Conundrum

Fat people are offended by Pixar's WALL-E

:S

All this from mega-company Disney, who wants us to buy WALL-E kitsch for our kids that are manufactured in China at environment-destroying factories and packed in plastic that will take hundreds of year to biodegrade in our landfills.

A book came out in the early 1970s, translated from Spanish (written in Chile) called "How to read Donald Duck"

It was amazing. Written by leftists, it was banned in South America and Disney unsuccessfully tried to sue and stop the American version. Showed how Disney perpetuated Capitalism and stereotypes....

The authors reminded us that Goofy is a dog who wears clothes and drives a car. But Pluto is a dog too! And Goofy bosses Pluto around! What is that all about?:o

My favorite part though, was about Sex as portrayed in the Disney comics. Mickey and Minnie have been dating for 60 years. Same with Donald and Daisy. You never see their brothers and sisters....Yet they both have nephews....where did they come from? Maybe Huey, Dewie, and Louie were actually their 'love children'?? And when they show parents, like Bambi's mother, baby Lion King's dad, they get killed off early in the game! (although Dumbo's mother was only put in chains and separated from her son).....No sex in Disney.....

And of course, neither Don or Daisy wear pants! :S

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

Oh c'mon... You've got to be kidding me.

So, does everything have a subliminal message? :S

Got something on Tom and Jerry as well... :P

Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

Got something on Tom and Jerry as well... :P

"Cats and dogs, living together...mass hysteria!!"

:D[/reply

]LMAO!!:D:D:D
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

I have studied this phenomenon for several years and have come up with this conclusion....

PUT THE PIE DOWN FATTIE!!!!

Sorry if that upset any larger people.... Probably time for some comfort food;)

.....And you thought Kiwis couldn't fly!!!!

If anything, the overweight consumers (i.e. the remaining human population) were depicted as victims of a runaway corporation that had crapped on the planet. They certainly weren't made out to be villains.

On the other hand, though, I'd hardly call the movie "leftest" as it was clearly showing the downside of simply taking what's given to you by the government / big companies, and that if you want anything worthwhile you have to work for it.

Long story short is that it's a cute story with some good lessons that's entertaining for kids and has plenty of subtle humor that adults will enjoy too. It's right in line with other Pixar offerings, but if people want to read more into it simply because it mentions the environment or fat people then they're welcome to, but doing so is pretty silly.

Long story short is that it's a cute story with some good lessons that's entertaining for kids and has plenty of subtle humor that adults will enjoy too. It's right in line with other Pixar offerings, but if people want to read more into it simply because it mentions the environment or fat people then they're welcome to, but doing so is pretty silly.

Agreed. :)

I went to see Indiana Jones this weekend with my son and my mom. Sounds like maybe we chose well. :)

linz

The Indiana Jones movies are actually doumentaries about the lives of your typical college professors.;)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Wow. Are we normally this offended by people being offended? OR is this just an opportunity to anonymously bash those who happen to be overweight?This thread leaves a bad taste in my mouth. :|

Welcome to the Speakers' Corner. Just remember, if you don't agree, you are either a fatass, stupid or have no sense of humor. Maybe all 3. :S:P

Wow. Are we normally this offended by people being offended? OR is this just an opportunity to anonymously bash those who happen to be overweight?This thread leaves a bad taste in my mouth. :|

Welcome to the Speakers' Corner. Just remember, if you don't agree, you are either a fatass, stupid or have no sense of humor. Maybe all 3. :S:P

Oh boo hoo. No one is making fun of fat people.

Oh boo hoo. No one is making fun of fat people.

Sounds to me like the people who origonally complained about this are just a little self-conscious themselves? Hmm, I wish those complaint letters included the weight of the writer. :ph34r:

Sorry, but on a more serious note - I think Wall-E was just every bit as good as anything else Pixar has ever put out. The Chef in Ratatouili Was a fatso, nobody complained about that, and all he did was cook and eat!!!:ph34r:
=========Shaun ==========

But...but... Cars promotes the continued use of fossil fuels and contributing to global warming and makes gas prices high!!!!

The person who complained about it should put down the twinkie, step away from the desk and go for a walk. The best way to avoid being offended by something like this is to make yourself *not fat*....

I've been wanting to see Wall-E for over a year now, but I can't escape to the movies for two hours because I have a two-month old and a 20-month old at home. I'll have to wait six months for the DVD. In any event, what's wrong with pointing out how fat humans have become? And what's wrong with speculating that it will probably get worse? If the mu'umu'u fits, wear it.

If you want to see another good movie, rent Mike Judge's Idiocracy. 500 years in the future, and everyone is so dumb they've forgotten even basic things like how to grow food. Fox didn't distribute it because it pokes fun at too many corporations, but I'm sure if it had wide distribution, stupid people everywhere would be offended.

People should use that angry energy and go for a walk, or go to buy vegetables at the health food store, but I suppose that's too hard.

Edit for HTML stylization.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

what's wrong with pointing out how fat humans have become? And what's wrong with speculating that it will probably get worse?

Absolutely nothing. People will find anything to be "offended" and bitch about. It's sad.

Get a babysitter and go to the movies!

what's wrong with pointing out how fat humans have become? And what's wrong with speculating that it will probably get worse?

Absolutely nothing. People will find anything to be "offended" and bitch about. It's sad.

I haven't been to the movies since December, 2003. I've got two kids and, frankly, I don't WANT to leave them behind.

Secondly, I worked for years at a movie theater where if I wanted to see a movie, I'd wait till the theater closed, go thread the film, and watch it. Sometimes, a bunch of us would do it. The thought of dropping that kind of scratch on a flick just doesn't appeal to me.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I haven't been to the movies since December, 2003. I've got two kids and, frankly, I don't WANT to leave them behind.

Secondly, I worked for years at a movie theater where if I wanted to see a movie, I'd wait till the theater closed, go thread the film, and watch it. Sometimes, a bunch of us would do it. The thought of dropping that kind of scratch on a flick just doesn't appeal to me.

You know I love my son more than anything. Anything. BUT! It's nice to get out with just my husband and go to the movies. The cost pisses me off, though, which is why we are very selective on which ones we really want to see in theatre and which ones we can wait for on Blu-Ray. We have a nice set up at home, though, so it's really not that bad. :)

I havent been to a movie since National Treasure2 came out. I detest paying 8 bucks to watch something once when in 6 mo I can rent the same movie for 2 dollars.:S Do I have a bitching home theater setup? Not really. But what I have is great for me plus I can sit at home and drink beer while watching my movie and pause it when I have to take a piss.:)

Muff #5048