joedirt

If I had to be a POW

There are enough reported cases of torture (to varying extents) of POW's from all your examples so I'll opt for the US as you reckon they're only 'apparently' torturing people.

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

I guess if I HAD to be tortured by someone, then I'm imagining that being tortured by the US nowadays would be the least painful of your examples. But somehow the thought of it turns my stomach more.

There are things I expect from certain people, because people don't always do the right things, and some people do the wrong things far too often. But I try to keep the bar a bit higher for me and mine, though we screw up sometimes too.

That's kind of how I feel about our country as a whole, and when we behave badly...well, we need to do better next time.

:)
linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Just curious since apparently the US has been torturing people. Which one would you pick?

Kinda like the Nazi pigs :P in Colton, Ca. that arrested me for being drunk in public (in my house), when they got me to their jail they said," we have to send you to another jail. Which one would you prefer?" And I said " Preferably NONE OF THE ABOVE":P I beat em in court at a cost. Nice paying my money to fight the pigs that are being paid w/ MY MONEY.B|>:(
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

That's kind of like asking if I were a man instead of a woman, would I rather be like
Caligula
Vlad the Impaler
Adolf Hitler
Pol Pot
or George W. Bush

Kinda makes me glad to be a woman :)
Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Why did you pick those dates? Why '44 for Germany, for example? That war had been running since '39.

Its a case of we are bad but it's OK because some of the worst regimes in human history were worse.

Tell that to the innocent at GITMO
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

In hindsight, I'd go for Germany in 1944, because I know now that I'd be in the jug for no more than a year. I'd be hungry all the time, but would still get Red Cross packages. Then I'd learn how to dig tunnels and brush up on my forgery skills, writing fake Nazi I.D. cards, with eagle & swatstika stamps carved out of boot heels. This was probably the last war that POWs were allowed by the enemy to congregate. Beginning with Korea, POWs were all kept apart from each other. The Nazis didn't generally go out of their way to torture American or British POWs, though Russians were usually shipped off to the death camps. And only some of the Vietnam POWs were locked up longer than the prisoners at Gitmo.

I know it wasn't all "Hogans' Heroes" either, I used to have a boss at Boeing who turned 18 in a German Stalag after his B-17 was shot down deep inside Germany in 1943.

One of these days, we're all going to feel ashamed of Gitmo.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Remember when the US was an example of good?

Now, we are merely the lesser of a number of evils out there. And to me, that sucks.

Concur ... & not happily.

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

This thread reminds me of a poem I heard a ways back:

==============================
Let America be America again.
Let it be the dream it used to be.
Let it be the pioneer on the plain
Seeking a home where he himself is free.

Let America be the dream the dreamers dreamed--
Let it be that great strong land of love
Where never kings connive nor tyrants scheme
That any man be crushed by one above.

O, let my land be a land where Liberty
Is crowned with no false patriotic wreath,
But opportunity is real, and life is free,
Equality is in the air we breathe.

. . .

I am the poor white, fooled and pushed apart,
I am the Negro bearing slavery's scars.
I am the red man driven from the land,
I am the immigrant clutching the hope I seek--
And finding only the same old stupid plan
Of dog eat dog, of mighty crush the weak.

. . .

O, yes,
I say it plain,
America never was America to me,
And yet I swear this oath--
America will be!

Out of the rack and ruin of our gangster death,
The rape and rot of graft, and stealth, and lies,
We, the people, must redeem
The land, the mines, the plants, the rivers.
The mountains and the endless plain--
All, all the stretch of these great green states--
And make America again!

>the world needs a clear winner.

The world needs to move on. It's not us vs. the world, or us vs. islam. It's us AND the world, and us AND islam. And as soon as we see ourselves as just another part of the world, instead of everyone's sworn enemy, the better off we will be.

It's not us vs. the world,

Agreed. Especially once western democracies start paying their own way.

the world, or us vs. islam.

Uhm, we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

It's us AND the world, and us AND islam.

Especially once the bulk of Islamic nations have educated their people. How long do you think that's going to take? In the meantime, see above.
We are all engines of karma