billvon

McCain wins debate!

There was no clear winner in this debate. Both candidates were coherent, and neither showed any of the weaknesses they have in previous public appearances. In many ways, the debate was more about seeing if one candidate could catch the other candidate in a moment of weakness. But McCain had none of the senior moments he's had in the past, and Obama did not come across as timid as he sometimes did in previous events.

I thought that Obama did look weak towards the end of this clip when they were discussing Ahmadinejad. McCain's sarcasm was very effective there. However, I think Obama was strong enough in the rest of the debate so it didn't make that much of a difference overall.

There was no clear winner in this debate. Both candidates were coherent, and neither showed any of the weaknesses they have in previous public appearances. In many ways, the debate was more about seeing if one candidate could catch the other candidate in a moment of weakness. But McCain had none of the senior moments he's had in the past, and Obama did not come across as timid as he sometimes did in previous events.

I thought that Obama did look weak towards the end of this clip when they were discussing Ahmadinejad. McCain's sarcasm was very effective there. However, I think Obama was strong enough in the rest of the debate so it didn't make that much of a difference overall.

That was the part that I liked the best. Sen. Obama could not get out from underneath his "no-preconditions" comment with Iran. Sen. McCain nailed it: "So let me get this straight, we sit down with Ahmadinejad, he says, 'we're going to wipe Israel off the face of the earth' and we say, 'no you're not'...oh please." It wasn't a knock out, but really showed the lack of depth in Sen. Obama's position.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

That was the part that I liked the best. Sen. Obama could not get out from underneath his "no-preconditions" comment with Iran. Sen. McCain nailed it: "So let me get this straight, we sit down with Ahmadinejad, he says, 'we're going to wipe Israel off the face of the earth' and we say, 'no you're not'...oh please." It wasn't a knock out, but really showed the lack of depth in Sen. Obama's position.

I agree. The "no-preconditions" statement is simply unsupportable in some circumstances and he should just let go of it.

But let's face it, there's no way this election will be decided on anything other than the economy. And that puts McCain at a distinct disadvantage.

Edited to add: Democrats would be very wrong to underestimate McCain's skills as a debater. He is very good at finding weaknesses and really nailing the other guy. Here's a great moment from an exchange with Romney during the primaries. He basically took Romney's tacked-on "change" message and turned it around to emphasize how many issues he's flip flopped on.

I agree. The "no-preconditions" statement is simply unsupportable in some circumstances and he should just let go of it.

But let's face it, there's no way this election will be decided on anything other than the economy. And that puts McCain at a distinct disadvantage.

I'm not willing to resign to that yet. Neither candidate is setting the agenda yet, and depending on what happens this weekend, the mark will either go up, and stabilize very quickly (thus non-issue) or it won't (thus issue)....;)
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I'm not willing to resign to that yet. Neither candidate is setting the agenda yet, and depending on what happens this weekend, the mark will either go up, and stabilize very quickly (thus non-issue) or it won't (thus issue)....;)

Sorry but it's a structural liability we're talking about. American's may be at odds about the bailout and whether or not it will help them personally. But there's one thing that almost everyone agrees on: we got in this mess because someone was asleep at the wheel. And there's no way for Republicans to finesse all those years of unconditional deregulation that they've been advocating. This economic crisis is an object lesson that we can't just let people do whatever they want in a free market.

Sen. McCain nailed it: "So let me get this straight, we sit down with Ahmadinejad, he says, 'we're going to wipe Israel off the face of the earth' and we say, 'no you're not'...oh please."

Obama blew the chance to tell McCain that the whole "wipe Israel off the map" bit is a complete fairy tail invented by the Israel-firsters, but then Obama has his hand in that cookie jar, too.

So . . . all things considered, I'd say it was a tie: 0-0
“Keep your elbow up!"

i am not kidding ... aren't you watching the debates ?

edit to add:
i predict that the polls will flip shortly ...

Sen. McCain towered over Sen. Obama in the debate. Everywhere you saw Sen. Obama say something akin to, "We agree" was because he was out of his depth. Sen. McCain plainly showed his grasp of the facts.

Was it a knock out, no.

As debates go, it was far more substantive than debates in the past.

I agree. What Obama showed me last night is his foriegn policy is idealistic both militarily and diplomatically. Economically I feel Obama won even though I tend to agree with McCain's policy more than Obama's. then again I run a small business so it shouldn't be surprising that I don't want my company to have to pay more taxes. Of course I won't absorb that cost....I'm just going to pass it on to my customers. And my suppliers will pass it on to me which again I'll pass on to my customers. Everytime I hear Obama mention 95% of the American people will not have their taxes raised, I cringe because people are buying it. Pun intended.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

>Everytime I hear Obama mention 95% of the American people will not have
>their taxes raised, I cringe because people are buying it.

The American people will, in the end, pay for every penny of both Obama and McCain's tax cuts. Pretending that someone else will pay the debt can make one feel better, but has no basis in reality.

I agree but making it more difficult and more expensive to do business is not something I would ever agree with.

Isn't it short-sighted to look at tomorrow's taxes and not several years/decades from now? It took Clinton 8 years to go from a 250B/yr debt increase to 33B/yr increase, then King George threw it up over 500B/yr on a whim. Do you think this debt thing is a joke? Do you think it's a meaningless number? The future will show us that it certainly is not.

the pre-conditions argument is semantics, Obama is not saying that he'll sit across from these folks and bend over and readily make concessions. He's just saying bluntly cutting off ties doesn't work.

its not idealism, its reality, you can't wait to have diplomatic talks until all your major differences are resolved, In general lack of diplomatic missions to a country just polarizes the relationship into a perfect us vs. them. and any conservative voice in the country (Iran for example) gets weakened and the anti-U.S folks get stronger.

At least I'm not the only one who saw it that way, I wanted to see McCain mop the floor with Obama but after the debate saw it as pretty even. What saddened me was that when I saw the interviews with all the undecided voters who watched the debate about 2/3 said they though Obama won and when asked what made them lean that way their replies were along the lines of, "McCain moves his hands when he talks a lot like Bush does and I don't like that". So like I've been saying for months now, the next four years for our country are being decided by the idiots of America.

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Why, oh why, did McCain keep saying he was not the "Miss Congeniality" of this and that? It would make sense if Obama's VP pick was Palin, instead it just seemed like he was degrading his own partner. I wonder how that made her feel?

Watch for the following lines from McCain in the next presidential debate:

"I wasn't voted Miss Junior Rodeo of ..." (reference to his current wife)
"I wasn't a swimsuit model for ..." (reference to his first wife)
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Why, oh why, did McCain keep saying he was not the "Miss Congeniality" of this and that? It would make sense if Obama's VP pick was Palin, instead it just seemed like he was degrading his own partner. I wonder how that made her feel?

Watch for the following lines from McCain in the next presidential debate:

"I wasn't voted Miss Junior Rodeo of ..." (reference to his current wife)
"I wasn't a swimsuit model for ..." (reference to his first wife)

Interesting statement. If you look at David Letterman when he asked why McCain blew him off, ostensibly to 'suspend his campaign to deal with the financial crisis" (only to do an interview in Washington on ABC news), Letterman said, why don't you send your VP to continue your campaign in your absence??

Which is what a VP is supposed to do when a President is called away suddenly on important business.

So why didn't McCain do that with his supposed Vice President Palin?????

:o:o:o:o
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------