Buried

If cocaine...

Legality is the least of the problems with cocaine use.

I agree, I reckon price is the biggest problem...

depends on whether you have a decent job or not.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I bet your quite happy to have a beer though, maybe next time you chug a cold one, spare a moments thought for the 105,000 Americans who die annually from alcohol-related causes, or the 365,000 tobacco-related deaths each year in the US.

I saw those numbers reported by ABC News a few years ago, and there was a third number they reported: 5,000 -- The annual deaths from all illegal drugs combined.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

So my answer is probably No. The legality of drugs makes no difference though I dont think to those who are disposed to taking them.

Maybe more people would try drugs if they were made legal....but, people who are afraid of drugs / have a stand against them have already made there decision and would never ever use them anyway.

But the ironic thing is all the people who proudly claim they have never used drugs, while being drinkers and/or smokers. In my mis-spent youth I tried a lot of recreational chemicals. There was one drug which stood out from the rest in it's ability to incapacitate a person, and to cause unpredictable, violent behaviour. It also often made a person sick the next day. That drug was alcohol.

The most eye-opening thing I learned during this period was that what the govt and society call "hard drugs" in fact have milder effects than alcohol.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Absolutely...

NOT!!!!!!!

Ruins lives. Dope sucks.

Thats a pretty closed minded statement.....

So do you believe that if you have one line of cocaine, or a spliff then you will ruin your life???
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

Why not?

I posted this a while ago in a similair thread about this issues and think it answers your question,

"think its quite a bold/sweeping statement to say that you not missing out on anything by not trying something… don’t get me wrong I’m not saying everyone should go out and take some sort of illegal substance, but from my experience there have been moments that I will remember forever, that I would have missed out on if I/we were not UTI.

I recall a particular time when I was with a group of my dearest friends, and we were on a small island in Thailand, we all tried some shrooms and spend the entire day, and actually most of the night on this beautiful little beach where we were staying having the most bizarre conversations and experiences… no whilst some would argue that we would have had a great time anyway if we hadn’t have had the shrooms, I agree, but this was a different kind of time, not something that we had experienced before, and actually have never done since. But certainly something I’m glad I did and was apart of...

However I also remember many years ago, I was at a party with some friends, and somehow we had gotten hold of some mescaline (the major active component of the small dumpling cactus known as Peyote.) To start with everything was great… however after the party had finished and we had all left, we were all still spun out on the stuff, and were pretty much incapacitated for 2 days, which was not a pleasant sensation. Needless to say I’ve never tried it since, and will never try it again. However when I look back on this, I have no regrets at all that I did it, im almost glad in a way that I had the experience, although not the best time but certainly something I would have missed out on.

The way I look at it is that society leads people to assume that illegal drugs are bad, and that they lead to addiction to crime to suffering. Now whilst this can be the case, although most people happily gloss over the issue of fags and booze, because it’s convenient and not deemed illegal, and most people enjoy them. If you are responsible then what is the problem with the type of high that you choose. I am concerned here about the difference between an act of choice (consumption of a psychoactive substance) and an act of endangerment (putting others at risk by operating equipment while impaired or skydiving while impaired). If an act doesn't endanger others, what right have we to make it a criminal act? "
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

>But still the fact of the matter is, alcohol kills many more people and cost
>the government much more then coke, who care if we can “metabolise” it,
>that is somewhat a moot point when you look at the statistics. So why is
>not illegal?

And refined sugar/trans fats kill even more people than that. (And refined sugar has quite a mood-altering effect when taken in large amounts.) But we figure that people, rather than the government, should make that choice.

>I just find it rather ironic that people are quick to condemn “drug” use
>but are quite happy to consume a skin full of beer on a Friday night….
>And laugh about it . . .

I think alcohol is a bit different from cocaine. Treating them the same for the purposes of legalization is a little silly. It's like claiming that if nuclear weapons are illegal to own, handguns should be too. (After all, they're both "weapons!")

I think alcohol is a bit different from cocaine. Treating them the same for the purposes of legalization is a little silly. It's like claiming that if nuclear weapons are illegal to own, handguns should be too.

Alcohol and cocaine can both be used in moderation, but they both have the potential to be addictive. The main difference is that one is a legal depressant and the other is an illegal stimulant. They are both mood-altering drugs, different effects but similar potencies. Saying that cocaine is to alcohol as nuclear weapons are to handguns doesn't seem like a very accurate analogy to me.

I'll never take coke or marijuana, so we'll never find out, will we?

Just curious... Do you use alcohol?

I drink alcohol - never more than two drinks. I've got too much to lose to risk the issues of more than that.

I've never touched an illicit drug. Just my choice. I don't mind if others do. I just know I'm addictive - I'd like them too much. Then, I'd become a junkie. I know it.

It's why I stay off - I am a walking "worst case scenario."

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I think alcohol is a bit different from cocaine. Treating them the same for the purposes of legalization is a little silly. It's like claiming that if nuclear weapons are illegal to own, handguns should be too.

Alcohol and cocaine can both be used in moderation, but they both have the potential to be addictive. The main difference is that one is a legal depressant and the other is an illegal stimulant. They are both mood-altering drugs, different effects but similar potencies. Saying that cocaine is to alcohol as nuclear weapons are to handguns doesn't seem like a very accurate analogy to me.

There IS a difference betwee cocaine and alcohol. Trying to make them equivalent strains credulity. They are both psychoactive drugs. One a stimulant, one a depressant.

Cocaine releases large amounts of electrotransmitters, creating a shortage when the high wwears down. Find someone coming off of a coke binge versus a person coming off of an alcohol binge. There is a HUGE difference in the short-term and long-term effects.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I don't have much personal experience with either drug. Over the years, I've seen lives ruined by both. With alcohol, however, I've observed most users to live seemingly good lives with a few developing problems.

With coke, it's just the opposite. The vast majority experienced significant problems with money, relationships, employment and emotional stability. With crack or freebasing, it's 100%.

I won't use coke and don't want to be around anyone who does.

Alcohol? I don't drink but don't mind being around those who use moderately. I have, however, heard just about every thing drunks have to say and don't care much for more of the same.

Pot? Smoke em if you got em. :)
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

I drink alcohol - never more than two drinks. I've got too much to lose to risk the issues of more than that.

I've never touched an illicit drug. Just my choice. I don't mind if others do. I just know I'm addictive - I'd like them too much. Then, I'd become a junkie. I know it.

It's why I stay off - I am a walking "worst case scenario."

That's good that you choose not to use illicit drugs. I agree that it's not worth the risk.

But I'm curious... What makes you think that you're susceptible to addiction, since it sounds like you have no trouble controlling your alcohol consumption?

It is beyond ironic that any skydiver judges another for being reckless. Skydiving, drugs (including alcohol) are all choices that upon making can /will destroy your life, or kill you. Yet because Nancy said no, skydiving and alcohol are OK and a randomly defined set of chemicals is bad. And BASE becomes illegal without killing 1 innocent person. Why?

http://www.brooklyngraphic.com/site/tab6.cfm?newsid=17829722&BRD=2384&PAG=461&dept_id=552852&rfi=6

Cocaine releases large amounts of electrotransmitters, creating a shortage when the high wwears down. Find someone coming off of a coke binge versus a person coming off of an alcohol binge. There is a HUGE difference in the short-term and long-term effects.

Well speaking from experience, there really is very little difference, the main thing to note is that when you take cocaine your ability to concsume alcohol increase, and that and the fact you are awake longer means you end up drinking more. Therefore your hangover is worse then just a night on the booze.

Apart from that there are no other noticable differences.

With coke, it's just the opposite. The vast majority experienced significant problems with money, relationships, employment and emotional stability. With crack or freebasing, it's 100%.

I would say its the other way around, the vast "majority" dont experience problems, but there is a"minority that do"

Find someone coming off of a coke binge versus a person coming off of an alcohol binge.

They'll both be extremely miserable. Which one is worse is highly subjective.

Binging on either one will cause brain damage and other physical problems. They're different drugs, but they're both pretty dangerous when used in excess.

Yeah, I kinda thought that's what you meant. Hee hee.

Let's see, do I ever drink alcohol? Yes. The last time I had any was the middle of January when I took a sip of my brother's margarita. It was very good. The time before that was a margarita at Saltgrass Steakhouse. It was crummy. I didn't even finish it. The time before that was last summer; I had one of those Seagram's Coolers. :o ;)

I have to admit that I have issues with alcohol "use." My big brother drowned under the influence. People say and do stupid things when they're drunk, the worst being getting behind the wheel of a car. Some can drink and not get carried away; that's fine. I just don't want them endangering others.
Blue skies & happy jitters ~Mockingbird
"Why is there something rather than nothing?"