mindtrick

Do u beleave in God

Uh ... you don't have a really old book which tells about the aliens ... so obviously it didn't happen ....

We are talking about having PROOF, not a book. How having an old book could be considered a proof?

People in the old ages never lied. So, if they wrote it down, and lots of people wrote down the same thing, it must be true.
This ad space for sale.

that is easy to explain - just go ask any college professor in physics and you will find they 'ALL' will basically give you the same answer -

they will give you the same answer because this event does not defy physics..

not to belittle the importance to you that this occured - beleive me - I am so glad your boy was safe - however - I would not consider it a miricle.

this has happened many times to many people - some get the weight distribution just right and are not even injured - others dont and are not so lucky - to varying degrees.

The same thing happened to my dad when he was a child. A car ran over him (with the wheels, not just straddling him). When he screamed out, the driver panicked, stopped the car, threw it in reverse, and backed the wheels over him again. He was uninjured.
That's a true story. Was it divine intervention? Well, that's beyond proof or disproof, of course. But it can be credibly explained using nothing more than principles of physical science.

No see ... back then the sun did revolve around the earth. Sometime around the 1500s God changed it so the earth revolved around the sun ... this was to find out who the true believers were....

No, there is nothing in the Bible about it, so it cannot be true.
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

No see ... back then the sun did revolve around the earth. Sometime around the 1500s God changed it so the earth revolved around the sun ... this was to find out who the true believers were....

Sure it can. You just can't see the light.
This ad space for sale.

As good as the scientific method is you wouldn't use it as proof about philosophy or art.

Sure you can, philosophy is explored in the language of mathematics. You can use science to study art. Here's a paper on the subject:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/p785023120070hh2/

Spirituality and religion cannot be subjugated to the same spere as science.

It is hard to do science on subjective things. That doesn't mean it's impossible though. But the existence of a thing isn't subjective. It either exists or it doesn't.

But spirituality or a religion itself, if there's no objective justification for believing it as you say, then those beliefs are completely arbitrary and as relevant as a persons taste in music. I assume that you think religion is more imortant than the age old Led Zep vs Deep Purple debate.

Now, when you talk of creationism, maybe. Miracles? Not really. The definition of the miracle itself implies it different than the normal occurance.

I disagree, a true miracle would be pretty good evidence for god. But if I am not allowed to analyse miracles scientifically, how would I know it's a miracle and not just an illusion? To disallow skeptical enquiry smacks of dishonesty.

For instance. My wife drove over my son when he was 18 months old with a 1969 (land yacht) Buick. I was told he was killed. He should have been. I saw the sleeper with tire tracks across it. Yet, the boy had ZERO injuries. Nothing, nada, zip. It defied scientific logic. What is the explanation? Science doesn't have one. My faith points to God.

I'm glad your son was OK but why did this unfortunate event point to god saving him instead of god putting him in the way of the car in the first place? Why is this even evidence for god at all and not telekinesis or your son having superpowers? Is it because you already believed in god and not superpowers?

I saw a guy on TV get run over by a 38 ton truck once. He was fine, it was his party trick. I saw one of those Shaolin monks break iron bars over his head, not a mark. Does that defy a scientific explaination?

I do love many people, my family mr firend and my girlfriend. The evidence of my love is in the way I behave with them, the way Itreat them etc
You say 9/11 was a concrete event and spirituality is not like that, are you saying its all in your imagination or is god a real concrete entity? if so there should be evidence of it before we believe in it, where is that evidence?

god - love - both in imagination - or the little voice inside your head.

math, btw, falls in the same categorie - does math exist in the 'real' world? no, it does not. It only lives in the little voices in our heads.

interesting isn't it.

most people won't get the math one... but it's true.

I also see crotchety old scientists claim proof all the time when they've convinced themselves of pet theories. Same thing, they can't live with an uncertainty.

I suppose you never heard of Heisenberg.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

God stopped the Sun for Joshua. It says so in the Bible.

and you can't prove that it didn't

This rationale is juvenile. I found this on the intraweb.

Prove that God doesn't exist, you might demand? The request to prove a negative is a logically faulty one. If something does not in fact exist, then there is nothing in reality which it effects, which means, it leaves no evidence. To prove something is to point to facts of reality. One cannot point to any facts as evidence of the non -existence of something. One cannot step outside of reality and point to all of the things that there aren't. The onus of proof is on he who asserts what is so. A theist has the burden of proof to show that God exists, not the other way around. Unless and until any such evidence is offered, the claim to the existence of a God is merely an arbitrary claim, bearing no relationship to the realm of cognition, being neither true nor false.

To answer the OP's question. Yes, I believe in a God. It seems like an arbitrary choice since there is no proof of any of them, so I chose the coolest one. Zeus. He bangs a lot of hot chicks and throws lightning, what else could you want in a god?
2 BITS....4 BITS....6 BITS....A DOLLAR!....ALL FOR THE GATORS....STAND UP AND HOLLER!!!!

science and religion are two sides of the same coin-truth-----WHAT THE BLEEP

Toltec Prayer for Freedom

Today, Creator of the Universe, we ask that you come to us and share with us a strong communion of love. We know that your real(and only) name is Love, that to have a communion with you means to share the same vibration, the same frequency that you are, because you are the only thing that exists in the universe.
Today, help us to be like you are, to love life, to be life, to be love. Help us to love the way you love, WITH NO CONDITIONS, no expectations, no obligations, without any judgement, because when we judge ourselves, we find ourselves guilty and we need to be punished.
Help us to love everything you create unconditionally, especially other human beings, especially those who live around us-- all our relatives and people whom we try so hard to love. Because when we reject them, we reject ourselves, and when we reject ourselves, we reject You.
Help us to love others just the way they are with no conditions. Help us to accept them the way they are, without judgement, because if we judge them, we find them guilty, we blame them, and we have need to punish them.
Today, clean our hearts of any emotional poison that we have, free our minds from any judgement so that we can live in complete peace and complete love.
Today is a very special day. Today we open our hearts to love again so that we can tell each other " I love you" without any fear, and really mean it. Today, we offer ourselves to you. Come to us, use our voices, use our eyes, use our hands, and use our hearts to share in a communion of love with everyone. Today, Creator, help us to be just like you are. Thank you for everything that we recieve this day, especially for the freedom to be who we really are.

the four agreements miguel ruiz
we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively

wishers never choose, choosers never wish

>The evidence of my love is in the way I behave with them, the way Itreat them etc

But WHERE IS IT? Can you test for it? If you weigh a room with love in it, then remove the love, does it get lighter? If you pass a beam of light between two people who love each other, is it refracted by the love? Is it a real concrete entity, or is it all in your imagination?

You say it's the way you behave with them. But I could get an actor who hates their guts to do exactly the same things you do, so it's not behavior. So where's the concrete evidence that it really exists?

>The evidence of my love is in the way I behave with them, the way Itreat them etc

But WHERE IS IT? Can you test for it? If you weigh a room with love in it, then remove the love, does it get lighter? If you pass a beam of light between two people who love each other, is it refracted by the love? Is it a real concrete entity, or is it all in your imagination?

You say it's the way you behave with them. But I could get an actor who hates their guts to do exactly the same things you do, so it's not behavior. So where's the concrete evidence that it really exists?

Brain imaging is getting better and better each year at detecting neural activity, including emotional activity. In principle, at least, emotions are not unmeasurable.

Perhaps neural activity corresponding to "God" will be discovered.

and you can't prove that it didn't

This rationale is juvenile. I found this on the intraweb.

I didn't write that quoted text..

I realize that. Shortyj wrote it, not you, I simply hit reply on the wrong post. My bad.
2 BITS....4 BITS....6 BITS....A DOLLAR!....ALL FOR THE GATORS....STAND UP AND HOLLER!!!!

I assume that you think religion is more important than the age old Led Zep vs Deep Purple debate.

Don't be fucking stupid:S

Nothing's more important than Purple vs Zep!!!
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

The question was "Do you believe in God?" Some said yes, some said no, some even had fun with it, but it didn't take long before an atheist insults a christian for their belief.

Well the first person with an affirmitive reply was you with post No 10, in which you quoted Seinfeld. the second postive reply came from post No 18 which was followed by Beowulf saying God was "imaginary".

Now, honestly, how can an atheist profess his/her belief without either implying or specifically saying that Gods are imaginary?

When I say I am an atheist I am by definition saying that I think your belief is wrong and basically made up. When you say you are a christian you are by definition saying that my belief is wrong and naive.

There is no way around that, so I don't see why one person saying "That is imaginary" is any more or less offensive than someone saying "This God exists".
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I guess your own personality dictates how you respond. I'm thinking an atheist could respond, "No, I don't believe in God." Rather they chose condescension. It would be the same if a Christian responded to an atheist, "You're gonna burn in hell for eternity." Do some respond that way? Sure, but that type of response indicates to me they purchased the "Jesus, get me outta hell free card" rather than becoming a disciple that follow his teachings.

steveOrino

I guess your own personality dictates how you respond. I'm thinking an atheist could respond, "No, I don't believe in God." Rather they chose condescension. It would be the same if a Christian responded to an atheist, "You're gonna burn in hell for eternity." Do some respond that way? Sure, but that type of response indicates to me they purchased the "Jesus, get me outta hell free card" rather than becoming a disciple that follow his teachings.

Steve, you're one of this atheist's favorite Christians. Take that for what it's worth.

As with most silly arguments, people impose upon their opponents a lot of characteristics that just aren't true. Surprise, surprise, not every theist is riding around on a horse eviscerating unbelievers with a sword, just like not every atheist is out raping children because, "he or she doesn't have the proper fear for the wrath of the lord." It gives me a good laugh following it sometimes.

I think the comparison to love is an excellent one. Love, because the subject is tangible, is more accessible to skeptically minded people (Only half the equation is in your head, instead of all of it.) But when theists use the, "have you ever been in love?" defense to counter the "prove god exists" offense, they should realize just how personal a thing like love is, and that it might not be quite the argument they had in mind. Just like your love of anything, your faith in something doesn't really mean anything to 3rd parties.

To further the similarities, people do some crazy shit under the influence of love. Love brings out the best in some people, and the worst in others. But love tends to operate on a shorter wavelength than faith. People often come down off of love and see their actions for what they were, we could only be so lucky in many instances of faith (or lack thereof.) Instead, we just have to hope it brings out the best more often than it brings out the worst, and control that to the best of our abilities in ourselves.