driver to go 3 lanes over to make the turn.

Care to predict how long till some state legislator decides to make an issue out of that?
It's an arms race out there.

>Find safe spot, Pull Over - make the call. Resume journey.
>How difficult is that?

Let's see. You'd have to look at the display to see who called (wouldn't want to pull over for spam) cross several lanes of traffic, find an exit, get off, pull off on the shoulder of the exit ramp, and then call the person. Then you'd have to get back on the exit ramp, figure out how to get back on the entrance ramp at the same location, then re-merge with freeway traffic and cross several lanes again.

All in all, not that hard.

Now, how hard is hitting the "answer" button on your steering wheel, hearing the message, and saying "OK?" Even easier - and even safer than pulling off a highway and then re-merging into heavy traffic.

No doubt that happens, and I don't feel that's unsafe. I definitely don't think that's the source of the majority of cell phone calls while driving though.

Still, that's not a scenario that is dangerous so it's quite irrelevant to a safety discussion.

If you want to nitpick the scenario, lets say that talking on the phone, while driving at 5mph or less is acceptable ;)

Ian

So the way I see it is is may be less damage cause but its more than likely to cause a wreck if you are in traffic.

5mph usually means people are rubber necking
they are usually a few feet away from each other.

Seems to me there's less room for error in that situation than when you are on road that isn't crammed with cars.
My photos

My Videos

A person I usedtaknow:)drove mostly stoned or drunk several times a week for 25 years and never crashed into shit either. Just lucky I guess and I'm told he knows better now.:ph34r:

I thought this was the most apropos post of the thread.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)