NotBond

This is friggin nuts!

So, can I list my DZ as an address too and vote multiple times now? How about the the airplane hanger.....

http://dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2008/10/28/ajudgerule.html?sid=101
Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyways... - John Wayne

They didn't say you could register with more than ONE park bench.;) One registration only.

What if you WERE homeless and slept in the hanger, didn't have rent receipts or utility bills? Should we let you vote?

Come to think of it we had a guy living in a cargo trailer in the DZ parking lot with an extension cord. Don't know what he used as an address and how he proved it.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

They didn't say you could register with more than ONE park bench.;) One registration only.

What if you WERE homeless and slept in the hanger, didn't have rent receipts or utility bills? Should we let you vote?

Come to think of it we had a guy living in a cargo trailer in the DZ parking lot with an extension cord. Don't know what he used as an address and how he proved it.

Well, since I don't have to show a photo ID in a lot of places.....borrow someone's electric bill, smudge the address, forge the name - PRESTO! Another Registered Voter!

Whatever happened to the America my Dad fought for?

Easier said than done. Election departments do look for fraud and registering multiple times while not only being criminal would not necessarily be successful. Do a search on this type of fraud and see how common it is..... extremely uncommon as it really is a bit too difficult to pull off on any type of scale. What is far far more prevalant is trying to disenfranchise groups of voters by not letting them vote. Allowing everyone who is legally entitled to vote to cast a ballot is not a bad thing....that is the America my dad fought for.

Easier said than done. Election departments do look for fraud and registering multiple times while not only being criminal would not necessarily be successful. Do a search on this type of fraud and see how common it is..... extremely uncommon as it really is a bit too difficult to pull off on any type of scale. What is far far more prevalant is trying to disenfranchise groups of voters by not letting them vote. Allowing everyone who is legally entitled to vote to cast a ballot is not a bad thing....that is the America my dad fought for.

I'm not saying people who are legally entitiled should not vote - but let's use some common sense - a park bench as a home? What is the address of said bench? Can you provide a utility bill for said bench? A park bench is NOT a private address, its NOT a mailing address. If one doesn't have a homestructure, there are Post Office boxes - I used one for years. Works just fine for voter registration.

Many judges today won't use a shred of common sense, preferring to rule in a ridiculous fashion in order to avaoid "offending" someone, somewhere.

The United States that your dad fought for, and a lot of dz.comers fought for, says that every citizen has the right to vote. (Didn't used to, does now) Not the ones that are clean, not the ones that have homes, not just the ones that know where their next meal is coming from.

Why do you have a problem with someone voting? This ruling had nothing to do with someone breaking the law and registering twice. The story had nothing to do with someone breaking the law and registering twice. Which may be easy to try but accomplishing and actually voting twice is hard. All anybody wanted was the ability to vote once no matter what their circumstance.

Or should we go back to only white males can vote?

There are lots of ways to break the laws. Luckily most people choose not to.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I'm not saying people who are legally entitiled should not vote - but let's use some common sense - a park bench as a home? What is the address of said bench? Can you provide a utility bill for said bench? A park bench is NOT a private address, its NOT a mailing address. If one doesn't have a homestructure, there are Post Office boxes - I used one for years. Works just fine for voter registration.

Many judges today won't use a shred of common sense, preferring to rule in a ridiculous fashion in order to avaoid "offending" someone, somewhere.

You can open as many PO boxes as you like, all over the country as long as you are willing to pay the fees.

So you really ARE saying that homeless, indigent people shouldn't vote.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

You can open as many PO boxes as you like, all over the country as long as you are willing to pay the fees.

So you really ARE saying that homeless, indigent people shouldn't vote.

Wrong. I'm saying that park benches are not considered addresses. Go to the original story.

I never said the homeless shouldn't vote.

I never said indigent people shouldn't vote.

I AM saying that in my Dad's day, this kind of ridicoulous time wasting (is a park bench an address? Let's take it to court!) wouldn't even have seen the light of day.

If you have to have an address to vote, that would imply that a homeless person can't vote. Personally, I would hesitate to call a PO box an address, because it says nothing about where you live.

I AM saying that in my Dad's day, this kind of ridicoulous time wasting (is a park bench an address? Let's take it to court!) wouldn't even have seen the light of day

I don't know how old you are. But in my dad's day, African Americans weren't able to vote as easily as white people. Tacit acceptance of common definitions only works when people share a common perspective. The more people, and the more cultures, that we have in the US, the more likely it is that we will have to spell it out.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

If you have to have an address to vote, that would imply that a homeless person can't vote. Personally, I would hesitate to call a PO box an address, because it says nothing about where you live.

I AM saying that in my Dad's day, this kind of ridicoulous time wasting (is a park bench an address? Let's take it to court!) wouldn't even have seen the light of day

I don't know how old you are. But in my dad's day, African Americans weren't able to vote as easily as white people. Tacit acceptance of common definitions only works when people share a common perspective. The more people, and the more cultures, that we have in the US, the more likely it is that we will have to spell it out.

Wendy W.

Why do I seem to be the only person here that doesn't consider a park bench an address, residence, or abode?

For the record, I'm 47. My father served in two military branches, Army and Marines, in two different wars, WWII and Korea. And I don't hink he would consider a park bench an abode, either!

[
For the record, I'm 47. My father served in two military branches, Army and Marines, in two different wars, WWII and Korea. And I don't hink he would consider a park bench an abode, either!

Well, young man, a PO Box certainly isn't an abode, unless you are a very small contortionist.

And since anyone can open as many PO Boxes as they want in all 50 states, how would that prevent multiple registrations anyway?

Well, young man, a PO Box certainly isn't an abode, unless you are a very small contortionist.

And since anyone can open as many PO Boxes as they want in all 50 states, how would that prevent multiple registrations anyway?

You are correct. Ohio residency requirements do not use address, simply abode - which equates to the place one dwells, or lives. I remember having to show proof of address, I guess not anymore.

Funny, I bet if I moved my family to a public location, i.e. park bench, and set up housekeeping, I'll bet we would be thrown out, even though it seems I can legally call it my residence.

And multiple PO boxes wouldn't prevent multiple voting at all, just make it a trifle harder than listing every bench on public property....

Sorry man, you're not going to find many here who will agree with you. That "common sense" legislation that the left loves to say they support does not apply to things that may hurt their chances of getting in office. The problem here is that people could register to vote in any district by claiming they sleep on some bench somewhere in it. Forget multiple vote fraud, think about how some motivated, biased, get-out-the-vote types could register a bunch of transients in a battleground district then bus them in to vote. That might put a little sway in a tight race.

I'm all for every citizen voting, so long as they can prove they are a citizen and are who they say they are. Many people are against that though for some reason. I've always wondered why.
Oh, hello again!

He fought for his country? Good for him!

Don't know what the fuck it has to do with his authority on matters of election law, though.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

If it had been black men that had been able to vote, exclusively, in the past I would have said black man.

The history is the history. I wasn't referring to race exclsively. The 'man' was as significant as 'white'. Women couldn't vote either.

Don't see a race card where it isn't intended.>:( This was a citizen's right to vote comment.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

>Well, since I don't have to show a photo ID in a lot of places.....borrow someone's
>electric bill, smudge the address, forge the name - PRESTO!

You go to jail! At which point the problems of having an address will be solved for you.

You can live anywhere you like. You could camp in a wilderness somewhere and put your address as "the Anza-Borrego Desert near Indian Wash." You could put the address as a park. You don't need an address to vote for some things, but you _do_ need it for others (i.e. someone who lives in Nevada can't vote for a California senator.) It does not, however, have to meet your approval as an abode to qualify.

>Well, since I don't have to show a photo ID in a lot of places.....borrow someone's
>electric bill, smudge the address, forge the name - PRESTO!

You go to jail! At which point the problems of having an address will be solved for you.

C'mon. Do you really think that the little old ladies taking names at the polls are gonna catch something like that, if it's done halfway decent? Mickey mouse is registered in Florida as a voter! And, if I use absentee ballots (which seem to be all the rage in Milwaukee), it gets even easier.

And YES, where I vote, out in the boonies, it's run by sweet elderly ladies......

If it had been black men that had been able to vote, exclusively, in the past I would have said black man.

The history is the history. I wasn't referring to race exclsively. The 'man' was as significant as 'white'. Women couldn't vote either.

Don't see a race card where it isn't intended.>:( This was a citizen's right to vote comment.

Say what you will but i do believe the topic was on what constitutes a legal place of residence in order to vote and as you said "All anybody wanted was the ability to vote once no matter what their circumstance." what does circumstance have to do with color?.....I will tell you,absolutly nothing so the coment you made about going back to only white males voting was out of line.If you have a valid point as to why white males and there voting history played a part in this topic i will gladly listen.I do also believe that every citizen has the right to vote. Not the ones that are clean, not the ones that have homes, not just the ones that know where their next meal is coming from. But being white or black or who could or couldnt vote over 60 years ago is not the issue.You could have just as easily said do you think we should let only people who live in houses vote to get your point across.

So, can I list my DZ as an address too and vote multiple times now? How about the the airplane hanger.....

http://dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2008/10/28/ajudgerule.html?sid=101

I personally think that homeless people have a right to vote assuming they meet the "criteria", and I don't think one of those is a "roof above your head".

>Do you really think that the little old ladies taking names at the polls are
>gonna catch something like that, if it's done halfway decent? Mickey mouse is
>registered in Florida as a voter!

Not surprising. Two of them live there:

Mousee, Mickey
7927 Longbay Blvd
Sarasota, FL 34243

Mouse, Mickey
1550 Haverhill Rd N
West Palm Beach, FL 33417

> And, if I use absentee ballots (which seem to be all the rage in Milwaukee), it
>gets even easier.

Easier to catch, you mean. Four people vote from the same address with the same name - they know it's fraud. People with no address and a fake name - fraud. People with a valid name and an address (even if you don't like it) - legal.

Mousee, Mickey
7927 Longbay Blvd
Sarasota, FL 34243

Mouse, Mickey
1550 Haverhill Rd N

> And, if I use absentee ballots (which seem to be all the rage in Milwaukee), it
>gets even easier.

Easier to catch, you mean. Four people vote from the same address with the same name - they know it's fraud. People with no address and a fake name - fraud. People with a valid name and an address (even if you don't like it) - legal.

ONLY IF SOMEONE IS ACTUALLY CHECKING...

Mousee, Mickey
7927 Longbay Blvd
Sarasota, FL 34243

Mouse, Mickey
1550 Haverhill Rd N

>gets even easier.

ONLY IF SOMEONE IS ACTUALLY CHECKING...

That's the easy part. In Chicago we just go down to the cemetary and check the name on the headstone.;)