quade

Do you believe light travels at approximately 186,000 miles per second?

If light leaves the sun at 186,000 mi/sec and I also leave the sun at 183,499 mi/sec

(relative to an arbitrary center of reference at the center of an adjacent galaxy which is moving away from the sun at a rate of 2000 mi/sec (in an exact vector direction opposite myself and the light path) relative to an arbitrary reference fixed on the geometric center of the moon)

how much heavier am I than Mars at the 17 minute mark?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

If light leaves the sun at 186,000 mi/sec and I also leave the sun at 183,499 mi/sec

(relative to an arbitrary center of reference at the center of an adjacent galaxy which is moving away from the sun at a rate of 2000 mi/sec (in an exact vector direction opposite myself and the light path) relative to an arbitrary reference fixed on the geometric center of the moon)

how much heavier am I than Mars at the 17 minute mark?

Request for clarification:

Where is Mars in it's orbit (relative to Schrödinger's cat)?

Where is Shrödinger's car (relative to the 1997 Lost Prairie boogie)?

Is Schrödinger's cat alive or dead?

Do you want the answer in micrograms or carats?
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Last night,my wife and I went out for a drink and eats.
I met Geoff. He is an elderly Gentleman, electronics engineer was his former work. In my discussions with Geoff, it is apparent that he has proved that photons are figment of Einstein’s imagination (And as Occam says ‘you should always look for a natural explanation, however complicated, before you start inventing new phenomena.’).

http://www.the-phoney-photon.com

Tell me what you think please. Thanks in advance
take care,
space

Disclaimer:
My boss is a physicist. I am his researcher, in magnetics and their transitory effect due to mechanical forces. That being said only because I do want you to know that I may have a clue that i don't have a clue or do.

. . . it is apparent that he has proved that photons are figment of Einstein’s imagination . . .

In science, "prove" is a very strong word.

In any case, it matters not that it is a particle or wave for the purposes of this discussion.

I did take a look at the site. I'm instantly skeptical about why he decided to publish a web site and not a peer reviewed paper in a journal.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I haven't read it all, I got to the photo-electric effect and figured he was wrong, but either way his work is incomplete without a full mathematical treatment (which he repeatedly asks for some charitable reader to do for him, presumable he either can't be bothered do it himself or isn't capable). This fact alone screams quack.

:
------------------------------------------------------------In science, "prove" is a very strong word.

That's for sure, since supposedly proven facts are subject to change and do change.

Not really. Facts, don't really change. A fact is something like the boiling point of water or 2 plus 2 equals 4.

Theories change. Theories are the way we try to understand how things work. Yes, over time they may change as our knowledge about different facts change.
quade -

Cloaking is not exactly a new science... the Klingons have been doing it for years.

Just wanted you to know that someone read the links you posted
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Uhmm. I think the light travels at the rate of 3.0E8 meter/sec in vaccum. This means that it travels 300,000,000 meters/sec

To conver to Miles per sec

300,000,000 (meters/sec) x (0.00062 miles/meter)= 186,000 miles/sec:ph34r:

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" Franklin

Not really. Facts, don't really change. A fact is something like the boiling point of water or 2 plus 2 equals 4.

Actually, from what my physics prof pounded into us this quarter, what we perceive as facts does change. For example, it was an accepted fact that humans had 22 pairs of chromosomes at one time. As technology progressed, it was found that we have 23 pairs. A fact changed. Theories will also change and evolve.
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

Actually, from what my physics prof pounded into us this quarter, what we perceive as facts does change. For example, it was an accepted fact that humans had 22 chromosomes at one time. As technology progressed, it was found that we have 26. A fact changed. Theories will also change and evolve.

I'm hoping that was just a typo. It's 23 pairs of chromosomes - the 22 original autosomes + 2 sex chromosomes (XX or XY), for most humans. There are relatively rare conditions/diseases in which some people have additions or deletions.

New phenomena, features & materials are discovered, yes ... and hypotheses and theories are revised (or completely abandoned, e.g., flat earth, Rutherford 'plum-pudding' atom model) but saying "facts change" is a little bit problematic in its simplicity.

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

A fact is something like the boiling point of water or 2 plus 2 equals 4.

Unless you are doing your math on a Pentium CPU.:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Actually, from what my physics prof pounded into us this quarter, what we perceive as facts does change.

What we perceive may, but the fact itself does not.

For example, Pi is the ratio between the radius and diameter of a circle. That is a fact. So, while in biblical times the number 3 might have been close enough for some people, our calculation still required some refinement. We have had various values for that ratio over the years as we're able to calculate it out to higher decimal places, but the fact itself doesn't change at all.

Same with the speed of light. The actual speed of light in a vacuum hasn't changed at all. Its value (how we perceive it), has been refined, but the actual speed itself hasn't changed at all.
quade -

What we perceive may, but the fact itself does not.

I was thinking about on the way home tonight and realized that was actually the more accurate explanation for what I was trying to say. The problem I see is how scientists and non-scientists use words like fact, law and theory. Their meanings depend on the speaker and the setting. We had some rather spirited debate in the physics class I just finished, although to call it debate is probably not entirely accurate. Some of us debated and discussed. Others just came back with the "It's just a theory" remark repeatedly.
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

<>Typo and brain fart. I'm on break and so is my brain apparently. The point I was trying to make is that the word fact doesn't mean absolute, unchanging true statement as many take it to mean. Thanks, Pat

Fantasy
Asolutely
Contradicting
Truth
"T'was ever thus."

If an object were to travel 186,00 mps, would that object become light?:)

How about a car that goes the speed of light?
And then you turn on the headlights?

The light races towards the edges of the galaxy, but the sum of the gravitational forces bends it until it comes around behind you?

The light would now be in your rear view mirror, so make sure to have your low beams on.

Or, the polite thing to do is to flash your high beams.
Signal that you should pull over and allow yourself to pass.
;)

>If an object were to travel 186,00 mps, would that object become light?

18600 MPS is about 42,000 mph. Our probes go almost that fast - New Horizons left Earth at a speed of about 36,000 mph.

But in any case things get heavier when they get close to the speed of light.

<>

What, does an objects mass change as it changes speed?

As velocity approaches "c", the mass of the object approaches infinity, hence the energy required to propel it approaches infinity.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.