watchdog2

What causes Gravity?? Does anyone really know??

I read about the Inverted Earth theory (LOL!) and how it states that gravity is the resuly of centrifugal force.

I'm not sure you get the point of speaker's corner.

The damn liberals are the cause of the Earth's suckiness.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

How much do you want to know about the theories of warped space-time?

Are you looking for a simple understanding or the ultimate answer?

The simple understanding I can probably give, the ultimate answer (other than 42), nobody actually knows.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Enlighten me...

I read about the Inverted Earth theory (LOL!) and how it states that gravity is the resuly of centrifugal force.

:D

It's caused by the government to keep us from jumping around from planet to planet by ourselves. They want total control over all interplanetary travel and the first step is making it difficult for a person to do so on their own. So far they are succeeding. :P

Either that or, as already posted, the world just sucks.

Good for you! You're thinking with an open mind, and not buying the media-created "scientific consensus" about the theory of gravitation. Anyone who has ever seen a hot-air balloon knows that gravity is NOT reality. Time is running out for the gravity-theory alarmists!

Good for you! You're thinking with an open mind, and not buying the media-created "scientific consensus" about the theory of gravitation. Anyone who has ever seen a hot-air balloon knows that gravity is NOT reality. Time is running out for the gravity-theory alarmists!

I'm sure someone...maybe the great great great great great great great great great great grandson/daughter of someone with advanced intelligence and a huge brain such as a physics professor like Kallend...will eventually have evolved in intelligence enough to understand and explain gravity...maybe....probably....sometime in the future millions and millions of years from now. That is, unless he/she has evolved into something so different he/she can no longer communicate with us on our level. ;)

I'm sure someone...maybe the great great great great great great great great great great grandson/daughter of someone with advanced intelligence and a huge brain such as a physics professor like Kallend...will eventually have evolved in intelligence enough to understand and explain gravity...maybe....probably....sometime in the future millions and millions of years from now. That is, unless he/she has evolved into something so different he/she can no longer communicate with us on our level. ;)

Yeah, but in the meantime let's just assume it's magic.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

That is, unless he/she has evolved into something so different he/she can no longer communicate with us on our level. ;)

I don't think so. I think, much like most other things in science, once we've discovered how they actually work, we'll all slap ourselves on the forehead and say something akin to, "Well, duh! Why didn't we see that before?"

It's like a simple card trick. It's easy, once YOU know the secret.

Transport billvon back in time 100 years ago and the knowledge he would have compared to most of the greatest scientists of the time would be astounding. He'd freekin' rule the world. But from a strictly evolutionary stand point, his brain isn't able to -do- anything theirs couldn't. It's not any larger or more complex. He just knows more about the true nature of how things work.

It's not going to take a million years. Hell, it -might- be tomorrow.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Yeah, but in the meantime let's just assume it's magic.

I don't believe in magic. I do believe in God, however, mainly because the evidence of designed creation screams it. Just like I believe a painter had to exist for there to be a painting or a builder had to exist for there to be a building.

You, on the other hand, have to believe that something came from nothing, exploded, and became an organized everything. That seems unreasonable. Psalm 14:1-3

>But from a strictly evolutionary stand point, his brain isn't able to -do-
>anything theirs couldn't.

From a strictly evolutionary viewpoint that's right. Further, lower intelligence (i.e. the level of intelligence below which one cannot figure out birth control, or how to plan for birth control) is currently being selected _for._

However, people today are on average smarter because we have more crutches. I am a better designer because I have a CAD system that helps me design boards, a calculator that lets me do math, a program that lets me simulate lots of things, a compiler that helps me write code etc etc. I could reconstruct some of that, but it would take a lifetime with circa-1907 technology.

Now, that gap is not yet so bad that I could not communicate with people in 1907, but it's bad enough that I couldn't easily communicate with people in 1607. (Probably be burned as a witch.) I mean, try to talk about climate modeling when the concept of air takes half an hour to get across!

If we keep to our current direction, the future (to me) looks like a lot of somewhat dumber people augmented by machines so they can do what they need to do. Thus far we've been able to function without machines (barely) but that won't be true for much longer.

If we keep to our current direction, the future (to me) looks like a lot of somewhat dumber people augmented by machines so they can do what they need to do. Thus far we've been able to function without machines (barely) but that won't be true for much longer.

So self-aware, self-replicating machines will begin their own type of evolution and will eventually take over. The smart people "like all you fellas" will be selected out eventually and we'll be left with dumb machine dependent people "like me" who can't funtion as you said without them. We're all headed for extinction......once they get tired of dealing with us. :o

You, on the other hand, have to believe that something came from nothing, exploded, and became an organized everything. That seems unreasonable. Psalm 14:1-3

Well actually, you're putting words in my mouth. I never said those things.

I know I'm ignorant. I only have an advanced layman's understanding of astrophysics and the related disciplines. I'm not qualified to have an opinion about the "nothing" or the "explosion" or the "becoming organized everything" that you talk about.

However, all things considered, your supernatural human-like being sitting in the clouds with a big beard and bad temper strikes me as the sort of thing primitive people concoct because, well, because they're pretty much hopeless at anything more sophisticated and too busy surviving to really sit down and think it through.

But the more modern approach is instilling your species' smartest curious members with a decent living and a budget for machinery so they can look around, consider carefully what they see in the universe, and think real hard about what it all means while using those oh-so-handy rules of logic. Then pit them against each other to keep the whole thing honest.

The latter seems far more likely to result in truth than trusting a bunch of old storybooks.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

It's already been explained, a long time ago:

"It surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together"
Obi-Wan Kenobi

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

but it's bad enough that I couldn't easily communicate with people in 1607. (Probably be burned as a witch.)

I'd view you more as a warlock. Hey, did they burn warlocks? Or did they save it only for the feminine variety? (For a good time, date a gal who is a member of a coven.;))

My wife is hotter than your wife.

isnt gravity a US plot to keep the aviation business afloat.

Naw, it's a plot to keep the man DOWN.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)