Skyrad

We decended from apes and monkeys...FACT?

It would be stupid to dedicate your whole life to a theory that has no evidence. Deitys and creationism has been around for thousands of years and in that time not one shred of evidence has been found to support them. It is unreasonable to believe in any deity or creationism. If science had a similar theory that had been around for as long and also had no evidence, it would not be taken very seriously.

Something cannot come out of nothing. No science has ever been able to make something out of nothing, and by nothing I dont mean space of nothingness...I mean NOTHING. I think the initial spark of life was created, and evoltion has ben the natural progression of this existance.

Hmm sounds kind of like the Transformers cartoon spark of life and everything.

Something may possibly have created "life", but there is no evidence to support that idea. I don't pretend to know how life started, but we do have plenty of evidence of life evolving. Religion does claim to know how life started. I think that is just bull shit. They have nothing to support their beliefs. If they did then it wouldn't require faith. I have never come across any indication or evidence that any deity exists, therefore I can only conclude there are none.

Could there be a god? Yes, just like someone else said earlier in this thread there could also be invisible trolls living under my bed. Both are equally likely from what I can tell.

any indication or evidence that any deity exists

Let me point out that I am a science oriented person, but science led me to believe. If you take a look at our world from the big picture pros[pective you will notice that we are alll just One....one unit in this thing together moving forward. We are part of something much bigger. Quarks are part of atom, which are parts of moleculs which can be parts of a cell, which can be part of a kidney, which can be part of a human, who is part of the Earth system, which is part of our solar system, which is part of our galaxy, which is part of our universe, which is part of something else...and so on. It's not tat god is thee and we are here. It's that this whole thing, you me, this world...it all makes up god. Einstein said energy and mass are two ways of looking at the same thing. I will even argue that we live in a holographic world where only contriousness is real. God isnt some old guy with a white beard. God is everything around us icluding us. He is consciousness/energy
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

That's nice, but it doesn't work for me.

You can call what ever you want god, but I still don't see any evidence of an deity.

do the rice experiment :)

Why is it that those who do not beilieve are so threatened by those of strong faith (of which I am not one)? And I say threatened because I can not think of any other reason to do so[:/]

Well, thats a pretty simple question when you consider the possible implications for society if (not that there is an if in my mind) religion is ever debunked and accepted as such.

1) Means that millions have died in vein over the course of history if every war ever fought over religion was, at best, a contest over who had the better imaginary friend.
2) What if we put all the time, energy and money that people put into religion into solving world hunger, fixing the energy crisis, intergrating sustainability into every aspect of our lives, preserving biodiversity, balancing the budget, and a host of other initiatives? I bet we could have made some pretty significant progress on having a better world so far! That is something worthy of getting upset over in my mind.
3) Consider that to most non-believers, belief in the Christian God (or any, really) is equally as laughable as believing in Zues or santa clause. And it is taught as a fundamental part of their cause that they should go out and make others believe the same. For us, thats a good harty laugh right there! Wouldn't you laugh too if someone tried to get you to accept Zeus as your personal savior:D?

Basically, if you talk bad to rice, it will turn bad. I think the million dollar prize is offered to anyone who can prove it in a clinical setting under controlled conditions. So, if people out there really think it works, I don't understand why they're not going out there and becoming instant millionaires.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

Why is it that those who do not beilieve are so threatened by those of strong faith (of which I am not one)? And I say threatened because I can not think of any other reason to do so[:/]

Well, thats a pretty simple question when you consider the possible implications for society if (not that there is an if in my mind) religion is ever debunked and accepted as such.

1) Means that millions have died in vein over the course of history if every war ever fought over religion was, at best, a contest over who had the better imaginary friend.
2) What if we put all the time, energy and money that people put into religion into solving world hunger, fixing the energy crisis, intergrating sustainability into every aspect of our lives, preserving biodiversity, balancing the budget, and a host of other initiatives? I bet we could have made some pretty significant progress on having a better world so far! That is something worthy of getting upset over in my mind.
3) Consider that to most non-believers, belief in the Christian God (or any, really) is equally as laughable as believing in Zues or santa clause. And it is taught as a fundamental part of their cause that they should go out and make others believe the same. For us, thats a good harty laugh right there! Wouldn't you laugh too if someone tried to get you to accept Zeus as your personal savior:D?

Religion is evil. It's a business, its a killing maching, it segregates. There is a difference between spirituality and religion. Sprirituality however is the true form of belief.

Basically, if you talk bad to rice, it will turn bad. I think the million dollar prize is offered to anyone who can prove it in a clinical setting under controlled conditions. So, if people out there really think it works, I don't understand why they're not going out there and becoming instant millionaires.

Do you think millionaires become millionaires without having the intention (or the belief) that that's what they will become? In essence YOU create your physical reality around you by intending for it to happen. Everything that happens around you is your work.You are never a victim, You are always the creator. And the rice experiment works if you intend for it to work and believe that it will. Professional athletes get good by believing that they can be, Same concept.

[sarcasm]Oh well that is so much more credible now![/sarcasm]

I don't buy any of that.

What is that saying. Luck is where preperation meets opportunity? I can't remember who said that.

People become millionaires because of what the do physically not by mentally controlling the world around them.

Do you think millionaires become millionaires without having the intention (or the belief) that that's what they will become? In essence YOU create your physical reality around you by intending for it to happen. Everything that happens around you is your work.You are never a victim, You are always the creator. And the rice experiment works if you intend for it to work and believe that it will. Professional athletes get good by believing that they can be, Same concept.

Sounds the teachings of Dr. Dwayne Dyer, or maybe The Secret -- all interesting stuff.

However, why can't "Intention" be considered to work just the same without all the spiritual mumbo-jumbo?

If you make up your mind to achieve something, why can't that process be considered a total internal function of the mind followed by action to make it happen? I agree that a positive mindset does one a lot of good, just not so sure that any form of spirituality is requisite to the process.

. . =(_8^(1)

Well, how is anyone to separate what the Church twisted around from what comes straight from God's mouth? The Church represents it all as the word of God. There are no footnotes that say, "*Don't take this part literally."

It seems very clear, lately, that whenever critics of Church doctrine appear with valid criticism, the religious folks blush and say, "Oh, THAT part was never meant to be taken literally." It's a preposterous cop-out.

Now, as for this "purgatory" thing, I thought the murdered guy would go to HELL if he died in a state of unconfessed sin. Now you say he goes to some quasi-hell? What exactly is purgatory? And wasn't the idea of it introduced a while after the whole story was told? I thought purgatory was a sort of "recent creation" of the Church.

IF that is correct, then I would ask, how the hell can anyone put faith in the idea that purgatory is a legitimate part of God's structure for the afterlife if it remained an undisclosed one all that time before finally being spoken of? Once again, seems like a total cop-out.

No more a copout than asking all Christians how their god could be real because of something odd (in your opinion) that the Catholics do. Or saying the Bible must be crap because it says the world is only 6000 years old.

The various Christian sects all have a general set of beliefs on the existence of God and Jesus, but then diverge on the details. Some choose not to take certain passages literally. The Sacrament appears to be one with all sorts of differing views.

There's no doubt that man's greed and desire for power has corrupted the church throughout history. Many of the splinter sects formed as a result. I believe that this is a significant aspect in the Muslim world and it's war against the West. Does it invalidate the religion? I don't believe so.

I meant that the Million Dollar Challenge offers $1 million to anyone that can prove in agreed upon, controlled settings that the specified paranormal phenomenon works. So, if the rice experiment works, why isn't anyone taking on the challenge of proving it in a controlled setting to win the million?

In essence YOU create your physical reality around you by intending for it to happen. Everything that happens around you is your work.You are never a victim, You are always the creator.

Would you have the guts to say that to a starving child? Would you tell them all they have to do is think positively?
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

Religion is evil. It's a business, its a killing maching, it segregates. There is a difference between spirituality and religion. Sprirituality however is the true form of belief.

Please tell me specifically what that difference is.

Sure...
Spirituality to me is the idea that we are One. We are granted 5 senses: touch, smell, hear, smell and vision. We also have a 6th sense, a 3rd eye i you will. Spirituality helps you develop this sense. It's the idea that all situations in your life have a meaning, and that there is a reality all around us that is purely consciousness and energy, but not physical. In his world everything is bliss, and through the development of you this 6th sense you attin the entrnace to this non physical world, and thus attain happiness. You will most likely agree that we see true joy throuh non-tangible things in life, such as success. Through physical things we get instant gratification, but never joy that last over life time,

At the root of every good religion is spirituality. Here is where religion goes wrong. Every religion dresses itself up to gainits own identity. Think of the way a cathlic priest is dresses, or think of Hassidic jews wearing blask suit with a black hat. Think of Muslims and the way they dress. Think of the cup of wine representing Jesus blood. Think of the incense. All these physical thing are simply done to gain identity. Every religion thinkgs its right and all other religion are wrong. That's BS. This is how pople segregate. I dont think God wants us segregated. On the contrary we need to come to gather as a human race. Religions are business. The bible mentions that you pay the church 10% of your money. Gos is a businessman? HA!. And lets get to the kicker. Think of all the wars and all the death that comes with religion. That's not what God wants.

adited to add: my apologies for my spelling

Think of all the wars and all the death that comes with religion. That's not what God wants.

Wait, I thought God was everything (which would include war, death, etc...). Now you're telling us that God isn't everything and that God wants things ... I'm confused, what is God and what does God want?
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

I meant that the Million Dollar Challenge offers $1 million to anyone that can prove in agreed upon, controlled settings that the specified paranormal phenomenon works. So, if the rice experiment works, why isn't anyone taking on the challenge of proving it in a controlled setting to win the million?

Check out the work of the following scientists. This is exactly what they do:

William Tiller, Ph.D. (www.tiller.org) graduated with a B.A.Sc. in 1952 with a degree in Engineering Physics from the University of Toronto. He also has an M.A.Sc. and a Ph.D. from the University of Toronto. He worked for nine years in the Westinghouse Research Laboratory with theoretical and experimental investigation into the detailed physics of the freezing process of a wide range of materials; i. e., water, metals, semiconductors, oxides and polymers. He also investigated the relationships between the crystallization process and the detailed structure and properties of the solid. He exploited this knowledge of crystallization to generate new processes for ingot casting, material purification, single crystal growth, chemical crystallizers, etc.

Dean Radin is Senior Scientist at the Institute of Noetic Sciences (IONS) in Petaluma, California. For the past twenty years, he has conducted experimental studies of psi (“psychic”) phenomena in academia and industry, including appointments at Princeton University, University of Edinburgh, University of Nevada, and SRI International, the latter as a visiting scientist on a classified program of psi research. Before joining the IONS research staff, he was in charge of a research program at Interval Research Corporation (a Silicon Valley consumer electronics laboratory) and he was President of the Boundary Institute (a nonprofit research think-tank dedicated to the exploration of the boundaries between physics and consciousness).

Dr. Masaru Emoto (www.masaru-emoto.net) is an internationally renowned researcher who has gained worldwide acclaim by showing how water is deeply connected to our individual and collective consciousness. His message is simple, profound, and far-reaching. His photographs can be seen in Messages from Water Vols. I, II, and III (over one million sold internationally in twenty languages) and in The Hidden Messages in Water (over 500,000 copies in print in eleven languages), The True Power of Water, and The Secret Life of Water.

Born in 1943 in Japan, Emoto is a graduate of the Yokohama Municipal University’s Department of Humanities and Sciences with a focus on international relations. In 1992 he received certification from the Open International University as a Doctor of Alternative Medicine. Subsequently he was introduced to the concept of micro-cluster water in the United States. Thus began his quest to discover the mystery of water. Over time he realized that in its frozen crystal form, water shows us its true power.