kallend

Is Alaska in a parallel universe?

FOXNews:

Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens told one of his home-state newspapers Thursday that "I've not been convicted yet," despite being found guilty of seven felonies in his federal corruption case earlier in the week.

Stevens is in a competitive race for re-election against Democratic Mayor Mark Begich of Anchorage -- a bid that, for any other senator, might have been shut down by a conviction in federal court.

But in a meeting with the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner editorial board Thursday, Stevens, the longest-serving Republican in the Senate, insisted his name is not besmirched -- not yet, anyway. Stevens says he's clean pending the results of his appeal.

"There's not a black mark by my name yet, until the appeal is over and I am finally convicted, if that happens. If that happens, of course I'll do what's right for Alaska and for the Senate ... I don't anticipate it happening, and until it happens I do not have a black mark."

Stevens dismissed calls from prominent Republicans, including John McCain and Sarah Palin, for him to step down, saying those were "statements made on the trail, in the heat of battle," according to the News-Miner.

Stevens was convicted Monday of seven counts of failing to report more than $250,000 in free home renovations and other gifts from a wealthy oil contractor.

He is running for his eighth term.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I light of the original poster's propensity for divergence I feel obligated to say,

Frank, Dodd, and Schumer didn't step down with their disgraceful and criminal performance. Why should Stevens. ;)

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

>Frank, Dodd, and Schumer didn't step down with their disgraceful and criminal
>performance. Why should Stevens.

I agree! Convicted felons need a voice in congress too. Think of the fun. News organizations could see which way convicted felons will vote on a new anti-crime laws. Whenever anyone in the Senate says anything bad about criminals, they could go to Stevens to get his reaction to their statements. And while he is actually in jail, they could have a webcam set up so he can still vote on pressing issues (well, if he's not being accosted at the time I suppose.)

Whats wrong with using the "I've not been convicted yet," line? You said the same thing in your defense of William Ayers. Even though he did the crimes he was never convicted so that's OK.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Whats wrong with using the "I've not been convicted yet," line? You said the same thing in your defense of William Ayers. Even though he did the crimes he was never convicted so that's OK.

Are you familiar with the concept of courts, juries, and verdicts?

I am. Just trying to make a point.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Ayers is not a convicted felon. Stevens is.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

>Frank, Dodd, and Schumer didn't step down with their disgraceful and criminal
>performance. Why should Stevens.

I agree! Convicted felons need a voice in congress too. Think of the fun. News organizations could see which way convicted felons will vote on a new anti-crime laws. Whenever anyone in the Senate says anything bad about criminals, they could go to Stevens to get his reaction to their statements. And while he is actually in jail, they could have a webcam set up so he can still vote on pressing issues (well, if he's not being accosted at the time I suppose.)

I smell a reality series here. Somebody call John de Mol.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

Ayers is not a convicted felon. Stevens is.

Blues,
Dave

ayers admits to what he's done, so just because he wasn't convicted it doesn't make him any less guilty.

i believe that in alaska, the jury's decision isn't accepted (not the right word, but you get the idea) until sentencing so technically he hasn't yet been convicted. that said, it still makes him sound like a dumb-ass to say that. i think that what is going on here is that he has been a very popular senator in alaska, and still has a shot at winning, albeit a small one. as close as the dems may be to holding 60 seats, he (or the rnc behind closed doors) wants to try to keep a republican in that seat.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

I am. Just trying to make a point.

The POINT is that Stevens IS a convicted felon, and claims he isn't.