RkyMtnHigh

Does this clip make you want to become a vegetarian?

We buy beef from my friends mother, who raises the cattle on her farm, free roaming and grass/clover fed, spring water to drink.

We know the meat locker they are sent to, they are like minded people who are really ticked off about the large corporate kill houses and their unethical practices.

A CNS kill is the only way that death is intantaneous.

I hunt, and almost 100% of the time it is one shot, one kill.

I try my best, and use an adequate weapon for the job,

We rarely ever eat at restaurants, it is expensive, and not very good.

At the risk of sending this feel-good thread to Bonfire, I have to agree.

I LOVE dining out and used to all the time. As we became pickier and pickier about where our food came from and better and better at preparing it with fresh, natural ingredients it became completely clear why someone would make a statement such as yours. I never understood before how anyone would think Carrabbas anything but delicioso!

:D
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We did not as a species climb to the top of the food chain to suddenly opt out of eating meat...

Please explain why not.

I'm curious to hear this, too. :)

Please explain why not.

I'm curious to hear this, too. :)

Don't hold your breath for a reasonable response. ;)

IMO, a society that elected to opt out of meat eating for the sake of better health, cleaner environment, and less animal suffering would be taking a big step UP the "food chain". :)

. . =(_8^(1)

I have at times in my life cooked in a few up scale resterants and know the quality of the food that CAN come out of the kitchen. My policy was that I would never send out a meal that I wasn't prepared to eat myself. That being said I have to agree with you. It seems that everytime my wife and I go out for dinner I end up sorely dissapointed in either the food or the service which pisses me off to no end. I figure that if I'm going to pay somebody my hard earned cash to cook for me it better come out the way I want it. I also have no problem at all sending it back. If the service sucks, so does their tip. If the service and the food are resonably acceptable, then the cook and the server will get a tip and the cook will also get kudos. We recently went out and as the waitress passed our table she just kind of tossed our silverware onto the table and it slid right off the other side. We kinda slid right out the door.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

IMO, a society that elected to opt out of meat eating for the sake of better health, cleaner environment, and less animal suffering would be taking a big step UP the "food chain".

I elect to "opt out of meat" most of the time because of the status quo (from every angle).

For me, however, I would think it "a step UP the 'food chain'" to simply implement a better (and more humane) system.

On a related but separate note: At the risk of sounding defeatist, I don't foresee a vegetarian society on the horizon. In fact I've discovered it to be one of the most obvious, yet more difficult, things to implement change due to the chosen ignorance. I've learned many (most?) people just do NOT want to hear about how their food gets to them. Right or wrong, they want their fast-food burgers. And even those that admit it's atrocious on how that burger might get to them (and for so cheap), they're not willing to give it up, and instead convince themselves it's an isolated incident and can't possibly be "the norm".

It's a difficult battle, admittedly.

I myself use the "every little bit counts" approach. And I believe it does.

Hell, I'd be happy if someone who eats meat breakfast, lunch, and dinner decides to trade just one of their current meat products for one that is "certified humane" (not the holy grail, but a step in the right direction), "no antibiotics" and "free-range".

We buy beef from my friends mother, who raises the cattle on her farm, free roaming and grass/clover fed, spring water to drink.

We know the meat locker they are sent to, they are like minded people who are really ticked off about the large corporate kill houses and their unethical practices.

A CNS kill is the only way that death is intantaneous.

I hunt, and almost 100% of the time it is one shot, one kill.

I try my best, and use an adequate weapon for the job,

I'm with the Vandal on this one - besides, imagine: no more Vension. No more KFC. Whoppers! Roast Lamb. Square sausages. Simple and well cooked rabbit. The list of delicious food is endless!

At the risk of sounding dramatic, I'd rather be dead than be a veggie.:)

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

>At the risk of sounding defeatist, I don't foresee a vegetarian society on the horizon.

I don't either. However, we will get significantly more vegetarian as

1) people start realizing how much longer they will live if they cut down on the burgers, bacon and barbeque

2) we start running short of energy/space/water to grow all that meat.

Right now you can eat meat and not have ten other people starve to death. That will not always be true.

However, we will get significantly more vegetarian...

I agree. :)
But even for me #1 is not even on my list for why I "cut down" on meat & animal products. I want a great quality of life while I'm here. I have no desire, however, to be here for more than a century. But, that's neither here nor there. :P