Westboro Baptists to Picket VA Tech Funerals

Hard to believe. What a world we live in.

Story

Anti-gay group to picket Va. Tech funerals
TOPEKA, Kan., April 19 (UPI) -- An anti-gay group from Topeka, Kan., announced plans to picket the funerals of victims of the Virginia Tech massacre.
The Westboro Baptist Church, which is not affiliated with any national Baptist organization, claims shooter Cho Seung-hui was carrying out God's wishes by punishing the victims who weren't Christian, CBS News reported.

"The evidence is they were not Christian. God does not do that to his servants," WBC member Shirley Phelps-Roper told CBS.

The group is known for setting up anti-gay protests at the funerals of U.S. soldiers, although Virginia already has added funerals and memorial services to the state's disorderly conduct statute that could be used by police to keep WBC members at a distance, the report said.

Cho killed 32 people and himself on Monday at the university.
------------------------------------------

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I wonder how long before one of those wackos picks up a gun to carry out 'God's wishes'

thank God they have a 'constituional right' to own and carry a gun, especially in Virginia.....

TK

I'm beginning to get the impression that they're more interested in publicity or putting themselves in a situation where they reap the financial awards of a lawsuit stemming from an altercation.
This reminds me though, where's that thread about when it's ok to shoot someone?

They will continue with this stupidity as long as the media publishes their name, and as long as people post their activities on websites. This will end when we all start ignoring them.

I wholeheartedly disagree, Bill.
As with any radical group....if you ignore me I will continue and amp up my activities until you cant ignore me any longer.
We ignored the Islamic radicals when they first tried to bring down the World Trade Center with the truck bomb in the parking garage. They came back and finished the job and we arent ignoring them now.

These people under the guise of morality...have none.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Good point , if they believe this madman was doing gods will, then its not exactly a big leap for one of them to grab a gun and do gods will themselves.
it might be an interesting question to those who are theists - if you believed god commanded you to kill would you do it? I hope many would say no but I fear there are people out there who would say yes.

> As with any radical group....if you ignore me I will continue and amp
>up my activities until you cant ignore me any longer.

That's fine. Ignore them until they, say, throw a stone, then put them all in jail - and continue ignoring them. Their strength is the publicity we give them.

>We ignored the Islamic radicals . . .

No, we didn't.

That's fine. Ignore them until they, say, throw a stone, then put them all in jail - and continue ignoring them. Their strength is the publicity we give them.

Throw a stone ???? The last homegrown religious radical I remember blew up a woman at the olympic park....blew up a couple gay bars and shot some folks at abortion centers.
Throw a stone ?
Whats frightening to me is that you really believe that.

bozo

Throw a stone ???? The last homegrown religious radical I remember blew up a woman at the olympic park....blew up a couple gay bars and shot some folks at abortion centers.
Throw a stone ?
Whats frightening to me is that you really believe that.

IMO, protesters(sp?) are quite different from terrorists.

The media should ignore them,.. the FBI should not.

Good point , if they believe this madman was doing gods will, then its not exactly a big leap for one of them to grab a gun and do gods will themselves.
it might be an interesting question to those who are theists - if you believed god commanded you to kill would you do it? I hope many would say no but I fear there are people out there who would say yes.

There are plenty of examples of people who think God has commanded them to kill. Just look at all Islamic terrorist organizations.

>Throw a stone ????

Yes. All these people have ever done is talk and walk around with their stupid signs. And that's protected.

What's your solution? Arrest all the people with absurd/disgusting views who protest?

Certainly not. Last I heard we still had civil rights.
The point i'm trying to get across is that ignoring them is the wrong course of action.
It may be that....as with the nutcase in Va....dont really be suprised when they do act out violently.

bozo

>Throw a stone ????

Yes. All these people have ever done is talk and walk around with their stupid signs. And that's protected.

What's your solution? Arrest all the people with absurd/disgusting views who protest?

I'm thinking show up at the funeral with a truckload of spoiled farm produce, and pass it out to all of the non-protesters.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

>The point i'm trying to get across is that ignoring them is the wrong course of action.

The reason they do things like this is because people pay attention to them.

Want to see them as a big, well-funded, heavily publicized religious nut organization that pickets every gay funeral? Then post about them, read newspaper stories about them, read their website, and talk about them a lot. That's exactly what they are hoping you will do.

>It may be that....as with the nutcase in Va....dont really be suprised
>when they do act out violently.

If your point is that we should pay more attention to troubled kids who show warning signs, I agree 100%. If you are trying to equate them to the Westboro Baptists - then I have no idea what you're talking about. They have nothing in common.

[>It may be that....as with the nutcase in Va....dont really be suprised
>when they do act out violently.

If your point is that we should pay more attention to troubled kids who show warning signs, I agree 100%. If you are trying to equate them to the Westboro Baptists - then I have no idea what you're talking about. They have nothing in common.

You dont think there are people within the Westboro Baptists just as whacked and deluded as the kid at VT ?
What set him off ?
What will it take to set any radical nutjob off ?

What did it take to set Timothy McVeigh off ? He won a bronze star for valor in the gulf war....then he blew up the federal building.

They all have something in common. They believe in their deluded minds that they are right.

bozo

>You dont think there are people within the Westboro Baptists
>just as whacked and deluded as the kid at VT ?

No. There is a difference between a disturbed kid that kills people and an organized hate group that's been around for years and has a very effective business model. "They're both bad" does not mean they are similar.

>What did it take to set Timothy McVeigh off ? He won a bronze star
> for valor in the gulf war....then he blew up the federal building.

Right. So should we "keep an eye on" any US soldiers who are religious? Several posters here fit that description, and have been described by other posters in such derogatory terms.

Right. So should we "keep an eye on" any US soldiers who are religious? Several posters here fit that description, and have been described by other posters in such derogatory terms.

What are you saying?... That Timothy McVeigh thought he was doing God's will?

>That Timothy McVeigh thought he was doing God's will?

I have no idea whether he thought that or not. He did bad things and went to his death as a devout christian.

Needless to say, that does not mean that religious US soldiers are going to become murders, any more than the Westboro idiots are going to just because a student went nuts and shot a lot of people.

What are you saying?... That Timothy McVeigh thought he was doing God's will?

Tim McVeigh was quoted as saying he blew up the Federal building in retaliation for what happened to the Branch Davidians at the hands of the Feds.
See any religious connection there ?

bozo

They will continue with this stupidity as long as the media publishes their name, and as long as people post their activities on websites. This will end when we all start ignoring them.

I kinda agree, but kinda disagree after watching the documentary. The old crazy guy in charge didn't want camera's around, didn't want to talk to anyone. Although he did mention eating babies.

Their actions are wrong and they need to be stopped. If I have up my right constitutional right to protest at funerals to stop these people, I gladly will.

J
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Want to see them as a big, well-funded, heavily publicized religious nut organization that pickets every gay funeral?

Or just every funeral at the rate they're going.

But then why stop at funerals? In their ongoing spelunking expedition to the deepest caverns of uncongeniality, just think of all the potential stops they could make. Hospital wards of cancer patients, scenes of auto accidents, etc. Hey! Maybe they could get on Deal or No Deal and when the million dollar case gets opened they can yell, "Serves you right you God-hating fag-lover!" and hold up a sign depicting two stick men having sex while one is grasping at a dollar sign that's just out reach.

It's pretty clear to me their only prerequisite for attendance is that it be in poor taste.