DSE

Another US Shooting-this time a church

"Police arrived to find that the gunman had been killed by a member of the church's armed security staff, Myers said.

"There was a courageous staff member who probably saved many lives here today," Myers said."

I'm glad to see that the pro-active security measures taken by the church and the competent actions by the armed guard saved lives. This could have been a whole lot worse. Apparently the gunman and a ton of ammunition.

Five killed in Colorado Springs.
Armed guard in the church shot, killed gunman.

Let's be clear: There were two locations where someone shot people, possibly the same gunman. Four died at the first location, and only one person died at the location that had an armed guard who was able to return fire and kill the attacker.

I don't expect the media to make much of this startling difference in death tolls due to the presence of a good guy with a gun.

But it should be a serious wake-up call for people.

You can't stop in advance suicidal madmen who want to kill a bunch of people. But once they start, good guys with guns can sure as hell mitigate the amount of damage done. This case proves it.

Pretty sad state of affairs when a church needs armed guards.

Read the story. Someone made an excellent decision based upon the earlier nearby shooting: a decision to add armed guards. Oh the horror! And that decision saved lives.
"Security at the church had been beefed up after the early morning shootings in Arvada... Police arrived to find that the gunman had been killed by a member of the church's armed security staff... 'There was a courageous staff member who probably saved many lives here today'..."
There's also this:
"the security guard rushed the attacker, who didn't get more than 6 feet inside the building, and 'took him down in the hallway'... 'She probably saved 100 lives...' The gunman 'had a lot of ammunition to do a lot of damage.'"
Source: http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8TEMV100&show_article=1
This brave armed security guard was a volunteer, a woman, using her own gun. I want to have a date with this gutsy woman.

It's too bad the Omaha mall didn't have armed guards on duty with guts like that.

"No gun" zones are death zones. Good guys with guns are good.

"Security at the church had been beefed up after the early morning shootings in Arvada...

The conclusions you draw cannot be substantiated with the quotes you post.

I still stand by my original quote that it is a sad state of affairs that a church needs armed guards.

I don't expect the media to make much of this startling difference in death tolls due to the presence of a good guy with a gun.

Do you know for a fact that there was no one with a gun at the first location?

No one with enough guts to use it to fight back.

"Security at the church had been beefed up after the early morning shootings in Arvada...

The conclusions you draw cannot be substantiated with the quotes you post.

I still stand by my original quote that it is a sad state of affairs that a church needs armed guards.

I guess thou shalt not kill was blacked out of that churches commandments and replaced with thou shalt have well armed and trained guards at the doors of the house of god, because surely smith and wesson shall protect thee when the lord is otherwise occupied.

>No one with enough guts to use it to fight back.

Been watching Die Hard movies again, eh?

Surely the reason that violence happens in today's society is that there are not enough REAL MEN(tm) with guns as big as their balls who can draw and fire as fast as action heroes in popular movies.

Surely the reason that violence happens in today's society is that there are not enough REAL MEN(tm) with guns as big as their balls who can draw and fire as fast as action heroes in popular movies.

Ironically, was it not a woman who was the armed security guard at the Colorado Springs Church?

Perhaps the lesson to be learned, if we are basing policy recommendations on this single data point, is to arm women?

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Been watching Die Hard movies again, eh? Surely the reason that violence happens in today's society is that there are not enough REAL MEN(tm) with guns as big as their balls who can draw and fire as fast as action heroes in popular movies.

Ah yes, make fun of the brave woman who saved countless lives because she had a gun, and the guts the use it, to stop a madman.

I suppose you would have preferred that the church be unarmed so that the gunman could have slaughtered dozens?

After all, you wouldn't want the country to get the impression that law-abiding citizens with guns is a good idea...

Perhaps the lesson to be learned, if we are basing policy recommendations on this single data point, is to arm women?

I'll send you a sidearm tomorrow.

It would be a very interesting experiment to arm all women in a society. Would it just be the positives - no more rapists in the park, or would it be similar to when women entered management and started harassing men in numbers similar to their representation?

Been watching Die Hard movies again, eh?

Wow, what a worthless post.
Provoking a reaction isn't the same thing as saying something meaningful.
-Calvin

Let's be clear - keeping guns out of the hands of madmen would result in a lot of saved lives.

But since that is no more feasible than completely eliminating crime itself, I'll just stick to carrying my Walther. Thanks.

Edit: Kallend, you sound like a man with some answers. What would you suggest we do to keep guns out of the hands of criminals besides the laws we already have on the books?
Provoking a reaction isn't the same thing as saying something meaningful.
-Calvin

No kidding. That speaks quite clearly about our mainstream culture.
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

Let's be clear - keeping guns out of the hands of madmen would result in a lot of saved lives.

But since that is no more feasible than completely eliminating crime itself, I'll just stick to carrying my Walther. Thanks.

Edit: Kallend, you sound like a man with some answers. What would you suggest we do to keep guns out of the hands of criminals besides the laws we already have on the books?

Been sleeping for the last few days?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

You apparently misunderstand the situation.

The armed guards were brought in because of another shooting 12 hours earlier at another church, and the gunman was still on the loose. It was a wise and prudent security measure, and it paid off big time. It does not mean that the church always has armed guards all the time.

Go ahead and pass another law stating just that and get back to me with the results. How do you plan on executing your well laid out plan?
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

You apparently misunderstand the situation.

The armed guards were brought in because of another shooting 12 hours earlier at another church, and the gunman was still on the loose. It was a wise and prudent security measure, and it paid off big time. It does not mean that the church always has armed guards all the time.

No faith that god will protect his temple of worship/crack snorting/gay sex??????
Yeah, maybe armed guards are a good idea for that night club.

This brave armed security guard was a volunteer, a woman, using her own gun.

I'm curious whether she was a security professional, or perhaps just a member of the church with a CCW.

Edited to add: One of the articles I read mentioned she was in plainclothes.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.