goofyjumper

Are we becoming more Barbaric as Americans?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080214/pl_afp/usbushcongressintelligenceveto

I cannot believe (oh wait, yes I can) that Bush plans to veto a bill that prevent torture to others.

Are we forgeting about our constitution?
-----------------
I love and Miss you so much Honey!
Orfun #3 ~ Darla

No. We are not. We are trying to become LESS barbaric.

The fact that this makes news is a good thing. It indicates the national ethos and the number of people that abhor such things.

We don't kill them all and let God sort them out anymore.

We don't carpet bomb civilian populations.

We don't strafe trains unless we can confirm enemy issues.

And if we do, there is hell to pay.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I cannot believe (oh wait, yes I can) that Bush plans to veto a bill that prevent torture to others.

Other countries will cut your head off, and your worried about this? :S
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Other countries will cut your head off, and your worried about this? :S

So we can be bad, as long as some other guys are worse? I hope I don't need to explain why that's a rubbish method of determining acceptable behaviour.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

>Other countries will cut your head off, and your worried about this?

Other countries won't let you own a gun at all. So why worry about some measly handgun and assault weapon restrictions? If your only standards are "we have to be better than the worst guy out there" then hand over those handguns and count your blessings.

So we can be bad, as long as some other guys are worse? I hope I don't need to explain why that's a rubbish method of determining acceptable behaviour.

No, I dont need you to explain anything to me, but thanks for the offer. :)
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Not entirely. That's where Gitmo and extraordinary rendition come in.
Perino: "all the interrogations that have taken place in this country have been done in a legal way."

And to answer your question, I don't think so. The current criminal in chief is a lame duck, one that hopefully Congress will be able to at least keep in check for the next few months. After that, regardless of which of the front runners wins the next election, we won't be condoning or redefining torture anymore. I hate the idea that we are now being lectured to by China regarding human rights violations. And because it's Friday, and I haven't heard his name brought up recently, at least Clinton didn't leave his stain on the entire country:ph34r:

... well each person is different but as a group, Americans are being more desensitized to it , than ever before.

Instant news from around the world, video and audio feeds everywhere,,, bring to us, events, behaviors and calamities which used to escape our eyes... There is some real tragedy going on in parts of the world...and what we see in the news and in filmaking in general, as we go to the movies, keeps pushing ahead our "shock level"...

what once would revolt a person, is now common in PG 13 movies...and as children grow up in our world today, they see more and more
such images.....

So the more barbaric behavior we see the more we might be likely to accept.....

Look at the current group of Oscar nominations...
I know its film making... but we honor a rather brutish merciless cruel Character and the film which brings him to us...Fine acting I guess..... but a cold glass of water, in the face, to some...[:/]

I learned quite awhile ago that life can be cruel and idiocy guides many people as strongly as intelligence .
If we can believe the news there IS some barbaric stuff, happening in this world...

massacres, military juntas, religious leaders vying for power...struggles for food, water, and shelter, and struggles against disease and dirt poor poverty...especially in Africa and parts of Asia.....
Barbarism . murder, hell,,,,, raping and pilaging, burning..... all that crap,,, seems to be growing instead of diminishing.... and if you classify religious fanatics and suicide zealots, I'd think that classifies as barbarisn...

Americans are damn lucky to be where they/we are and in fact the government should be working to reduce and phase out a blight to our common world wide good...

Instead our leaders have further fueled the issues in parts of the world where there is resource riches, and turned a blind eye , where
people literally wither away, from illness fatique, starvation and despair.....

So YES... i guess the whole world is becoming More barbaric...

the key will be to insulate ourselves and those we love,, from any future negative impact of it...

jt

No, I dont need you to explain anything to me, but thanks for the offer. :)

Good. We'll hear less of that silliness then please:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Depends on the interpretation....

Mike are you trying in some oblique way of coming out??:D:D

:D:D:D

Why, whatEVER do you mean??

Hard to "come out" of the closet if you were never in it, isn't it?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706