livendive

Message from Ron

for those of you who might be interested in his campaign but who are not receiving all the emails from registering on his site:

January 21, 2008

What a shot in the arm the Nevada caucuses were, where we took the silver as #2, beating McCain, Huckabee, Thompson, and -- of course -- Giuliani. We also got four more delegates. In South Carolina, we beat Rudy again. A big thank you to all our wonderful donors, volunteers, and voters. So many people worked so hard to spread our message of liberty, honest money, peace, and free-market prosperity. I owe you all my deepest gratitude. So do our fellow citizens. So do all future Americans. Most of the mainstream media continue to pretend that we do not exist. Yet soon the race will be down to four candidates-Romney, McCain, Huckabee, and me, and there is no stopping us, as Tim Russert grudgingly pointed out the other night. Thanks to you, we are in this all the way through a brokered convention.

Nevada, by the way, is known as the Silver State for a reason-its great mining industry produced the precious metal for the beautiful silver dollars minted at the fabled Carson City mint. These constitutional coins, include .775 ounces of silver, in accord with the Coinage Act of 1792. Today these coins, worth $1 in my father's day, have about $14 in silver. That is, the dollar is worth 1/14th of what it was, thanks to the counterfeiting Federal Reserve.

The Fed has again taken our country into a terrible crisis. Who else is talking about honest money that cannot be printed up at will by DC bureaucrats? My opponents in both parties are all some variety of print-and-spend Keynesians. Only we are telling the truth, about who is to blame for this recession, and how we can build real prosperity with sound money, no IRS, no deficit, and strict obedience to the Constitution. And, of course, no hyper-expensive, hyper-dangerous empire all around the globe.

When I met with some great ladies in Charleston, all of whom wore beautiful hats, I talked about the young people flocking to our banner. "Don't forget the young at heart," said one. Darn right! A youthful outlook, work ethic, and optimism characterizes all of us.
Frederic Bastiat predicted many years ago that liberty would be saved by the young. He might have added the young at heart as well, and how right he was!

I continue to be astounded not only by all our revolutionaries, but by our fellow travelers. Democrats and even the workers for my Republican opponents come up to me to talk about our ideas. They are fascinated, and want to learn more. Reaching so many people doesn't necessarily mean a victory in the next primary, but it counts for the real changes we want in our country, now and for our children and grandchildren.

Of course, I am mainly paying attention to the next primary! We are working hard in Florida, in Louisiana for the caucuses, and then for Super Tuesday in more than 20 states. Meanwhile, the whole world is watching how we do tomorrow in fundraising, on a day dedicated to the memory of Martin Luther King, the great champion of non-violence at home, peace abroad, and civil disobedience against tyrannical government.

Please make your most generous donation
https://www.ronpaul2008.com/donate/ . We can't let this movement be stopped, nor slowed. I promise you that I will continue to pour all my heart and mind and strength into the battle. I know you will too.
Let's work together for all we love, and all we hope for: freedom!
Surely, it is worth all our efforts.

Sincerely,

Ron

I've never donated money to a political campaign before, so I just might owe beer later today.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I've never donated money to a political campaign before, so I just might owe beer later today.

He is the only honest politician I have seen in my lifetime that I can remember. He makes perfect sense and is rational. They keep on saying he is not electable and try to force that down our throats.
I hope he will win and somewhere I feel like he will.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

He is the only honest politician I have seen in my lifetime that I can remember. He makes perfect sense and is rational.

You should read more of his stuff then because if you really do, you'll see he's either a huge liar or completely irrational in his thinking.

Either he's trying to pull the wool over the eyes of the uninformed about things the President can't actually do or he actually believes the President can do things that he doesn't have the power to do.

Either way, that's enough for me to not want to vote for him.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Either he's trying to pull the wool over the eyes of the uninformed about things the President can't actually do or he actually believes the President can do things that he doesn't have the power to do.

I actually think the uninformed are the ones who will not consider him.
We hear all this talk about change he is the only one who will at least try to bring some changes.

I also have never heard him say I will do this no matter what. I believe he understand that most Americans are smart enough to know that the president can try to bring change but this is not a dictatorship he can not just do what he wants. Again I believe he understand that most Americans already know this.

What he will do is try to make this country what it should be to insure are safety and prosperity.

You can dismiss his supporters as uninformed if you like, but most that I have met are young, responsible adults who actually follow politics.
AT least that has been my exp.

The only "they" that says he is not electable is his abysmal single digit polling results. He is by far and away one of the most dishonest politicians I can think of. He can deny all he wants that he had nothing to do with various newsletters that were published by him in the 90's that were racist, sexist, anti-semitic, and homophobic, but really...it wasn't one or two references it was over and over again for many years. The man is a fraud.

"What they reveal are decades worth of obsession with conspiracies, sympathy for the right-wing militia movement, and deeply held bigotry against blacks, Jews, and gays. In short, they suggest that Ron Paul is not the plain-speaking antiwar activist his supporters believe they are backing—but rather a member in good standing of some of the oldest and ugliest traditions in American politics," James Kirchik of The New Republic writes.

How is that different from what we have now?[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

True, true.....

"Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right..."
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

It's not. That's my point.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Yup, someone that advocates reducing the government to what it's supposed to be according to the Constitution is obviously a crackpot...

They're not mutually exclusive, you know...

Oh, I know... I was making a sarcastic reply to Quade's post that RP is a crackpot for wanting to reduce gov't....
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Unfortunately the media is trying to mislead people about Paul. They only mention emotional triggers and unfortunately are populace has shown it works on most.

I have heard people say he was against the civil rights movement he was not he was against the government imposing there will on privet property. I respect the fact that he says what he means. I hope most people will do research on him when they hear a negative “sound bite” description of him. We should give all the candidates that benefit.

Unfortunately almost every other candidate will say and do any thing to get elected. I have no respect for that. I like the few honest ones we have but I agree with Ron Paul the most.

Oh, I know... I was making a sarcastic reply to Quade's post that RP is a crackpot for wanting to reduce gov't....

That's wierd, because Quade hasn't made a post on this thread that says that, and the 'reply to' button on your post links to a post of Quade's which simply says "It's not. That's my point."
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

If Mr. Paul draws a significant percentage of votes, expecially from the republicans AND the democrats, both parties may be compelled to adjust their platforms somewhat in pursuit of those votes. It's pretty clear that he won't win the GOP nomination, I'm just hoping he runs as a Libertarian and garners enough votes to get the party matching funds and perhaps even throw a bit of a wrench in the election plans of the republocrats. I, for one, am sick of seeing the same things work for those two time after time, with the same results. I don't agree with Mr. Paul on everything, but I agree with him on much of it.

And it's kind of funny watching you get your panties in a bunch every time his name is brought up. I'm attending a local GOP function tomorrow night. I hope they're flustered to see someone who normally caucuses with the Democrats there in support of Paul...with my alternate being Obama. :D

Blues,
Dave

"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

..it wasn't one or two references it was over and over again for many years

No, the newsletter was around for many years. But the offensive comments appeared only during a 3-4 year period from 1989 - 1993. At that time RP wasn't running the newsletter.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

>Either he's trying to pull the wool over the eyes of the uninformed
>about things the President can't actually do or he actually believes the
>President can do things that he doesn't have the power to do.

I think he's an idealist that sees the world as better than it really is. I think you are right in that if he was elected, he wouldn't be able to do about 75% of what he's claiming he will do - but the effort would, overall, be good for the USA.

I doubt he will win the primary, but I do hope he will run as an independent if that's the case. He won't win, but I think we'd see a surprising percentage of the vote cast his way - and that would have a big effect overall on the positions of both parties.

What a shot in the arm the Nevada caucuses were, where we took the silver as #2

Why is this a shot in the arm? This is his best showing so far.

That is, the dollar is worth 1/14th of what it was, thanks to the counterfeiting Federal Reserve.

The Fed has again taken our country into a terrible crisis.

Conspiracy theory doesn't help his cause

My opponents in both parties are all some variety of print-and-spend Keynesians.

I don't get his thought process. He wants classical economics and Austrian School but wants standard put to money by pegging it to precious metals versus letting it represent true value? didn't he remember the crash of the Gold standard in the early seventies? Doesnt he understand that it's impossible in today's society and speed of exchange to do this?

I'm starting to believe he only read one book on economics and didn't read other ideas. Von Mises written and lived during a different era with obsolete economic practices and theories. It looks like he is not taking the writings with a grain of salt

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

That's wierd, because Quade hasn't made a post on this thread that says that, and the 'reply to' button on your post links to a post of Quade's which simply says "It's not. That's my point."

So I responded to a later post...

Salient quote:

"he's either a huge liar or completely irrational in his thinking. "
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

So I click over here wondering what's up with our good DZ.com buddy 'Ron' and get this disappointment of more info on a politician.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Ron Paul is one card short of a full deck. The utter chaos he wants to inflict on the US is staggering...

Good thing he has no fucking chance of garnering the GOP nomination.

McCain FTW!

Dem (Clinton/Obama), Dem Lite (McCain)... there's a difference?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Let's look at what RP Says he wants to do (as opposed to what other people say he wants to do).
From what I have seen watching a couple of interviews, he wants to reduce the total size of the federal government by about 30%, return to the gold standard, withdraw from the UN and all its subsidiary organizations, withdraw from all multi-lateral as well as any omnibus bi-lateral trade treaties, and cease all non-strictly defensive military actions.
What would he have the power to actually do as POTUS?
Given his voting record over the years he would be unlikely to sign any budget sent to him by congress; can they overrule him on the budget? Hey, it might force a little bi-partisanship in the house. He would never get the support in Congress needed to abolish the IRS.
Returning to the gold standard would require legislation- not gonna happen.
Withdrawing from the UN would also require legislation, but if he doesn't appoint an ambassador, I don't believe Congress can do a damn thing about it. Are trade negotiators and WTO reps presidential prerogatives or House committee appointments? Regardless, the result would be a freezing of the US's trade positions where they sit today; Congress would not let him abrogate treaties, he would not bring forward any proposals under any existing fast track authority.
His main power would be as CinC. Yes he could order all the troops out of South Korea, Japan, Europe, GITMO. I am not sure whether he could order them all out of Iraq and Afghanistan; if I am not mistaken Congress declared war in both of those theatres. Do they have to end the war? Even if they do is troop strength the prerogative of the CinC?
If he made these military moves the world would be a very unstable place while Russia, China, India, Iran, etc. rushed in to fill the void. I suspect he would be assassinated before it could happen.