Buried

If cocaine...

I've never touched an illicit drug. Just my choice. I don't mind if others do. I just know I'm addictive - I'd like them too much.

I think I know what you mean. I smoked for 17 years. It was so hard to quit. Was unsuccessful the first couple of times I tried. Third time was a charm! I could probably get hooked again if I had a cigarette, so I don't chance it.
Blue skies & happy jitters ~Mockingbird
"Why is there something rather than nothing?"

>The main difference is that one is a legal depressant and the other is an illegal stimulant.

Leaving the legality issue aside, I think there is a difference between a substance that our bodies use as a food (and one that has health benefits when used in moderate amounts) and one that is treated as a toxin to be flushed. Equating them doesn't make much sense. Water will kill you if you drink too much, and too much nitrogen will make you lightheaded and dizzy. I don't think anyone considers them drugs though.

To me, there's a continuum of "drugness" to things we ingest/smoke, based on how well our body handles them and the potency of their effects. From non-drug to drug it might look something like this:

Processed sugar
Wheatgrass
Caffeine
Alcohol
Tobacco
Marijuana
Cocaine
Heroin

Insert other drugs as desired.

Equating them doesn't make much sense.

I'm not equating them.

Water will kill you if you drink too much, and too much nitrogen will make you lightheaded and dizzy. I don't think anyone considers them drugs though.

And I don't think many lives are being destroyed by addiction to water.

What makes you think that you're susceptible to addiction, since it sounds like you have no trouble controlling your alcohol consumption?

between alcohol, tobacco, adrenaline, etc., I have been addicted to all of them. I have managed to quit all of the above. Alcohol and adrenaline are the only ones in which I partake, and limit it extremely.

And from those to whom I have spoken, unlike alcohol and tobacco, which are both nice, cocaine just blows your fucking mind! Meth? That, too. Heroin? Damn. No way to even try it.

I miss adrenaline. I miss tobacco. I don't miss the feelings of alcohol. Now, I just like the taste of beer.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Find someone coming off of a coke binge versus a person coming off of an alcohol binge.

They'll both be extremely miserable. Which one is worse is highly subjective.

Binging on either one will cause brain damage and other physical problems. They're different drugs, but they're both pretty dangerous when used in excess.

Alcohol is self-limiting, for the most part. Drink too much and you'll pass out, where you can drink no more.

Cocaine does not have this limiting factor. Nor does meth. It keeps you up to take more until, well, you run out or OD.

Studies of cocaine show that the stuff is so good, mice, monkeys and humans will do nothing more than try to get more. They will starve to death if forced to choose between food and cocaine.

Alcohol does not have this effect. Alcohol cause problems, though cocaine is more insidious, in my opinion.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

With coke, it's just the opposite. The vast majority experienced significant problems with money, relationships, employment and emotional stability. With crack or freebasing, it's 100%.

I would say its the other way around, the vast "majority" dont experience problems, but there is a"minority that do"

Ahhh, that river in Africa. Such a sweet journey ..till you reach the end of the ride. ;)
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

To me, there's a continuum of "drugness" to things we ingest/smoke, based on how well our body handles them and the potency of their effects. From non-drug to drug it might look something like this:

Processed sugar
Wheatgrass
Caffeine
Alcohol
Tobacco
Marijuana
Cocaine
Heroin

Insert other drugs as desired.

Actually our body handles marijuana (processed by the brain) better than alcohol (processed by the liver).

Edit: There are also more deaths from caffeine overdose per year than marijuana.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

I would say its the other way around, the vast "majority" dont experience problems, but there is a"minority that do"

I think you are very sadly mistaken. If you take a group of, say, college age students and expose them to either alcohol or cocaine, after one year you may be correct, most would not have a problem. If you look ten years down the road and just look at those who still partake, most of the cocaine users would be in serious trouble whereas the alcohol users would fit into the 10-20% problem drinkers/addicts that have been well documented.
I took cocaine now and then around twenty-five years ago. I cannot think of one friend from that part of my life who still recreationally uses coke. I can think of a few who are completely fucked up, a couple who are dead, several who have rebuilt their lives to varying degrees after burning it down, and the huge majority who, like me, saw the trap and backed away. When I look at my friends who ruined their lives on coke and compare them to myself I know what the difference between us was; luck. I was not smarter, nor did I possess greater inner strength or fortitude; I just didn't didn't spring the trap.
It's a trap my friend. Back away ten paces, and then turn and never look back

I'd say that the cost of each helps to determine the problems.

It costs a whole lot less to be addicted to alcohol than addicted to cocaine. Which means a much more ruinous lifestyle for most people. If you don't have to go into the gutter to use regularly, then it's not seen as "ruining your life" nearly as much.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

If you take a group of, say, college age students and expose them to either alcohol or cocaine, after one year you may be correct, most would not have a problem. If you look ten years down the road and just look at those who still partake, most of the cocaine users would be in serious trouble whereas the alcohol users would fit into the 10-20% problem drinkers/addicts that have been well documented.

Are you getting this information about cocaine from some sort of longitudinal study, or are you basing it on your personal (subjective) experience?

BUT guess what?! This Sunday will be my last day as a smoker 'cause it's MY time to quit.

Why wait till Sunday?

It seems hard enough for people to stop without putting it off till 2 days after tomorrow.

Good question...but it is part of a plan. The plan is to pick a day and think about it for a couple of weeks, then do it. I've been building up for almost two weeks now and can't wait, but I have to stick to my plan.

Thank God the weather this weekend is going to be good for jumpin in Denver...cause my last day as a smoker is going to go like this...JUMP, LAND, PACK over and over until sunset. At that time, I will drink several beers and smoke my last ciggies with my support group...whom I will rely upon for inspiration during tough times.

I can use all the good vibes I can get!!!
I don't want to make all the decisions because if I screw up, then I can't blame it on you...

I wouldn't use. Not even once. Back in the day when I experimented I had been educated to the effects of cocaine so I wouldn't touch it.

I did dabble in meth and lsd. Had I known the effects they would have on me, I wouldn't have even considered it. Had I not been in denial about the long term effects of MJ, I would have never went there either.

Tobacco is a different story because I was fully educated about its use but that's only because when you have a job that can kill you at any moment you tend to not worry about what your health might be like in 30-40 years.

Anyhow, legal or not, we should take every opportunity to educate our children with the truth. Not the propogandic bullshit that our government likes to feed us.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

Damn chemicals have destroyed enough lives and ruined families>:( I hate the sh*t!!!>:(

Couldn't have said it better myself! I have no desire to be around anyone that is partaking. >:(

Exactly. Your opinion on drugs changes once you see the impact on the lives of the people you love.

Yes, you do and my personal opinion is based solely on the impact it had on my marriage & family. I am lucky that his love for me and the kids was stronger than his need for that evil shit. He also knows that if he is so much as in the same room with it, knowingly, I'm outta here............ period - no discussion to be had.
Next time a sunrise steals your breath or a meadow of flowers leaves you speechless, remain that way. Say nothing and listen as heaven whispers, "Do you like it? I did it just for you."

Good question...but it is part of a plan. The plan is to pick a day and think about it for a couple of weeks, then do it. I've been building up for almost two weeks now and can't wait, but I have to stick to my plan.

Thank God the weather this weekend is going to be good for jumpin in Denver...cause my last day as a smoker is going to go like this...JUMP, LAND, PACK over and over until sunset. At that time, I will drink several beers and smoke my last ciggies with my support group...whom I will rely upon for inspiration during tough times.

I can use all the good vibes I can get!!!

That's how I did it too, fallinbear. I picked a date just like you. I actually started looking forward to it to see how... well, just to watch it unfold. I had a small support group, too, and that helped. Mind if I PM you-- I have a tiny sliver of advice that you possibly haven't thought of. You go, man!!! WoooHOOOO! Freedom; it's a wonderful thing!
Blue skies & happy jitters ~Mockingbird
"Why is there something rather than nothing?"

She dont lie, she dont lie, she dont lie; cocaine.

I really hate that song, because all cocaine does is lie. It's the most insidious kind of drug because it sucks people in with a very pleasant and seemingly mild high. "Nothing wrong with that", except twenty minutes later they want more and it never ends. I've seen it turn way too many people into complete assholes.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !