DSE

Another US Shooting-this time a church

PS: Nice graph. Isn't it wonderful how you can make the data points fit any curve you like by leaving off the data points that don't fit? Where's Switzerland on that graph, again? I'm surprised that a professor would mistake correlation for causation.

Here you go.

http://www.guncontrol.ca/Content/international.html#access

I was quite surprised. Switzerland appears to be 3rd behind the US for gun deaths.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

PS: Nice graph. Isn't it wonderful how you can make the data points fit any curve you like by leaving off the data points that don't fit? Where's Switzerland on that graph, again? I'm surprised that a professor would mistake correlation for causation.

Here you go.

http://www.guncontrol.ca/Content/international.html#access

I was quite surprised. Switzerland appears to be 3rd behind the US for gun deaths.

Thanks.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

[replyI guess thou shalt not kill was blacked out of that churches commandments and replaced with thou shalt have well armed and trained guards at the doors of the house of god, because surely smith and wesson shall protect thee when the lord is otherwise occupied.

Actually, the text was "Thou shalt not MURDER." - a bit of editing was done from the original Hebrew.

I refer you also to Luke 22:36.

Does ancient Hebrew make the same distinction between those two concepts the same way English does? What are the two words?

I believe the link I posted explains the difference...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

[replyWhy don't you fix it for us? You can also separate out by US state too, to show how the states with highest rates of gun ownership also have the highest gun fatality rates in the USA (Louisiana, Alabama, Tennessee, Arizona, TX).

1. Where's the control group, Professor? ;)

2. As I recall, DC still scores higher than them all.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

[replyWhy don't you fix it for us? You can also separate out by US state too, to show how the states with highest rates of gun ownership also have the highest gun fatality rates in the USA (Louisiana, Alabama, Tennessee, Arizona, TX).

What are you trying to control for? This a comparison between different sub-groups.

If you want to compare with the US average, they are all higher.

When did DC become a state?

I think the problem most people are having with your proposal is that if you make a gun impossible to steal, you also make it impossible to get to if you need it.

What a cop-out.

If you keep a gun for personal security, then why is keeping IT secure impossible?

What could happen, under your proposed "solution":

Four armed men break into Katie's house. Katie hears them, opens her gun safe, gets her .40 Glock, and calls 911. She locks her bedroom door and hides in the closet, waiting for the police. The men break down Katie's door. They ransack her bedroom. They enter the closet. Seeing their weapons and fearing for her life, Katie lawfully fires her weapon at the men, killing two and wounding a third before being incapacitated and raped by the third and fourth attacker. The attackers leave, taking Katie's jewelry, electronics, and her weapon. The police finally turn up forty five minutes later and find two dead perpetrators, a blood trail leading out the door, and Katie in a coma. She wakes up a week later handcuffed to her hospital bed because the weapon she had removed from her gun safe to lawfully defend herself was stolen by her attackers and used in another robbery the next day.

That is why I don't like your "solution."

What a strawman. That is NOT anything remotely resembling anything I suggested.

I suggest that gun owners take responsibility for the security of their weapons. If you can't do that, maybe you shouldn't have a gun.

What are you trying to control for? This a comparison between different sub-groups.

If you want to compare with the US average, they are all higher.

Seems to match up to the situation you told me I had to have a control group for, that is why I asked.

When did DC become a state?

DC is considered a state for legal purposes...unless you're saying that federal law doesn't apply in DC?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

She is a former Minneapolis cop, and very easy on the eyes...

Thanks for those links to additional news stories. Wow! This is one courageous babe!

There were 7,000 people inside that church. With high-velocity rifle bullets, each shot is likely to go through the first person it hits, and also hit a second person. And with people packed in that densely, he wouldn't even have to aim - he could just spray into the mass. With a single 30-round magazine, he could potentially kill 50 people. And he had 1,000-rounds of ammo on him. The potential death toll here could have been staggering!

But it was all stopped because of one very brave armed woman who refused to stand by and do nothing.

BRAVO!

The laws of this land should allow law-abiding people to carry firearms in public places, so that more opportunities like this could occur to stop madmen in their tracks.

Thanks for noticing that selective cherry-picking of data points.

Kallend knows better, he just prefers to misinform and mislead people with his anti-gun posts. That's part of the game he plays.

I do notice, however that the homicide rate with guns is not really that high; it is the suicide rate that does it.

There you go. You just busted yet another form of misleading misinformation from the anti-gun folks. They love to use the phrase "gun deaths", which is comprised of murder, suicide and accidents. But they don't bother to explain that, because they want everyone to presume it means only murders. And of course, guns don't make people commit suicide, and there are more gun suicides in America than there are gun murders. So, statistics lumping murder and suicides together are really meaningless, because their causes are not the same. But hey, any old lie is good enough for the anti-gun folks if it fools people into voting to ban guns. It worked for 10 years with the so-called "assault weapon" ban, after the anti-gun folks and the complicit media convinced everyone it was about machine guns.

I suggest that gun owners take responsibility for the security of their weapons. If you can't do that, maybe you shouldn't have a gun.

We're still waiting for you to define what you think is appropriate. You are surprisingly quiet on providing details, despite the fact that you've uttered this new mantra of yours about 30 times now. I would think it's about time for you to flesh out your proposal.

Is storing my guns inside a locked house not good enough for you?

If not, then how many more layers of locks would be necessary, for you to absolve me of responsibility should they be stolen?

Quit imitating a stuck record player, and explain further.

It's amazing that an engineering professor who explains complex things for a living, can't seem to provide a single detail on this proposal. It's curious...

Interesting chart. What's clear is that there are far more gun deaths that are suicides than homicides (of other people).

The guy saw a chart showing gunshot deaths and asked what those figures were for switzerland. I provided a chart to answer his question and that is all. In doing so I presented all the data not just the end figures.

so maybe I should ban myself?:o

?????????
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

We're still waiting for you to define what you think is appropriate. You are surprisingly quiet on providing details, despite the fact that you've uttered this new mantra of yours about 30 times now. I would think it's about time for you to flesh out your proposal.

If not, then how many more layers of locks would be necessary, for you to absolve me of responsibility should they be stolen?

It's amazing that an engineering professor who explains complex things for a living, can't seem to provide a single detail on this proposal. It's curious...

Still waiting for YOUR ideas on how to prevent loonies and criminals from getting guns.

Quit playing your coy games.

Or are you completely devoid of ideas?

I do notice, however that the homicide rate with guns is not really that high; it is the suicide rate that does it.

There you go. You just busted yet another form of misleading misinformation from the anti-gun folks. They love to use the phrase "gun deaths", which is comprised of murder, suicide and accidents. .

Only in your dreams.

www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3044156#3044156

What a strawman. That is NOT anything remotely resembling anything I suggested.

Of course it resembles what you suggested. You suggested placing the burden of proof on the gun owner to prove they properly secured their gun. As the victim in my scenario removed the gun from the safe when she heard the perpetrators enter her home, she has no way to prove her gun was secure.

Still waiting for YOUR ideas on how to prevent loonies and criminals from getting guns.

I answered your question - go back and see message #218.

Now, would you like to provide the details on your "safe storage" proposal?

Or are you going to continue to destroy your credibility with these silly games of yours, and your repetitious frothing at the mouth?

I think it's difficult for anyone to take you seriously with these childish debate tactics of yours.

There you go. You just busted yet another form of misleading misinformation from the anti-gun folks. They love to use the phrase "gun deaths", which is comprised of murder, suicide and accidents. But they don't bother to explain that, because they want everyone to presume it means only murders. And of course, guns don't make people commit suicide, and there are more gun suicides in America than there are gun murders.

Fact remains that when more guns are available, more people die of gunshots.

A simple statement that those on the pro-gun side are never willing to admit to.

[Fact remains that when more guns are available, more people die of gunshots.

Nope, not a fact at all, unless you cherry-pick your examples.

The fact is, there are places with:

1) Lots of guns, and lots of murders.
2) Lots of guns, and few murders.
3) Few guns, and lots of murders.
4) Few guns, and few murders.

The examples are all across the spectrum. Thus, one cannot logically conclude that more guns causes more murder.

If you're making this claim based upon suicides, then you should be aware of studies that show that people who decide to kill themselves will do so by any means available. Removing guns does not reduce suicide. Take Japan, for example, where hardly anyone owns guns, yet their suicide rate is much higher than in the U.S.

It's not about guns. It's about culture.

Fact remains that when more guns are available, more people die of gunshots.

A simple statement that those on the pro-gun side are never willing to admit to.

I'm pro-gun and I'll admit to it. I'll also admit that when more cars are available, more people die in auto accidents, and when more swimming pools are available, more people drown to death. If there were no guns or cars, there'd be no gun or auto-related deaths. I bet we'd all still find ways to kill ourselves and each other though . . . I've heard drowning isn't horribly unpleasant.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Nope, not a fact at all, unless you cherry-pick your examples.

The fact is, there are places with:

1) Lots of guns, and lots of murders.
2) Lots of guns, and few murders.
3) Few guns, and lots of murders.
4) Few guns, and few murders.

The examples are all across the spectrum. Thus, one cannot logically conclude that more guns causes more murder.

If you're making this claim based upon suicides, then you should be aware of studies that show that people who decide to kill themselves will do so by any means available. Removing guns does not reduce suicide. Take Japan, for example, where hardly anyone owns guns, yet their suicide rate is much higher than in the U.S.

I am talking of people dieing of gunshots and that it is more prevalant when more guns are available.

I knew you would be one never able to admit to that.

Here's mine.

Since it's impossible to completely prevent loonies and criminals from getting guns, I choose to arm myself rather than be an helpless victim. If more people made the same choice, the loonies and criminals wouldn't have such a huge advantage, and incidents like this one would become a lot less common, and the damage done would be much more limited.

This particular shooting illustrates that beautifully: The madman in question shot up another church and killed many people; he entered another church intending the same harm and was stopped by an armed citizen. Yes, ideally no madman would ever be able to get or operate a gun, but that's an idealized world, not the one we live in. The UK has had extremely strict gun control laws for a long long time, and people there STILL go on shooting rampages.
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth