RkyMtnHigh

Does this clip make you want to become a vegetarian?

I knew a vegan once - she was a friend of the Mrs. When she visited I'd grill some NZ lamb or make a fry up - she squirmed like a worm on a hook!:ph34r:

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

That you-tube film clip was from a movie I saw on HBO, recently. It didn't change my thinking about eating meat. I read 'The Jungle' and that didn't change my thinking. I've seen the cattle industry from the birth of a calf to the death of a steer in the slaughter houses. Beef is good for people. Like anything else, too much will probably kill you. Where folks go wrong is 'over-loading' on one thing. That's what will get you. The key word? Moderation!;) Now... Where's the BEEF?:D

Chuck

It is all perspecive... While the images you posted are horid and make me feel like I want to save the poor little guys. The same be true for this clip? Society dictates your thoughts....

I thought those videos were lame. They were all warm and fuzzy, and basically just showed people doing their jobs.
I've butchered or helped butcher many animals, and yes, at some point you have to take its life, whether you cut its throat or shoot it in the head.

A tasty bowl of Pebbles 'n Twigs is a perfect way to start the day -- just ask Euell Giibbons.

I think eating all of that good, natural food eventually killed Euell Gibbons, didn't it?;)

Yep, the old adage is true -- eat right, excercise, don't smoke, die anyway.

. . =(_8^(1)

In fact I've discovered it to be one of the most obvious, yet more difficult, things to implement change due to the chosen ignorance.

because people don't feel the same way as you the choose to be ignorant? that's not a fair assessment. it would be much more accurate to say that people just don't care. as you can see from reading this thread that a good many people have killed and processed their own critters. they are certainly not ignorant.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

On a related but separate note: At the risk of sounding defeatist, I don't foresee a vegetarian society on the horizon. In fact I've discovered it to be one of the most obvious, yet more difficult, things to implement change due to the chosen ignorance. I've learned many (most?) people just do NOT want to hear about how their food gets to them.

How far down that elitist road do you want to travel.

I've grown a garden for years. Last year I had the best crop of garden peas ever, but I can tell you, if I were to put a dollar value to the time involved, those peas probably cost about $10 a lb. by the time they were in the freezer.
I dare say that most of those high minded vegetarians don't actually know about what effort went into getting that food on their table.

>At the risk of sounding defeatist, I don't foresee a vegetarian society on the horizon.

I don't either. However, we will get significantly more vegetarian as

1) people start realizing how much longer they will live if they cut down on the burgers, bacon and barbeque

i do not want to live in world without burgers, bacon and bbq. you can live for quite a long time with those items as a part of your life, you just can't eat them every day.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

>At the risk of sounding defeatist, I don't foresee a vegetarian society on the horizon.

I don't either. However, we will get significantly more vegetarian as

1) people start realizing how much longer they will live if they cut down on the burgers, bacon and barbeque

2) we start running short of energy/space/water to grow all that meat.

Right now you can eat meat and not have ten other people starve to death. That will not always be true.

I saw something on the news last night which was interesting. It seems that a lot of wheat farmers have switched to corn in the quest to produce more ethanol geared towards alternate fuels. So with society's quest to become a tad more green, we are not producing enough wheat to feed people (not to mention driving up the price of wheat meaning it's going to be more expensive to eat basics such as bread). So with the population of the 3rd world exploding, pretty soon if it hasn't happened already we won't have enough wheat to feed everyone.

Now I'm not slamming ethanol as an alternate fuel, but this is one example of society not really thinking the issues out before they run off to try and solve the latest "popular" problems of the day.

PS: I am a member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals). But watching videos of animals being slaughtered is not a pleasant sight.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

as you can see from reading this thread that a good many people have killed and processed their own critters. they are certainly not ignorant.

And I had no issue with them. I especially wouldn't call that (in itself) ignorant.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

This might sound a bit whacky but, I blame Walt Disney for all this PETA crap! He 'humanized' animals. Made them all cute and cuddly with cute squeaky little voices. Most of this country grew-up with Disney characters and critters. We need to know the difference between animals and humans. Cattle are raised to be eaten! So were pigs! Slaughter houses process the meat for sale at the grocery store... it ain't 'Porky' and it ain't 'Ferdinand'!

Chuck

We did not as a species climb to the top of the food chain to suddenly opt out of eating meat...

Please explain why not.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to plan my diet to assemble incomplete plant proteins to satisfy nutritional needs when I can simply eat a nice herbivore who has done the work for me.

Besides, I enjoy steak. It provides protein, iron, calories, and other nutritional value, while being satisfying and good tasting.
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

it would be much more accurate to say that people just don't care.

So if a person throws litter around everywhere because he just doesn't care, that's not an indication he's also ignorant?

no.

Well damn if you didn't head THAT argument off at the pass. :S:)

. . =(_8^(1)

Pigs and cattle are raised to be eaten.

No argument there. My problem is the cruel and environmentally unsound way they are raised today, to feed an unhealthy, uncaring, over-indulgent, fat-assed society.

When pigs are turned loose, they turn feral and become good 'targets'.

Relevance? Dogs and cats do also.

. . =(_8^(1)

I'm aware of the effort, silly.

Like the people who actually think that chicken and milk come from the grocery store, I'm sure most vegan types who saunter down to the corner vegetable market in their hemp clothes and Burkenstocks haven't got a clue. They just consider themselves a step above the rest of the meat eating world.

Believe me, I've seen that whole cultist attitude displayed.