gonzalesna

Question for those who don't believe in a higher power.

It is OK to not know something

This is the part I wish more people understood, religion being but one topic to which it is applicable. If more people were willing to admit, "I don't know", this forum would get 80% fewer posts. :D

Blues,
Dave

You'd see a lot less from me! :D

(Just kidding. I know everything, so I'd still never shut up.) :P
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

It is OK to not know something

This is the part I wish more people understood, religion being but one topic to which it is applicable. If more people were willing to admit, "I don't know", this forum would get 80% fewer posts. :D
Blues,
Dave
>:( Come on now Dave, you're not usually prone to exaggeration... why start now?
You know darn well that

If more people were willing to admit, "I don't know", this forum would.....

NOT STILL HAVE 20% of its post here MAYBE 1/2 that. :D:D:D:D;)
It's pretty pathetic when you have to TELL people you're fucking cool Skymama «narrative»This thread will lock in 3..2.. What a load of narrow-minded Xenophobic Bullshit!-squeak

God isnt out there....God is here. God is everything including us....we make up God like cells make up organs. We are devine......

Thou art God!
I GROK!! :)
I'm a FOSTERITE:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Science has proven long ago that matter cannot be created, nor destroyed. It can be broken apart into the smallest pieces of matter: protons, neutrons and electrons, but it never goes away.

Where do you feel it all came from?

If you're interested in learning more about this, go to YouTube and key in a search for "string theory nova." The results will give you a PBS documentary about string theory and M theory...really fascinating stuff.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

I still don't get why people are hung up on the idea that the universe has a beginning or ending as far as creation goes. Granted everything we experience has a visible beginning and ending, but its akin to thinking the world was flat. I find it humorous that those who believe in a "higher being" accept the notion that something could exist forever in some unknown place without ever being "created" and have all sorts of superpowers, but refuse to admit there is the same possibility the universe could simply just be infinite. Mathmatics has the concept of infinity, we teach kids in highschool/middleschool about the "line" and since math is really technically just another language used to describe observations I would have assumed the concept wouldn't have been too hard to have grasped.

How is it you can believe matter is and has always been, but it's so hard to believe a higher power exists and always has?

This is hilarious. You somehow don't realize that the same exact challenge can be made about the god you believe in, and when atheists/agnostics make that challenge, believers dismiss it. Now you're using it?!

Why can you sit back and say that God has always existed, but we can't claim equally that there's no God, and there was no necessity for one to create the universe because the universe has always existed?

I didn't say you couldn't. What I'm knocking is that you're so definitively positive that there is no way there is a God. I'm not telling you to change your views. You believe what you want, just as I do. My intent with the original post was to see if there have been any theories that have come about as to how things began. Last input I'd gotten on theories was in high school. You stated that science proves nothing. Ignorance by definition.
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

Science has proven long ago that matter cannot be created, nor destroyed. It can be broken apart into the smallest pieces of matter: protons, neutrons and electrons, but it never goes away.

If you're interested in learning more about this, go to YouTube and key in a search for "string theory nova." The results will give you a PBS documentary about string theory and M theory...really fascinating stuff.

I'll check it out.:)
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

But if you're wrong, you could have an eternity to go, "oops...":D:P

If there is a God, I would like to think he's the kind that wouldn't use FEAR as a reason to believe in him.
FEAR didn't work for me, I'll tell you that.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

But if you're wrong, you could have an eternity to go, "oops...":D:P

If there is a God, I would like to think he's the kind that wouldn't use FEAR as a reason to believe in him.
FEAR didn't work for me, I'll tell you that.

And yet, look at what the Old Testament God says just in his top ten list. Every single one of them has an unspoken " . . . or else" to it. There is always this threat of hellfire and damnation. Sorry, but if I'm going to believe in or "love" a God, it's going to have to be of my own free will and not via some sort of cosmic spousal abuse.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

And yet, look at what the Old Testament God says just in his top ten list. Every single one of them has an unspoken " . . . or else" to it. There is always this threat of hellfire and damnation. Sorry, but if I'm going to believe in or "love" a God, it's going to have to be of my own free will and not via some sort of cosmic spousal abuse.

That's the best thing i've read all day. :D

If humanity has a purpose then unity has to be it.

Humanity HAD one purpose, to pass down DNA, but with 6.8 billion people on the planet, that's not really all that important right now.

Unlike animals humans have a capability to question if they have a purpose, and come up with a personally satisfactory answer to that question, which will generally shape their outlook on life. Why do you suppose we have that capability? Does that capability in itself have a purpose? If so, why don't animals have it?
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

If humanity has a purpose then unity has to be it.

Humanity HAD one purpose, to pass down DNA, but with 6.8 billion people on the planet, that's not really all that important right now.

Unlike animals humans have a capability to question if they have a purpose, and come up with a personally satisfactory answer to that question, which will generally shape their outlook on life. Why do you suppose we have that capability? Does that capability in itself have a purpose? If so, why don't animals have it?

If you're talking about self-awareness, then you're mistaken. A number of animals have awareness of their "self", have individual identities, morn their dead . . .

If you're talking about questioning their place in the universe, then you'll have to ask one of them, but the language barrier is pretty steep.

I think way too many people think humans are somehow significantly different than the rest of the life on the planet. That's simply not true. We have, without a doubt, the most sophisticated language capabilities. That has gotten us quite a bit further in terms of us being able to pass down knowledge and therefore our "accomplishments" seem greater. We also have quite a bit of leisure time to think about stuff like this compared to the average animal that's just trying to eat or not be eaten, but I don't think that means we're somehow the creatures god put on earth to ponder about the nature of the universe.

We, as a species, need to get over ourselves.

We're nothing special.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Humans. Winners of the genetic lottery.

Luck has no purpose, it just is.

Of the many people in this world, those that believe in a higher power feel this world was created. Others have the big bang theory, as well as many more thoughts and theories. Regardless of your faith or belief, you probably have some idea as to how it all began.

It came from DeVry University. Thanks for selling out Sangrio. (Tips hat and walks away)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

>Unlike animals humans have a capability to question if they have a
>purpose, and come up with a personally satisfactory answer to that
>question, which will generally shape their outlook on life. Why do you
>suppose we have that capability?

Because other animals have the ability to be introspective as well; we just have a bigger brain.

A better question might be why birds have the capacity to fly and we don't. Are they more "chosen?" Why can't we fly if we were created in God's image? He can _certainly_ fly!

The most basic idea of what god is is:

1) A Universal Intelligence
2) The Creator

So if God were to make something in His image, it would be an entity that has 1) an Intellect and 2) has Creative powers.

That points to humans quite significantly.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Why can't we fly if we were created in God's image? He can _certainly_ fly!

Since I was a kid I've been pissed about that. I want the ability to fly....dammit!>:(>:(

After reading this thread, I have learned that I need to go to ebay and youtube for all the answers to life and creation. Awesome.:D

If you're talking about self-awareness, then you're mistaken. A number of animals have awareness of their "self", have individual identities, morn their dead . . .

If you're talking about questioning their place in the universe, then you'll have to ask one of them, but the language barrier is pretty steep.

I think way too many people think humans are somehow significantly different than the rest of the life on the planet. That's simply not true. We have, without a doubt, the most sophisticated language capabilities. That has gotten us quite a bit further in terms of us being able to pass down knowledge and therefore our "accomplishments" seem greater. We also have quite a bit of leisure time to think about stuff like this compared to the average animal that's just trying to eat or not be eaten, but I don't think that means we're somehow the creatures god put on earth to ponder about the nature of the universe.

We, as a species, need to get over ourselves.

We're nothing special.

Quoted for the truth my brother speaks!

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

The most basic idea of what god is IMAGINED TO BE is:

1) A Universal Intelligence
2) The Creator

So if God were to make something in His image, it would be an entity that has 1) an Intellect and 2) has Creative powers.

That points to humans quite significantly.

I fixed it for you. You assume there is a god out there.