airtwardo

Civil unrest ~ election results

I had an interesting conversation today with a friend that is a Police Officer on a Tac Squad in a large city.

He was telling me about the training scenarios & contingency plans currently being studied in regard to the 'expected' civil unrest should the presidential election go to the retired fighter pilot.

Anybody else think this is weird in a real scary kinda way? :|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Nope they'll have all sorts of Just-in-case plans.

One is probably to make sure that if JmcC becomes the Prez and snuffs it that a team quickly takes out the Nutter Woman before shes takes control:P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I had an interesting conversation today with a friend that is a Police Officer on a Tac Squad in a large city.

He was telling me about the training scenarios & contingency plans currently being studied in regard to the 'expected' civil unrest should the presidential election go to the retired fighter pilot.

Anybody else think this is weird in a real scary kinda way? :|

It's not all that surprising. White Republicans do not really have a history of rioting when political or judicial events don't go their way. Other demographics, well, do.
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

I think "Duke" is tied up for the next few years and is, therefore, unavailable to run for any election! It was sad to see someone of his background fall so low.
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"...Rudyard Kipling

Some consider the ww2 vet's the "greatest generation"
I have always considered the kid's of the late 60's and early 70's as the greatest generation.
They got off their colective ass's and changed the direction of this country, they got shot for it, they got beat for it, but the fact is, for a short time washington feared the citizens were going to revolt.
Civil unrest IMO is as american as apple pie and a healthy democratic exercise.
right now however, the only concern is, How to keep all the independent video of the beatings and shootings off the tv at night.

g

Oh, and I like how its "white" Republicans.

Do black Republicans have a history of rioting? Is that why you felt the need to make the distinction?

Perhaps I should have said, "Republicans (largely white) don't ..."

Look, the issue raised by the thread starter is the notion that if Obama in particular fails to get elected, we'll run the very real possibility of civil unrest; riots, claims of a fix being in, claims of disenfranchisement, voter abuse, ballot fraud -- all of which will be predicated on the idea that Obama's victory is a foregone conclusion and that the only way he'll have lost is if misdeeds led to that.

Does anyone really think that there is equilibrium between the potential for McCain voters to get angry and violent over a loss versus the potential for Obama voters to get angry and violent over a loss?

You can call it racially bigoted if you like. That won't change the reality, and the reality that there will be many black voters voting for Obama, far more than there will be black voters voting for any other candidate in the race. And if they are disappointed, it will probably mean a lot more to them to have their candidate lose than it has meant to any other group who has lost an election in the past. The racial realities of this election cannot be ignored; but some people are sure trying. Every time I read some article or editorial about how people are not choosing along racial lines this time around, it makes me scoff.

I am not, myself, voting against Obama because of his race, by the way. If Alan West is on my Florida ballot, he will get my vote. (Black veteran, for those who don't know.) I'd vote for Alan Keyes if he ran for president. I am NOT against voting for a black person, so anyone who wants to call me a bigot for opposing Obama, or raising the subject of race, go hang.
Imaginations on fire

but the fact is, for a short time washington feared the citizens were going to revolt.
Civil unrest IMO is as american as apple pie and a healthy democratic exercise.

"Civil unrest" is not "as American as apple pie." (Did you forget that "American" gets capitalized?) "Civil UNREST" is an UNDESIRABLE THING. You're talking about RIOTS and VIOLENCE and destruction of lives and property as though they are a healthy part of political discourse. They are the worst case scenario that follows the breakdown of political discourse.

YES, the government should always act with the understanding that an enraged, oppressed populace will rise up to kick its ass (one reason for remaining armed, by the way), but that doesn't mean we should LIKE it when things break down into "civil unrest." Violence is a LAST resort. Do you really believe that we have reached the point where things should get done through violence?
Imaginations on fire

claims of a fix being in, claims of disenfranchisement, voter abuse, ballot fraud -- all of which will be predicated on the idea that Obama's victory is a foregone conclusion and that the only way he'll have lost is if misdeeds led to that.

Dude - that's ANY TIME the Dems don't win.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I think it is prudent to plan for such a scenario, one which will play out if Obama is not elected.

Bullshit. You people are exactly what is keeping this country from moving forward. I think you know it, and I think in a sick way you are proud of it, too.

Here's some ideas to help with the problem:

Maybe we should start rounding them up now. You know, since we're sure they're going to start riots if Obama loses. Maybe we should start branding them, that way they'll be easier to track. Hey, I know, if we assigned all of them to one of us to watch over, maybe call the responsible ones something like "master" it'll be easier to keep control of them.

What do you guys think? It'll be just like the good old days.

- Dan G

Randy Cunningham ?

he used to be able to scramble like no one else...

He learned from Rangle. But he is not as good as Rangle:P
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Hmmm...I don't think it's a bad idea, but I don't think we'll see a riot. Training is never a bad thing, but I think the likelihood quite small.

Senator Obama, to his credit, seems to have steered the discourse away from his race and onto issues. I'm quite pleased by that and I think it's something to admire about the man - probably what has bigots $harpton and Jack$on at odds with him, truth be told. Je$$e wouldn't have wanted to castrate him had the Senator been playing the race pimp line and soliciting Je$$e's help in doing so (Anvil opinion; it's dead on).

:)

Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

They got off their colective ass's and changed the direction of this country, they got shot for it, they got beat for it, but the fact is, for a short time washington feared the citizens were going to revolt.

Yep, that was a good thing. Our folks in Washington ought to fear that every single morning and act accordingly.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Nope they'll have all sorts of Just-in-case plans.

One is probably to make sure that if JmcC becomes the Prez and snuffs it that a team quickly takes out the Nutter Woman before shes takes control:P

LOL. Good one
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

I'm really not sure what your perception of Democratic social programs has to do with post-election riots by "a certain type of people".

I actually don't support a lot of the things that the Democratic party espouses. I just happen to think Obama will be a better choice for President at the current time than McCain. If McCain were the same man he was in 2000, I'd probably feel the opposite way.

I tend to be fairly conservative fiscally, am very much a believer in the Constitution (the whole thing, not just the 2nd Amendment), but am liberal socially. It is the quite astounding social backwardness of the Republican party that disgusts me. Especially the "covert" racism displayed by many of the more diehard types here in SC.

- Dan G

I actually don't support a lot of the things that the Democratic party espouses. I just happen to think Obama will be a better choice for President at the current time than McCain. If McCain were the same man he was in 2000, I'd probably feel the opposite way.

I tend to be fairly conservative fiscally, am very much a believer in the Constitution (the whole thing, not just the 2nd Amendment), but am liberal socially. It is the quite astounding social backwardness of the Republican party that disgusts me. Especially the "covert" racism displayed by many of the more diehard types here in SC.

What he said.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)