mindtrick

Do u beleave in God

>it says: "In god we trust" so the fore fathers of this country were wrong?

The forefathers did not put "in god we trust" on our money, nor did they put "under god" in the pledge. "In god we trust" came about during the Civil War; many people were afraid that the war would destroy the country, and wanted to use religion as a way to attempt to re-unify the country.

"Under god" was added during the Cold War by people who were afraid of the USSR, and wanted to prove the US was more holy than the godless commies.

When I had a low altitude canopy collision (picture in February's Parachutist) and was in line twists with collapsed end cells at 100ft, I was too busy kicking out and flaring to waste time talking to imaginary beings.

good answer - no time to waste praying

For my malfunctions, I also had no time for gratuitous profanity either - which apparently seems prevalent per the posts :S.

I was busy finding my handles/unwrapping the other guys lines from around my shoe/checking altitude/looking at the mess/etc.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

For those of you who don't believe in God who do you turn to when you feel like life's in the crapper or when everyone else has left you? I'm not making fun but a lot of you go around spouting science so is that where you turn? Is science there for you.

If life's in the crapper for me I would turn to my friends and family for understanding and support, but like you said "if everyone else has left you" I would depend on myself.
We die only once, but for such a very long time.

I'll believe in ghosts when I catch one in my teeth.

> For those of you who don't believe in God who do you turn to when you
>feel like life's in the crapper or when everyone else has left you? . . . Is
>science there for you.

Using science for solace is as silly as using the bible to figure out how evolution works.

totally agree w all youve said.

I would like to know if anyone, especially those who doubt god or don't believe could you tell me if you believe in miracles? IF not can you explain what a miracle is and why or how it happens? Lastly, has God ever hurt anyone? If so can you explain?

I do believe but since this thread is red hot I would like to see what others have to share

Thanks all, and what ever works for any of you keep doin that

I don't believe in miracles, just random events, you put enough random events together and eventually something crazy will happen that appears to be a miracle, or just rarely happens. As for has god ever hurt anyone, like the other guy said, since god doesn't exist, no he never has, but if he does exist and the bible is his word, then yes he has, he committed genocide by drowning the entire world, and he slaughterd innocents when he sent his angel of death to kill all the first born sons of Egypt, just my opinion though, and it aint worth much.B|

so its pointless why we are here? no purpose for our existences?

Aren't we intelligent and imaginative enough to create our own purposes?

Edit: Come to think of it, this one confuses me slightly. What is the purpose in life in the christian model? To believe in Jesus, die and go to heaven? In that case isn't this world just killing time before the main event?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

yes, studies have shown this that it does make you healthier and live longer

Being religious, why would you want to live longer? You're just keeping yourself from being in heaven longer, where you could probably skydive 24/7 and not pay a dime. I never understand that whole thing, if I was religous I'd want to die as soon as possible (without committing suicide of course) so I could get my ass to blissful eternity all ready.

i love my fam and friends i want to be here with them and live a healthy just like anyone else. I wish i could go to heaven right now but that won't happen until god decides when, and thats what i believe
don't try your bullshit with me!!!

. What is the purpose in life in the christian model?

Many have committed and written on this but the best I heard was Rick Warren. I remember him when I lived in CA and he had 1000 people in his church. He taught some awesome things. Many years later he is pastoring one of the largest churches in America and made a book from his teachings. Basically it was purpose was found in our S*H*A*P*E*

Spiritual gifts
Heart (passion)
Abilities (skills)
Personality
Experiences (both good & bad)

It does come from a Christian perspective. I believe it is a very good start to discover one's purpose.

steveOrino

God did flood the world. He also promised us He wouldn't do it again.
I will establish My covanent or pledge with you: Never again shall all flesh be cut off by the waters of a flood; neither shall there ever again be a flood to destroy the earth and make it corrupt.
And God said, This is a token of the covenant (solemn pledge) which I am making between Me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all future generations:
I set My bow [rainbow] in the cloud, and it shall be a token or sign of a covanant or solemn pledge between Me and the earth.
And it shall be that when I bring clouds over the earth and the bow [rainbow] is seen in the clouds, I will [earnestly] remember My covanant or solemn pledge which is between Me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters will no more become a flood to destroy and make all flesh corrupt. Genesis 9:11-15

That's a awesome thing He gave us a promise and He hasn't let us down. Like I said God is truth.
Playtime is essential.

>That's a awesome thing He gave us a promise and He hasn't let us down.

In that case -

I hereby promise I will never roast the earth in a giant celestial wok! If I ever let you down, you can claim I'm not omnipotent. Until then . . .

wasn't this country founded upon for religious freedoms?

I beleive in the freedom of religous groups to exist and beleive as they choose.

I beleive they should not be allowed to try and peddle their views in a forceful way on others.

Some simple examples...

gay marriage
abortion
birth control
display of ten commandments
science education
access to health services
stem sell research
sex/violence on tv and in movies
vouchers for religious schools

etc...
They (the releigous) gang up on our politicians and try to force their views into policy. This is typical of a oppressive regime and if they were to ever acheive dominance then we would be in a world like the taliban etc..

this is why we (the non releigious) need to knock and discredit releigions at every oppertunity.

again, i beleive they should be allowed to have their freedoms - but history proovs they cannot keep it to them selves.

Only there is no response but what you look for around you and interpret. The real question is how do you know your actually talking to God and not just wasting time?

One could say the same thing about cursing, but people who don't believe in God do it regularly.

again, i beleive they should be allowed to have their freedoms - but history proovs they cannot keep it to them selves.

Not really, the early Christians never tried to change their governments. In fact they were instructed by the Apostle Paul to obey the government. Christianity did not become a political power until the emporer Constatine had a vision that he could win more battles under the sign of the cross. It has been a downhill slope since. (IMHO)

steveOrino

> For those of you who don't believe in God who do you turn to when you
>feel like life's in the crapper or when everyone else has left you? . . . Is
>science there for you.

Using science for solace is as silly as using the bible to figure out how evolution works.

But science gave us BEER!!! some people use that when life is in the crapper to feel better....

Only there is no response but what you look for around you and interpret. The real question is how do you know your actually talking to God and not just wasting time?

One could say the same thing about cursing, but people who don't believe in God do it regularly.

Whuh?

Has anyone ever claimed that cursing will achieve anything? I'd imagine that cursage levels are fairly evenly weighted across all denominations and beliefs.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Can you not entertain the possibility that the reason he did not save 6 million of his "chosen people " was that hes not there?

How does a supposed myth and animosity toward a given group of people last more than a couple of generations.

One of the smallest nationalities on earth is the most despised.

Someone said that they were God's Chosen People, so others resent them because of it.

Kind of stupid, if you ask me.

what do you mean?

It means that although you believe the entire world was flooded because the Bible says so, that is not proof that that really happened. And if it did not, then a promise not to do something "again" which was never done in the first place is meaningless.

More to the point: just because you accept every story in the Bible as literally true, doesn't mean that others are willing to do so. Therefore, if (as you have done several times now) you make an argument that depends on a presumption that the Bible is literally true, but your audience does not believe that the Bible is literally true, the rest of your argument will fail to persuade your audience.