http://www.earthday.org/Footprint/index.asp#

I found this interesting quiz and came out with this:

CATEGORY ACRES
FOOD 5.4
MOBILITY 0.2
SHELTER 4.2
GOODS/SERVICES 4
TOTAL FOOTPRINT 14

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 24 ACRES PER PERSON.

WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 4.5 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE ACRES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 3.1 PLANETS.

Dang, and I thought I was doign all right...

My wife is hotter than your wife.

When you answered the question about air travel; did you include your skydiving?

I'm not exactly sure what it works out to as a world-wide average, but do we wanna call 100 skydives 25 hours of flight time?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

CATEGORY ACRES

FOOD 3.2
MOBILITY 3.2
SHELTER 5.7
GOODS/SERVICES 5.9
TOTAL FOOTPRINT 18

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 24 ACRES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 4.1 PLANETS.

As the explanation says:

The quiz is based on national consumption averages and is meant to give you an idea of your Ecological Footprint relative to other people in the country you live in. It is not highly detailed, but should give most people an idea of where they stand.

If you already live a sustainable lifestyle, do not be discouraged by your results. There are some portions of your Footprint that are not the direct result of your consumption habits.

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

or to put it in another term...
B.S. bullshit
M.S. more shit
PHD piled higher and deeper.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

That quiz is a load of shit.

That's manure - we're being green here.

Yeah, I meant to say, "That's a load of Free Range Organic Fertilizer." Which actually means that it's a really good thing.

But anyway, I put all of my belongings into storage and moved into the wilderness at the beginning of December. Yeah, I get docked for the SUV, but I can't exactly pack my gear into a fickin' Avia for my drive to work every morning. And we need 2.6 earths if everyone were like me.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

That quiz is a load of shit.

That's manure - we're being green here.

Yeah, I meant to say, "That's a load of Free Range Organic Fertilizer." Which actually means that it's a really good thing.

But anyway, I put all of my belongings into storage and moved into the wilderness at the beginning of December. Yeah, I get docked for the SUV, but I can't exactly pack my gear into a fickin' Avia for my drive to work every morning. And we need 2.6 earths if everyone were like me.

That's the sticker on this thing, it's a geographical-ecological footprint...not accurate per se, simply perspective of one sort...

edit to add: I went through and answered in quite a "granola" fashion, I still needed 1.9 planets...
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

CATEGORY GLOBAL HECTARES

FOOD 1.6

MOBILITY 7.1

SHELTER 1.2

GOODS/SERVICES 6.3

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 16.2

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 5.3 GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 1.8 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 9 PLANETS.

In fact I'm sure its much worse than that as the most you can fly in the survey is 100 hours a year. I fly between two and four times a week and have clocked up 100 hours so far this year easily:$
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

13.2 Planets. That is not counting all the fuel I burn in my Ski Boat every season.

The good thing is that I am very active in preaching about saving the planet. Hopefully I can get enough people to change their habits to make up for mine.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

I don't think an urban person can live responsibly according to this. I granola'd as well (<500 sq. ft, no car or motorcycle or flying, local foods, vegan etc) and came up with 1.4 planets. I did have electricity and running water, though.

Which is a pity, because if it's unrealistic, people might discount any effort they make "because it doesn't matter anyway." It does. Sometimes the enemy of better is perfect.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

FOOD 0.4
MOBILITY 0.0
SHELTER 0.1
GOODS/SERVICES 0.1
TOTAL FOOTPRINT 0.1

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 1.0 PLANETS.

All you have to do is move to Mexico, become a vegan who only eats unprocessed, unpackaged and locally grown food while living with seven or more people in a thirty square metres or smaller house without running water or electricity and never travel.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

I don't think an urban person can live responsibly according to this. I granola'd as well (<500 sq. ft, no car or motorcycle or flying, local foods, vegan etc) and came up with 1.4 planets. I did have electricity and running water, though.

Which is a pity, because if it's unrealistic, people might discount any effort they make "because it doesn't matter anyway." It does. Sometimes the enemy of better is perfect.

Wendy W.

Hey my bike gets 45mph if I stay off of the throttle stop.

Not bad for something that will do over 190mph

:PI dont care ..... we've got no kids and the planet will last longer than me (me, me, me!!) and will recover after we as a species have gone the way of so many others.:)

If you want a long term future ..... Learn to Photosynthesise:P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

[url]

Maybe some serious effort should go into improving this. In the western world I'm sure we do much better. Holding us to the standards of Sudan or Chad is hardly relevant.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>I granola'd as well (<500 sq. ft, no car or motorcycle or flying,
>local foods, vegan etc) and came up with 1.4 planets. I did have electricity
>and running water, though.

I ran the test two ways. The first time I was literally honest; came up with 2.6 planets.

Then I adjusted the answers to get at what I think they meant (i.e. I have electricity, but I generate more than I use, so I checked no on that question) and I got 1.0 planets.