FreeflyChile

Foreign perspective regarding US Presidential elections

Who are you to say what PRIVATE expenditures are a waste? Did I miss when you became a US Citizen?

We (the foreigners) were specifically asked to comment by the original poster. Your post simply strengthens one of the opinions many foreigners hold about Americans.

How would restricting the amount allowed to spend violate the first amandment? And by the way there are quite a few law which restrict the first amandment. Just because it would restrict it does not make it impossible or illegal.

Why would the spending limit not fly?
As far as I know corporations are not legal to donate anyways but they are legal to tell their employees to who to donate (I might be off here).

Thanks for starting this thread. Interesting topic & very interesting questions, IMO. Moreso given the globalized nature of 21st Century world.

While I'm not sure if I represent a typical or an a-typical American, I am always always interested in and willing to hear comments, criticisms (yes, even criticisms), perceptions (which are sometimes mis-perceptions that than hopefully present an opportunity for clarifications), and outside observations on the American experiment.

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

I am always always interested in and willing to hear comments, criticisms (yes, even criticisms), perceptions (...) and outside observations on the American experiment.

VR/Marg

From Wendy's extract of the letter :-

grotesque display of money and power of the American presidential campaign

I too am astounded by the vast amount of money that is spent during the American election process. Although one doesn't see as much overt corruption over there as we do down here, one does wonder:- What is in it for those generous campaign contributors?

As an aside, I am also amused and amazed by the amount of intolerance and antagonism displayed by some of the posters (Dems vs Reps) on here. The vitriol, insults, generalisations and profanities traded here do not appear to be a reflection of the real world, yet the fervour with which some posters attack each other, one would expect otherwise.

Finally Marg, I find it interesting that after 300 years of independence, you still refer to this as the American experiment. Any reason?

The coverage seems to have calmed down a bit over here now but it was way OTT at one point. I find the whole election process in the states very confusing. What do I know about the candidates?

1) Obama... He's for CHANGE (But never seems to say what the change is or how he will affect it)

2) John McCain.... He's going to bring OBL in dead or alive (Which is pretty impressive for an old guy)

3) Hillary Clinton... She is very feminine, when things weren't going her way she cried and everyone voted for her. She wants to bring in free healthcare for all (apparently) even though when her husband was in power for eight years this never happened but people actually still belive her......Oh, and her husband got a blowjob.

I want Obama to win as
1) It will be funny having a President Hussein of the USA
2) He's honest enough not to pretend to have any policies but just use soundbites like 'CHANGE' also he seems quite dignified.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjXyqcx-mYY

As for what and how...Don't ask.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Another general criticism after last night: I think pre elections should be on one day, and instead of the whole electoral college, just who ever gets most votes in each party should get the nomination. The whole thing with the delegates, super delegates and what ever just seems to mess up the whole one citizen one vote democracy thing...

While I'm not sure if I represent a typical or an a-typical American, I am always always interested in and willing to hear comments, criticisms (yes, even criticisms), perceptions (which are sometimes mis-perceptions that than hopefully present an opportunity for clarifications), and outside observations on the American experiment.

I think everything you wrote after the first comma answers the question implied before that comma. While I don't have the slightest clue who you might represent, you are clearly atypical. ;)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I don't think what happens in the American elections will affect South Africa one way or the other. We are too small, too far away, and anyway, we have no oil.:)
:P

Just wait until we find something useful in Africa.... :P

Yeah. If Africa had any gold, diamonds, cobalt, copper, chromium, vanadium, manganese or platinum we'd be there like a shot.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Yeah. If Africa had any gold, diamonds, cobalt, copper, chromium, vanadium, manganese or platinum we'd be there like a shot.

As soon as we can use any of those items to propel our Hummers around town grocery shopping and picking up kids, we'll be there like a shot.

. . =(_8^(1)

As soon as we can use any of those items to propel our Hummers around town grocery shopping and picking up kids, we'll be there like a shot.

:D

Well, assuming you have the materials to make the Hummers in the first place.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Who are you to say what PRIVATE expenditures are a waste? Did I miss when you became a US Citizen?

In the law we call things like that "Standing." You lack it.

Who are you to say what gets posted on a web site hosted on Canadian servers and owned by a South African? Did I miss when you became a real citizen of the world?

Don't think you have the "Standing" to make statements like that..

Another general criticism after last night:,... and instead of the whole electoral college, just who ever gets most votes in each party should get the nomination. The whole thing with the delegates, super delegates and what ever just seems to mess up the whole one citizen one vote democracy thing...

That would be like the EU agreeing to straight "REP BY POP" for their decision making. No chance in hell; Berlin and Vichy Paris would make all the decisions (Yes I know Switzerland is not in the EU).

I don't think what happens in the American elections will affect South Africa one way or the other. We are too small, too far away, and anyway, we have no oil.:)
:P

Just wait until we find something useful in Africa.... :P

You forgot coltan
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Another general criticism after last night: I think pre elections should be on one day, and instead of the whole electoral college, just who ever gets most votes in each party should get the nomination. The whole thing with the delegates, super delegates and what ever just seems to mess up the whole one citizen one vote democracy thing...

Like I said earlier, the nomination process is not merely about selecting the most popular candidate within the party. It's about selecting a leader that will work well within the party structure. The one citizen one vote stuff applies to the main election, and of course only on a state by state basis.

As for your question about money = speech, this was the finding of the Supreme Court in Buckley vs Valeo. Restricting contributions is restricting speech. However, the court made a lousy decision more recently in upholding McCain-Feingold (yeah, that asshole running for president).

I am fairly sure it would be possible to find somebody who fits the party without such a complicated process. The Germans do it (altough in an indirect way) so it's gotta be possible.

(Resisting urge to say something that would invoke Godwin's Law...)
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

I am fairly sure it would be possible to find somebody who fits the party without such a complicated process. The Germans do it (altough in an indirect way) so it's gotta be possible.

The Germans have a parliamentary system. The people don't elect the Federal Chancelor at all. We don't want that.

It appears the Germans also have a ceremonial President, but intentionally do not allow direct election by the people due to what happened in the 30s. Again, we don't want this here.