ChasingBlueSky

"Goodbye from the world's biggest polluter"

I have nothing else to say other than "..... /facepalm"

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/presidentbush/2008/07/it-was-his-fina.html

It was his final summit with the Group of 8, the leaders of Britain, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan and Russia as well as the United States. President Bush, the most senior member of the group, was attending his eighth summit, and for years he withstood pressure to take a firmer stand against global warming.

It was the topic on the minds of summit partners and demonstrators.

His final words to the likes of British Prime Minister Gordon Brown and French President Nicolas Sarkozy: "Goodbye from the world's biggest polluter."

That was the report from the British press, citing "senior sources" who said Bush made the private joke as he was about to leave Japan on Wednesday.

It stunned his partners, according to the Telegraph, which said:

He then punched the air while grinning widely, as the rest of those present including Gordon Brown and Nicolas Sarkozy looked on in shock.

The Independent offered this analysis: "His remarks were taken as a two-fingered salute from the president from Texas who is wedded to the oil industry." (Two-fingered? Yes, that's the V-for-victory sign, but in Britain it means something else, too, when the palm is turned inward.)

A White House spokesman responded to our inquiry: "I don't have anything on this for you."

— James Gerstenzang

And hello from the world's most uncaring shyster pettifogger.

I ask, is GWB the world's biggest polluter? IT appears to have been confirmed as a joke, right? Self-deprecating in matching with what has been put forward as his image.

Much like Jesse Jackson - I don't think he REALLY wanted to make Obama a eunuch. (On the other hand, his whispered comments about his issues with Obama were certainly genuine).

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I ask, is GWB the world's biggest polluter? IT appears to have been confirmed as a joke, right? Self-deprecating in matching with what has been put forward as his image.

Was he the warm up act for Carrot Top? Maybe that's the trick...you have to user your two drinks to understand this administration

I keep wondering what his list of presidential pardons is going to look like...:D

[:/]

Don't look for much, he's not issued very many during his terms, and he's not likely to have a very long list.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I thought his comment was funny, esp. considering the context and audience. Self-deprecating humor kinda thing, with a bit of smart-ass added.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

I keep wondering what his list of presidential pardons is going to look like...:D

Don't look for much, he's not issued very many during his terms, and he's not likely to have a very long list.

What about those two Border guards in Texas who shot the drug mule? Maybe?

It wasn't ignorant or stupid to say it, after all it's true! I doubt he was saying it with pride. In fact, I'm sure during the conference that it was probably pointed out several times by several different sources.

One problem with the G8 is that they don't really care about the environment. They all talk about it, but no one does anything that even marginally threatens their economy. The G8 exists primarily to find new and better ways to make international corporations more profitable. It's not about bettering the first world, making peace with the second world, or helping the third world. It's profiteering, disguised as a "summit". It was started because they didn't want another global recession (money) after the '73 oil crisis, it continues to serve the interest of international corporations (money) that make up 65% of the world's GDP, and while they discuss other items (hunger, terrorism, et al), the only actions taken are usually designed to make the rich richer (money).
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Hmmm. Kennedy was appreciated for his humor - often self deprecating.

Reagan's wit and self-deprecation was legendary.

Clinton's early career was built on a Foxworthy-like embrace of his Arkansas background. This is the "I've got Rush Limbaugh calling me fat" guy.

Even Nixon "It's the job of the press to use examine the presidency with a microscope, but they go too far with a proctoscope."

No, Bush can't say it...

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Oh come on... with all the crooks his buddies have given away the US Treasury to over the last 8 years???

The Telecom Bill to make his cronies not responsible for illegal acts is just the first act[:/]

No, Bush can't say it...

I think it deals more with his pattern of irreverence.
Massages for the Chancellor.
"Amigo" for the Italian PM.
"Yo Harper"

I'm sure it was intended to be a joke. But when you're the obstructionist poster child for global warming and making your last visit to the G8, his remarks smack of arrogance and insult.
"Got mine, bitches! War out! Yo!"

Hey, at least this time he tried to be honest. I can't wait to have a President who fosters pride instead of embarassment.

Blues,
Dave

Oh, oh You mean like Clinton did?
:D
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Hey, at least this time he tried to be honest. I can't wait to have a President who fosters pride instead of embarassment.

Blues,
Dave

George H. W. Bush was so bad Clinton looked good by comparison. George W. Bush is so bad that Clinton looks great by comparison. The Bush family made a Clinton sandwich, and ended up looking like moldy bread with filet mignon.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Blues,
Dave

George H. W. Bush was so bad Clinton looked good by comparison. George W. Bush is so bad that Clinton looks great by comparison. The Bush family made a Clinton sandwich, and ended up looking like moldy bread with filet mignon.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:S
Abraham Lincoln

Clinton also conducted himself quite well during Hillary's campaint too, dont you think?

Abraham Lincoln

Most pardons are done during the last hours.

I expect his list to be a doozy.

Clinton pardoned 456.
W. Bush so far is up to 157.
Clinton pardoned 140 in his last hours as president.

So judging by that I am pretty sure and willing to place a wager on Clinton's list will be significantly larger. However, what I find funniest/most hypocritical is how Clinton supporters will still make this a topic of discussion. I guess the Clinton supporters are banking on the general population being to stupid to research the facts. Its a pitty that this kind of strategy works.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

>oh You mean like Clinton did?

CDS. It's an ugly disease.

You should know
Abraham Lincoln

Most pardons are done during the last hours.

I expect his list to be a doozy.

Clinton pardoned 456.
W. Bush so far is up to 157.
Clinton pardoned 140 in his last hours as president.

So judging by that I am pretty sure and willing to place a wager on Clinton's list will be significantly larger. However, what I find funniest/most hypocritical is how Clinton supporters will still make this a topic of discussion. I guess the Clinton supporters are banking on the general population being to stupid to research the facts. Its a pitty that this kind of strategy works.

Clinton did a bit more damage than that in his final hours as well. You may want to go back and look at the changes he made to medical coverage as well. It wasn't all that popular around these boards because it had a negative impact on most skydivers.

That said, I am expecting Bush to do just as much damage in his final days.

Presidents of either party traditionally save up a list of rather nauseating pardons for their final days in office. It's their way or retiring with their head - and middle finger - held high. I expect no different from this one.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !