kallend

AG Mukasey STILL doesn't know if waterboarding is torture

I don't think he's trying to defend anyone specifically. I think he's just doing the usual politician thing of "I don't think anything that anyone can use against me, ever." Which is the equivalent of making a stand in modern politics.

"I firmly and unequivocally support the principles of liberty, freedom, apple pie and happy grandchildren. I will not be taking any questions. Thank you."

His Administration, of course. That is the job of the Cabinet, and especially for this one, whose boss tolerates disagreement poorly, even by the standards of the Office.

He still can't live up to the standard of Gonzales, who couldn't see habeus corpus anywhere that counted.

DUDE.. I realize the whole scenario.. I taught that shit...:S

I would STILL want to waterboard the clowns in our own administration that thinks that crap is a good idea..
It sets a precedent that WILL come back to haunt us....

Once upon a time.. our enemies WILLINGLY surrendered to our troops.. rather than being captured by others... NOW we have given them reasons to fight longer and harder.

Didn't look like he wanted to be seen as defending or attacking. He was playing dodge the question with evasive manouvers. Politician.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Morale issues aside, that is my big concern. It may legitimize other enemies (even in conventional conflicts) doing that to our troops

Once upon a time.. our enemies WILLINGLY surrendered to our troops.. rather than being captured by others... NOW we have given them reasons to fight longer and harder.

True. It was nice to see CNN crews rounding up compliant prisoners on the news.

I suspect that my view on this may be somewhat "adjustable" if we were dealing with a key high ranking figure ( like OBL's number 2 guy if he had critical info) but I cannot deny that there is an ethical conlflict, and I certainly have concerns with this being used as a standard practice.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

DUDE.. I realize the whole scenario.. I taught that shit...:S

I would STILL want to waterboard the clowns in our own administration that thinks that crap is a good idea..

Jeanne why the crazy icon?

I addressed that post to you because you would understand the finer details of what we are facing, what needs to be accomplished, and ultimately what can be done.

Damned if we do, and damned if we don't.

There are plenty of studies that have shown that any information gleaned from using torture is specious and highly unreliable.

There are FAR more advantageous methods of getting GOOD information.. not a bunch of bullshit that the person on the recieving is willing to tell you to make it stop.

Torture would only be useful if the need was immediate.

As in grab an insurgent/terrorist/enemy agent who has been making bombs, and find a few detailed notes, you may want to cause him some duress to find out the information you need RFN, other than that, you can always go the normal routes of sleep deprivation, and mind games.

Sometimes just knowing that giving the info is a smart thing to do, when being faced with transfer to the Israeli's

There are always ways to get the information, it just depends on what speed neccessary in order for it to be useful.

Face it Jeanne, you would take water boarding over what the other side uses.

I am not saying it is not highly stressful, and can actually result in death.

I am just saying step back and look at the entire scenario.

Two things come to mind. First, this sounds like the "we're not as bad as Saddam" defense. And secondly, a question, would it be torture if it were done to our soldiers?
IMHO, Mukasey won't admit what he thinks, that it is indeed torture. But his boss has been responsible for it being done already and he feels that he has to try to protect him.

In 1947, a Japanese soldier who used water boarding against a U.S. citizen during World War II was sentenced to 15 years in U.S. prison for committing a war crime.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I can attest that wakeboarding IS a form of torture. Last time "friends" made me try it, I almost ingested an entire lake. It should be ille......... oh, you were talking about something else.:|

Carry on then.B|

----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

In 1947, a Japanese soldier who used water boarding against a U.S. citizen during World War II was sentenced to 15 years in U.S. prison for committing a war crime.

Do you have any more information on this? I'd like to know more about the specific case. Thanks.

VR/Marg

Just see [idrankwhat] & [lawrocket]'s new sig lines :)

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Do you have any more information on this? I'd like to know more about the specific case. Thanks.

VR/Marg

Just see [idrankwhat] & [lawrocket]'s new sig lines :)

here's an NPR transcript:

www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=15886834

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Thanks, beat me to it. From the same source:

A Punishable Offense

In the war crimes tribunals that followed Japan's defeat in World War II, the issue of waterboarding was sometimes raised. In 1947, the U.S. charged a Japanese officer, Yukio Asano, with war crimes for waterboarding a U.S. civilian. Asano was sentenced to 15 years of hard labor.

"All of these trials elicited compelling descriptions of water torture from its victims, and resulted in severe punishment for its perpetrators," writes Evan Wallach in the Columbia Journal of Transnational Law

When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Of course he doesn't...never does.

Jeanne, didn't you go to SERE? I got waterboarded there. Sucked, but I wouldn't say it's something worth all this whining.

Now electrodes to the nipples and shit...unless you're a Republican at a convention in Vegas...that would be worth whining about. (Threw that in for my bleeding heart friends)
- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

BLiNC Magazine Team Member

Whomever leaked the information about any form of interrogation, should be tried for treason. Unfortunately, they will probably go work for CNN.:P

Ahhh. Any and all atrocities and human rights abuses are ok, as long as no-one finds out. Got it.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?