philh

The Secret

Recently Ive been hearing about a movie called "The Secret" and its main principle "The Law of Attraction". A quick look up on Wikipedia desribed this:

"As put forth in the film, the "Law of Attraction" principle posits that people's feelings and thoughts attract real events in the world into their lives; from the workings of the cosmos to interactions among individuals in their physical, emotional, and professional affairs. The film also suggests that there has been a strong tendency by those in positions of power to keep this central principle hidden from the public."

Does anyone take such a notion seriously? I didnt know whether to lauch or cry when reading about such a ridiculous idea.

Sounds a lot like The Celestine Prophecy.

I guess there's something about the American psyche(sp?) that cranks up the interest if we think we're getting in on something... especially if there are powerful people who want to keep it hidden. Oh my!:o

Go ready Norman Vincent Peale, folks. Same message... without all the drama.

Does anyone take such a notion seriously?

Yes.

Lets face it, some people will believe anything. Hell, there are people out there who think a magic man in the sky will cure cancer if they ask him nicely enough.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Yes.

Lets face it, some people will believe anything. Hell, there are people out there who think a magic man in the sky will cure cancer if they ask him nicely enough.

Wow. It only took three replies. :o

Yes.

Wow. It only took three replies. :o

For what?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

The notion? It makes sense. Its based on reciprocity and liking, some of the basis of influence and power (have a look at this from one of the leading researcher on influence) http://maisonbisson.com/blog/post/10958/ (sorry, the video was taken down last night)

The fact that its because of some cosmic link between all of the atoms of the universe? Sure.. Why not. After all, the FSM works in mysterious ways! ;)
Remster

Reciprocity is certainly something to consider in social realtions. But that is not what this "law of attraction " is saying at all. Its saying that you attract your own reality with your thoughts. That is cleary absurd.

There's a lot of hype surrounding it, but I think there's some truth to it. as someone else pointed out, it's like Peale's Power of Positive Thinking.

the silly part is about it being this HUGE SECRET that people in power have deliberately kept hidden. :S That's just hype to make it sound more exciting.

But I think there is something to the effect of the attitude you bring to life affecting outcome.

For example, I know this guy who is ill all the time. He's got this real negative personality and EXPECTS to get sick easily, and it seems to happen. It really looks as though he wills himself to get sick.

Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

you attract your own reality with your thoughts

I havent seen the dvd, but from what I understand, its more then just thoughts. Its also about how you live your life.

Again, I really dont buy this cosmic, metaphysical BS: I think its just a feel good way of presenting a similar point.
Remster

I dont think anyone is rubbishing the idea that a positive attitude in life is a good thing. But these guys seem to go much further
"Universal Laws govern the Universe. They are basic principles of life and have been around since Creation. They are laws of the Divine Universe. Universal Laws apply to everyone, everywhere. They cannot be changed. They cannot be broken.

The Universal Law of Attraction (LOA) is the most powerful force in the universe. It is simple in concept but practice is necessary. But once you "get it",  there is no looking back! It will be part of you forever. The simplest definition of this law is "like attracts like."  Other definitions include:
You get what you think about, whether wanted or unwanted.

All forms of matter and energy are attracted to that which is of a like vibration.

You are a living magnet.
You get what you put your energy and focus on, whether wanted or unwanted.
Energy attracts like energy
Everything draws to itself that which is like itself. "

Apart from the pseudo scientific BS theres also another point. The marketing of the film is focused on think about what you want and youll get it, thats just wrong. But more importantly is the negative side of this coin, the implication of this law of attraction is that when bad stuff happens its because people thought bad thoughts. Victims only have themselves to blame, what utter tosh.

I agree there's a lot of hype, but I try to distill that out & look for what's valuable or inspirational about the message.

I don't actually believe you can just sit on your ass & think happy thoughts & you'll just get everything you want dropped in your lap.

What I take from it is that adjusting your attitude in a positive way will help you, among other things, be in a proper state of mind that will help you take action & seize opportunities.

A person who sits around with a negative "It'll never work" attitude will almost certainly achieve less in life than a person with a more optimistic attitude.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

* There are SOME things in life that go a lot better if your attitude is positive.
* There are OTHER things that are almost certainly completely unaffected.

Knowing what someone puts into each of those two categories tells you a lot about their attachment to reality.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

For example, I know this guy who is ill all the time. He's got this real negative personality and EXPECTS to get sick easily, and it seems to happen. It really looks as though he wills himself to get sick.

And if one stares at the single tree in a wide open field when trying to land a canopy, one will hit that tree.

The factors at work in these two situations may be more similar than it first appears. I don't buy the idea of physical phenomena occuring purely due to thought, but I have no trouble observing (every single day) that thought can influence people's actions in ways they have trouble perceiving themselves.

We're big sacks of meat and chemicals, people; don't expect too much.

"Try Transcendental Meditation. Maharishi Yogi has been saying this for a long time. "

Another fraud who think his meditators can actually levitate without a wind tunnel and this fraud is supposed to create world peace, I dont think so.

Philippians 4: 8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

I don't think it is a "law", but it beats the doing the opposite. IMHO

steveOrino

"As put forth in the film, the "Law of Attraction" principle posits that people's feelings and thoughts attract real events in the world into their lives; from the workings of the cosmos to interactions among individuals in their physical, emotional, and professional affairs. The film also suggests that there has been a strong tendency by those in positions of power to keep this central principle hidden from the public."

Does anyone take such a notion seriously? I didnt know whether to lauch or cry when reading about such a ridiculous idea.

Did you know that 5% of the Earths Human population knows that the other 95% is clueless?

Chris

* There are SOME things in life that go a lot better if your attitude is positive.
* There are OTHER things that are almost certainly completely unaffected.

Knowing what someone puts into each of those two categories tells you a lot about their attachment to reality.

pretty much everything in life goes better (easier pick the word you prefer) if you have the right attitude about it...

every experience is shit if you expect it to be shit, but you can find joy, even in shit, if you look for it with the right attitude.

"The Secret" is just another feel good hype movement. There is no Secret, there never has been, Life is what you make of it, your attitude goes along why towards what you are able to accomplish in any enviroment.