galvar2439

What is going to happen to this Country>>>>?

awww, don't let people like that give people like me a bad name :)Don't even get me started on people who think they deserve things without even trying to earn it!
And why is it at work that IF I were to not return a phone call or email within 24 hours that I am held accountable? But when someone else doesn't return my phone call or email in 24 hours, they are NOT held accountable... grrr >:(

funny...when I met you I didn't think you were old enough to "remember" the 60's.

I haven't met him but would bet, from what I have read here that he was probably born in the 60's, maybe the late 50's, but it really doesn't matter.
What matters is that his statement is untrue, at least in the blanket sense.

There were a lot of irresponsible drug-using long haired, hippies in the 60's and a lot of them died before growing up. A lot of them never changed and ended up homeless, blaming the responible population for there own screw-ups. Some changed for the better. But the most forgotten fact is that everybody was not a screw-up.

There were the good young conservatives that focused on preparing for their future, so that THEY could provide for THEIR families to come. Not everbody was staging protests, doing drugs and destroying private property.
In reality the same can be said for today's youth. Although at times, it seems like they are all stupid, if you look hard enough you will see that is not the case.
Btw. as a disclaimer, I graduated high school in 91. I would like to think that I still take an objective perspective on things. But for some reason I get the feeling that kids who graduated in the mid to late 90's always needed a little more extra help and were on average physically smaller and weaker. I get the same impression from the graduates of the 2000's, only to a higher degree. You can make of that what you will.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

> funny...when I met you I didn't think you were old enough to "remember" the 60's.

Dimly. I barely remember the first moon landing and how excited everyone was. Both my parents were teachers, though, and I heard a lot about "kids these days" and their various shortcomings.

My father was a teacher in NY during the Watts riots, and he recalled the prevailing opinion that the country might not survive the racial tension that had been building for years. "What's going to happen to this country?" was a common refrain.

(andrew said)

>>Well, they did - and they're running the country now.

>And you're using this to refute the premise that we are in trouble?

No more in trouble than we were back then.

(steel said)

>There were a lot of irresponsible drug-using long haired, hippies in the
>60's and a lot of them died before growing up. A lot of them never
>changed and ended up homeless, blaming the responible population
>for there own screw-ups. Some changed for the better. But the most
>forgotten fact is that everybody was not a screw-up.

That is EXACTLY right, and is as true today as it was back then.

When all these young people are old enough to run it. I pride myself on giving my employees good benefits, empowering them to control thier own destiny by not limiting thier earnings.
Most of my original crew is still with me, but like me, the years have taken thier toll. Cant do all the physical things we use to. So we decided to infuse some young blood in the company and let them have the same opportunities as we ahve all enjoyed.
After explaining how it works and what is expected, the only thing i hear is " Yeah cool man, but when is break time". Cewll phones are more important than work to these kids.
Most of my guys work from home and take care of thier work on thier own scheduling. It has worked for a long time, but these kids (30 and under) just cant get it. All they want is to sleep all day and maybe get one job done. Then give 100 excuses as to why they couldnt get out of bed.
I am so dis heartened by the young people of this country who think they are owed everything for nothing. What is going to happen to this country? That is all

People don't enjoy renting themselves for a wage? Incredible :o

Depends on the wage and conditions.
I was a high school dropout due to illness, later ran with a carnival and did a variety of industrial/roadie type jobs. 13 years later I'm still a plain old hourly employee... but theres a big sign on the door leading to my cube that says "Engineering", they pay me to play with industrial robots lasers and neat little automated widgets and nobody cares how many or how long of a break I take cause thats how this place treats its tech people... if you're good enough at what you do, you do what you want. 2 years in and I still enjoy my job, even if I AM just a rent-a-brain. Rent-a-brains that have enough initiative to figure out how to hack the gear without much training are kinda hard to come by so theres recognition and respect thrown into the deal, too. Nice.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Gee I suppose you expect your nanny state to take care of you????

By the way.. where does YOUR nanny state get all of its money to be able to support the people who "don't enjoy renting themselves for a wage":S:S:S

By the way.. where does YOUR nanny state get all of its money to be able to support the people who "don't enjoy renting themselves for a wage"

Do you really expect an honest answer? Leave the troll alone!;)

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I can recall how everyone thought the beatniks and hippies of the 60s would be the end of civilization as we knew it. No responsibility! No common sense! No work ethic! Lazy long haired drug-usin' free love freaks! Get a haircut and get a real job.

Well, they did - and they're running the country now.

And you're using this to refute the premise that we are in trouble?

HUGE difference from todays kids and hippies. The total lack of respect for everything and everyone is much different these days.
So i just broke up with this woman who wasn't even my girlfriend!

Hellfish #782, POPS #10664

>The total lack of respect for everything and everyone is much different these days.

Which is exactly what adults were saying about the kids of the 60's and 70's. No respect for the uniform! No respect for the troops! No respect for the government that's protected them! No respect for their parents! Hell, kids are throwing rocks at National Guard troops! No wonder they got shot.

Get off my goddamn lawn!

What does this say about your hiring process and ability to select competent employees. Maybe you're just bad at it.

PSA: You should only drive your car in the 6-8am timeslot. That's your time to drive to the diner for the senior breakfast. Any other time, and you're just a threat to the people that should actually be driving. :D

.jim

"Don't touch my fucking Easter eggs, I'll be back monday." ~JTFC

Depends on the wage and conditions.
I was a high school dropout due to illness, later ran with a carnival and did a variety of industrial/roadie type jobs. 13 years later I'm still a plain old hourly employee... but theres a big sign on the door leading to my cube that says "Engineering", they pay me to play with industrial robots lasers and neat little automated widgets and nobody cares how many or how long of a break I take cause thats how this place treats its tech people... if you're good enough at what you do, you do what you want. 2 years in and I still enjoy my job, even if I AM just a rent-a-brain. Rent-a-brains that have enough initiative to figure out how to hack the gear without much training are kinda hard to come by so theres recognition and respect thrown into the deal, too. Nice.
-B

Yeah... so you rent yourself to a, kind, master. Lucky.

Gee I suppose you expect your nanny state to take care of you????

By the way.. where does YOUR nanny state get all of its money to be able to support the people who "don't enjoy renting themselves for a wage":S:S:S

A nanny state? I think you have unsurprisingly missed the point.

billvon said:

Nothing's changed, really.

+1 "The more things change, the more they remain the same."

Steel said:

I get the feeling that kids who graduated in the mid to late 90's always needed a little more extra help and were on average physically smaller and weaker. I get the same impression from the graduates of the 2000's, only to a higher degree. You can make of that what you will.

I graduated high school in '98. My SAT score was in the 95th percentile. I was 210 lbs and 6'4" (about the same now). I make nonsense of what you said. Either that, or the class of 2098 will be 3" tall apes.

shropshire said:

Which country?

Come on now. I don't care what country you're from, if you don't know what "this country" is, you are either not very intelligent or you're trolling.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein

Nothing's changed, really. Older people will always see younger people as lazy and undisciplined, and younger people will see older people as inflexible, fossilized authoritarians whose motto is "my way or the highway."

I agree with this statement. Actually, I would like to say more of this matter: I have absolute confidence in this new batch of kids. I have also read in some areas that they may just as well be the next "greatest generation of our time". Just in the Armed service alone, i have witnessed some positive things come out of this group. They tend to do more community service. They have a lot more wealth of general knowledge that comes from never knowing a time without the Internet. I swear they work a lot harder. And most importantly, they are the most tolerable group of people ever. They question the gay ban, they don't think twice that thier boss is female or black. These kids embarrass me, sometimes. I see this both in the Navy and embedded here in the Army. I have seen the same thing among civillian friends and at the Dropzone. I guess those late "Boomers" and early "Gen-X" ers weren't such bad parents after all.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

It's more than the youth that's at fault, especially if you consider Ancient Greek Philosophers were complaining about pretty much the same thing.

http://cgi.stanford.edu/group/wais/cgi-bin/index.php?p=10781

It's the society where the real blame lies. And that must therefore include you!:)

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which country?

Come on now. I don't care what country you're from, if you don't know what "this country" is, you are either not very intelligent or you're trolling. >>

:oWhat, Moi?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

On construction jobs, I made a few observations.

- People work because they have to. Anyone who wins $50 million in the lottery, and continues to work, needs professional help.

- Most kids don't know what work is. You need to teach them and give them clear expectations. They come out of school and are used to spending their day chatting and socializing with friends.

Give them clear expectations and grow hard workers.

This isn't play time.
Don't sit down.
Keep working until you are done.
Don't chat.
Everyone else is tired also. They don't want to pick up your slack.

- Some of the biggest "I'm the greatest" talkers are the biggest goof-offs. The union guys from up north are famous for "Everybody in NY works harder".
However, they are experts on doing nothing and will tell you how to goof off correctly.

Come on now. I don't care what country you're from, if you don't know what "this country" is, you are either not very intelligent or you're trolling. >>

:oWhat, Moi?

Yes, toi! Hey shropshire,

stop trolling finally. bjjman only made 83 posts but, he already is smart enought to discover a troll when stumbling across him ;);)

:D:D

dudeist skydiver # 3105