Andrewwhyte

New Yorker Cover. Has America completely become unable to accept Satire?

So let me get this straight. You have serious concerns that Obama and his wife's hand jazz is really a form of sign language covering up the fact that she is a secret Islamist terrorist?

No. That's not the concern discussed in my circles. Obama has proven himself to be an eloquent speaker, who hits all the right notes. The White House is not a musical instrument, and the man is not fit to inhabit it, IMO.

Okayy,...so you are concerned that he is an eloquent speaker, and you don't want an eloquent speaker in the White House? Not sure what the mag cover has to do with that.

I guess he must be overjoyed by the tongue-tied ineloquence of the current occupant.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

On a World scale the USofA is NOT noted for having a sense of irony or satirical wit

If the world is the scale, the US comes off pretty well. No one is demanding the people at the New Yorker be shot or hanged.

Consider the hate material put out by the skin heads portraying blacks as apes and Jews as giant nosed monsters. The New Yorker printing that would get quite a reaction, no?

The Obama covers lies between that extreme, and something no one would even take note of. Given the number of Republicans that believe the cover at face value, I tend to think it was a disservice, rather than effective satire.

OTOH, who the fuck actually reads the New Yorker? Are there many magazines more irrelevant than it?

and you don't want an eloquent speaker in the White House?

I want someone who is much more than an eloquent speaker in the White House. I want someone who is much more than a junior senator from Illinois. I want someone who didn't get his start in Chicago politics. I want someone who didn't spend 20 years listening to a raving lunatic like the Reverend White. And the list keeps getting bigger every day.
We are all engines of karma

I want someone who is much more than an eloquent speaker in the White House. I want someone who is much more than a junior senator from Illinois. I want someone who didn't get his start in Chicago politics. I want someone who didn't spend 20 years listening to a raving lunatic like the Reverend White. And the list keeps getting bigger every day.

If we could arrange to shoot the other senator from Illinois, making Obama the senior, would that help? Are there any other cities that disqualify a candidate, or is Chicago the only one? What if he spent twenty years listening to Jerry Falwell and Rush Limbaugh?
You really haven't given us anything of substance here.

>I want someone who is much more than an eloquent speaker in the White House.

The reason I will be voting for him is not his speeches - it's the books he wrote. I want someone intelligent, thoughtful and considerate in the White House, and from his books that comes through pretty clearly.

Sugar coat it all you wish. Most of understand what it is you want ...and don't want.
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

OTOH, who the fuck actually reads the New Yorker? Are there many magazines more irrelevant than it?

Really?

The New Yorker is one of the most respected, and widely read, magazines in the country.

Or was that satire that I missed?

I hope so.

- Dan G

I thought it quite funny. People are too thin skinned.

:S

I have to ask, what aspect was funny to you?

I think it funny because it is "aimed" at the right. But since they did it so bad many do not get it.

What did one talking head on CNN say about it? Something like, if they really wanted to get thier point across they SHOULD have depicted Rush Limbaugh drawing the cartoon.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

The people who forward the absurd anti-Obama chain emails (I've had dozens so far this year) are unlikely to recognize satire if it stands on its hind legs and bites them on the nose.

Does the GOP have a special rumor-mill office that starts these stories?

Wow, you didnt get the cartoon did you??:o
Abraham Lincoln

> Yeah, I'm a little confused at why the left is so up in arms about this.

I don't get it either. As Obama said to Larry King recently, "it's a _cartoon_, Larry."

Exactly!

So why now, is the Obama camp using this so much?

I mean, all we can do is guess but, some thoughts come to mind very easily, from both sides. Just look at this thread.
Abraham Lincoln

What did one talking head on CNN say about it? Something like, if they really wanted to get thier point across they SHOULD have depicted Rush Limbaugh drawing the cartoon.

That would have been good in a "laugh track" kind of way. Given the readership of the New Yorker they probably wouldn't have thought it necessary.

That would have been good in a "laugh track" kind of way. Given the readership of the New Yorker they probably wouldn't have thought it necessary.

True, but since many think this cartoon was a shot at Obama, I think the attempt was a complete failure
Abraham Lincoln

Exactly!

So why now, is Obama camp using this so much?

I mean, all we can do is guess but, some thoughts come to mind very easily, from both sides. Just look at this thread.

Perhaps because those in his camp are more acutely aware than him of the perils of coming off as an intellectual elitist. If Obama says something that can be (mis)portrayed as, "no problem, those of us who are smart enough understood it," the Repubs win the round.

The people who forward the absurd anti-Obama chain emails (I've had dozens so far this year) are unlikely to recognize satire if it stands on its hind legs and bites them on the nose.

Interesting non-sequitur.:|

>So why now, is the Obama camp using this so much?

?? Obama is the one saying "it's just a cartoon, get over it."

I did not say Obama, I said his "camp".

And I am not saying he is the only one that says one thing and his people say and do another.

But I guess one might think this would not be be case here since, he is a different kind of politition. You know, different, one that will change ah, well change ... .... (ah dammit) well change something:D
Abraham Lincoln

True, but since many think this cartoon was a shot at Obama, I think the attempt was a complete failure

Many in the general population, but how many in their target audience? Just because it is a liberal mag doesn't mean they are in the stumping for the Dems business.

YOU REALLY DID NOT GET IT DID YOU???

:D:D
Abraham Lincoln

Many in the general population, but how many in their target audience? Just because it is a liberal mag doesn't mean they are in the stumping for the Dems business.

Good point.

It sure spread out of that crowd however.
Abraham Lincoln

>I did not say Obama, I said his "camp".

I agree that some Obama supporters have 'gone off the deep end' over this cartoon. It's really not worth getting worked up about it.

>But I guess one might think this would not be be case here since, he is a
>different kind of politition.

Well, having a politition for a president would certainly be a big change!

>I did not say Obama, I said his "camp".

I agree that some Obama supporters have 'gone off the deep end' over this cartoon. It's really not worth getting worked up about it.agreed

>But I guess one might think this would not be be case here since, he is a
>different kind of politition.

Well, having a politition for a president would certainly be a big change!

anything for change:)
Abraham Lincoln

YOU REALLY DID NOT GET IT DID YOU???

:D:D

Get real, Marc. We've even had the "Hussein Obama" tripe posted on here. Clearly there are a lot of people who believe it.

Consider the hate material put out by the skin heads portraying blacks as apes and Jews as giant nosed monsters. The New Yorker printing that would get quite a reaction, no?

Yep, what's next? Remember the Inquirer cover with Hillary and Batboy?

If that cartoon had appeared on the Inquirer, it would have been a lawsuit. However, people are trying to give it legitimacy when it is really just crap to sell magazines.

Because it is on the cover of New Yorker, it is "intellectual". Put a bear in a garage, it's not a car.
Look at it for what it is, not where it is.

Sensationalism at its slimiest.
It worked. Everyone is talking about it.

Next weeks cover. "Is Batboy the lovechild of Obama and Hillary?"