AggieDave

*sigh* wear a helmet

I know I'm not real good about taking my own advice, but lets all try harder to wear our helmets more often when riding on 2-wheels. Sometimes just having fun ends gruesomely with a lot of people that loved you really hurting while they plan your funeral.

I didn't know the person, but my heart definitely goes out to his family and the friends that it effected.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

what's the catch phrase in a lot of states there "let those who ride decide"

I'll wager the vast majority have not seem the results of even a low speed impact, let alone the carnage left behind from a high speed one.

I don't start my bike with out my helmet on
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I know I'm not real good about taking my own advice, but lets all try harder to wear our helmets more often when riding on 2-wheels. Sometimes just having fun ends gruesomely with a lot of people that loved you really hurting while they plan your funeral.

I didn't know the person, but my heart definitely goes out to his family and the friends that it effected.

I'm sorry to hear it, Dave. That must be so difficult to deal with even when you didn't know the person.

-Does Texas not have a helmet law? Here in WA you can't ride a motorcycle, bicycle, or scooter without a helmet. I'd have to double check, but I'm thinking it applies to roller blades as well.

Again I'm sorry that you had to bear that shot to the gut. Thanks again for all you do, big guy.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I'm afraid the vast majority of the riders out there, oughta' be usin' trainin' wheels anyway! Many of the "superbikes" out there are fast but tend to handle like a dishrag, at higher speeds. When a kid has a 750cc or bigger for a first bike, things usually don't end well. :( Ya' used to see a lot of that, in the military.

"T'was ever thus."

Texas does have a helmet law, but you can become exempt to the law through two different ways (aka its a "defense to prosecution"). You can go through a MSF course and apply with the state to be exempt or carry $10k or more personal injury protection on your motorcycle insurance.

I have persistent neck problems that tends to get me taking my helmet off on longer rides, which I can legally do. I think I'm going to find a better helmet that doesn't pull so hard at highway speeds and still offers some protection.

I guess I'm getting frustrated because its the third really bad fatality accident I've personally worked in the last 5 months or so, plus one that should have been fatal (Hybusa hitting the side of a mini-truck so hard it bent the truck's frame). I did take a drug dealer off the streets, who was sent to prison for a minimum of 12 years last week, though. That's the upside.

Work to change the laws in your state.

the law should never protect people from themselves or the consequences of their actions

promote practices that encourage safer behavior instead of adding the existing 'nanny state'

the law should never protect people from themselves or the consequences of their actions

promote practices that encourage safer behavior instead of adding the existing 'nanny state'

I'd argue that point intelligently with you if i thought it would do any good and would not put this in speakers Corner
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Squeak, I applaud you wearing your helmet, but disagree with the "catch phrase".

All too often, the young punk on the donor cycle, too cool for school, without medical insurance, just cost the rest of the tax paying community a lot of money because he didn't want to wear a helmet, and then crashed his bike.

Dave, I think Texas has a unique approach to let the cyclist decide to take personal resposiblity for the opportunity on not wearing a helmet. But how does the law enforcement officer know that the guy going helmetless has the required coverage?
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Squeak, I applaud you wearing your helmet, but disagree with the "catch phrase".

you completely missed the intent and sentiment of my post, I in no way support that phrase
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

So, no pics?

In your honest opinion would a bucket have saved this person?

I wear mine "when appropriate." On all highway trips, but not to Kroger or my office 3.9 miles down Memorial. Field of view is important.
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

So, no pics?

In your honest opinion would a bucket have saved this person?

I wear mine "when appropriate." On all highway trips, but not to Kroger or my office 3.9 miles down Memorial. Field of view is important.

MUTE point unless you wear a lid as old as you:ph34r: or all your "C" vert are fused
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I got your meaning. I just quoted your post.

In California, you have no choice about helmet use. It is mandatory. Including bicyclists under 18 as well.

I don't ride my bicycle much anymore, but when I do, I always wear a helmet and an orange reflectorized vest. I want to make myself as visible as possible. My brother was cut off and had to dump his bicycle. He hit his head against the curb. His helmet saved him from any head trauma. The foam liner was broken into many pieces. So when people piss and moan about having to wear a helmet, they are talking to deaf ears around me,....and BV.:S:ph34r:

Jump an Infinity

OK. Using that logic, did you hear about the guy that heard most vehicle accidents happen within 5 miles of home?

So he moved.:|

How often does a car cross your lane at an intersection/traffic light and cut you off,... on a freeway? Rate of closure on a freeway with all traffic going the same direction is much less then on surface street two way traffic. Reaction times are much less. Sorry, just don't follow the logic. And a full face is not required, just like in skydiving.

Jump an Infinity

but not to Kroger or my office 3.9 miles down Memorial

Statistically speaking, this is where people are more than likely to have their accident.

TO ALL: Keep the politics out of this and it won't end up in SC.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Dave, I think Texas has a unique approach to let the cyclist decide to take personal resposiblity for the opportunity on not wearing a helmet. But how does the law enforcement officer know that the guy going helmetless has the required coverage?

There's nothing unique about Texas, a lot of states' riders sold out and accepted these requirements to get the lid laws repealed. Unfortunately it promotes the false social burden theory that most non riders (and skydivers) believe, leading to laws passed to protect us.

(personally, if we're going to require helmets, we should require full face helmets - not those skull caps that many of the cruiser riders take. Those offer no real protection. My chin bar saved me some minor facial trauma the same week that the Pittsburg (Ben R) QB went down without one. )

I got your meaning. I just quoted your post.

In California, you have no choice about helmet use. It is mandatory. Including bicyclists under 18 as well.

I don't ride my bicycle much anymore, but when I do, I always wear a helmet and an orange reflectorized vest. I want to make myself as visible as possible. My brother was cut off and had to dump his bicycle. He hit his head against the curb. His helmet saved him from any head trauma. The foam liner was broken into many pieces. So when people piss and moan about having to wear a helmet, they are talking to deaf ears around me,....and BV.:S:ph34r:

ignorance is bliss:(

I'd argue that point intelligently with you if i thought it would do any good and would not put this in speakers Corner

no reason it should end up in SC..

'do any good'? no idea what you mean. If you are implying you will be unable to convince me that the government's role is to protect people from themselves then you are correct.

the end is it is your life, to live, risk and eventually lose.. not wearing a helmet (or a seatbelt even) isn't smart, but it is NOT (nor should it ever be) the government's responsibility to enforce 'smart behavior'

Down that road lies mandatory PT, dietary restrictions, curfews and a host of other choices that are entirely personal. No government should involve themselves in any individual decision that does not directly affect the health and liberty of another.

Dave is on the 'right path' here... wear a helmet because the people who care about you want you to... not because the law says you must.

Amen to the helmet use and thanks for what you do Dave.

I have a very good idea of what a helmet can protect someone from. Believe me, you don't want to go through what I have been through and I was enormously lucky.

I did take a drug dealer off the streets, who was sent to prison for a minimum of 12 years last week, though. That's the upside.

Dave, my heart goes out to you for being one of the people who has to clean up the mess at fatalities.

On the other topic, though, why was taking the drug dealer off the streets considered a good thing. Was it *that* drug dealer specifically or would taking *any* drug dealer off the street being a good thing?

I'm not trying to set up an argument or anything. I just have no concept of what impact, if any, drug dealers have on our society.

Walt

Riding on the street,trail or track without a helmet is a tad insane.
;)

So is jumping from an aircraft. "Choice" used to be a benefit of being an adult. I live where I do in part, because I'm still allowed to choose.
Please don't encourage changing laws that remove my options to choose, particularly in the context of recreational experiences.

Well this drug dealer was cooking down crack and selling it in moderate quantities. It involved a vehicle pursuit, a foot chase and a bit of a fight as well. I'm not going to argue what narcotics you think are good or bad or what you think should be done. I'll tell you from my personal experience that the illicit drug trade is tearing people's lives apart.

As for the helmets, you don't know they have a defense to prosecution until investigating it as such.

Oh, efs4ever, this kid was literally a block from his house when he wrecked out and it killed him. And hell no I'm not going to post pics, not only would that incur a liability I would rather not undertake, it would simply be uncaring for the family. (People find these posts with relative ease).

All too often, the young punk on the donor cycle, too cool for school, without medical insurance, just cost the rest of the tax paying community a lot of money because he didn't want to wear a helmet, and then crashed his bike.

Not to move this into SC material, but you seem to have a problem with the system, not with the person. The problem isn't a rider without a helmet. The problem is subsidizing irresponsibility.

Much like the young skydiver, too cool for school, without medical insurance. Would you suggest a law against skydiving without medical insurance?

My wife is hotter than your wife.