jlmiracle

Tantrum gets family kicked off plane

WORCESTER, MA -- One little girl's behavior caused her entire family to get kicked off a plane.

The kulesza family boarded an Airtran flight last week when their 3-year old daughter, Elly, refused to take her seat before takeoff. FAA rules state that children age two and older must have their own seat and be wearing a seatbelt during takeoff.

Says the flight was already delayed 15 minutes and in fairness to the other 112 passengers on the plane the crew made an operational decision to remove the family.

"We're humiliated, humiliated. Being asked to be removed from a plane because of a three year old. Humiliated," says Julie Kulesza, the child's mother.

The couple refused Airtran's offer of 3 free-round trip tickets and say they will never fly the airline again.

This is the results of the poll taken on WREG.com's website

I agree, the airline had no right to kick the family off the plane. 15%

I disagree, the family should be able to control their child. 85%

What do you all think? IMO, I agree with the Airline. You can't hold up an airplane with 100+ people for a 3yr old.

J
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Ditto - Julie isn't big enough and strong enough to sit her child down and seatbelt her?????

she should be humiliated because of her own actions, not claiming the airline had anything to do with her humiliation

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I agree with the airline on this one, they had every right to do what they did.

Ya know, I had to bite my toungue to not make a Hillary joke on this one, it would've been so easy;)
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Is No one going to defend these poor people?

If it was O.K for Shirley Temple wondering around an airliner singing 'On a Good Shop Lolly pop'... You heartless bastards:P

Maybe the air marshall should have stopped hiding in the bog and shot them little darling.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

The parents are an example of the need in this world to keep some people from breeding..

stupid fucks~

my kid would get put in the seat and buckled in whether he wanted to or not (he is 4).... and he knows that tantrums have an unpleasant consequence...

call me an asshole if ya like, but I am the parent

they dont like being embarrassed.. they are spineless idiots.... and need to put the doctor spock book in the trash

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

seen discussions on it, got my opinion, dont care what others think, my kid is not allowed to be out of controll in public... period

the kids these days are out of controll because of spineless parents...

this is a perfect example..

gotta have a license to have a dog, but anybody can breed....

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

seen discussions on it, got my opinion, dont care what others think, my kid is not allowed to be out of controll in public... period

the kids these days are out of controll because of spineless parents...

this is a perfect example..

gotta have a license to have a dog, but anybody can breed....

Roy

I agree wholeheartedly. A quick trip to the bathroom and a good ass beating IMHO. But then ya gotta worry about getting your ass arrested nowadays[:/]
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

See spanking children thread;)

exactly what i was thinking... this is the direct result of the 'no spanking', 'zero discipline' approach some advocate..

I cant recall much about being 3, but i can recall at 7 that it generally only took 'the look' (from my mother, 'the frown' from my father was/is worse) to quiet my younger sister..

a few more minutes?? sorry my time is worth more than that, control your brat by the time everyone has boarded or get the fuck off..... but then i'm an advocate for muzzles for small children on planes too.. amazing the number of parents who fly with children without even looking up the term "Valsalva" should be required reading for anyone flying with an small child...

FAA Regs. No sit/No fly. If the parents cannot comply (they are responsible for the child's compliance), they must be removed. Not the fault of the airline.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Kids and their parents these days. It's regoddamndiculous.

Whatever happened to giving your kid red ass cheeks when they missbehave? I'm not talking about beating your kids, just letting them know that you were there, and you're the boss.

These are the same parents that raise these pussy kids that are afraid to do anything awesome.

If you love your kids, let them break a bone, or skin up their face, or get dirty, or lose the fucking baseball game.

Whatever happened to trying to ride your bicycle off the roof into the pool. And forget helmets and kneepads. Christ!

Rant over. :P

.jim
"Don't touch my fucking Easter eggs, I'll be back monday." ~JTFC

Kids and their parents these days. It's regoddamndiculous.

Whatever happened to giving your kid red ass cheeks when they missbehave? I'm not talking about beating your kids, just letting them know that you were there, and you're the boss.

These are the same parents that raise these pussy kids that are afraid to do anything awesome.

If you love your kids, let them break a bone, or skin up their face, or get dirty, or lose the fucking baseball game.

Whatever happened to trying to ride your bicycle off the roof into the pool. And forget helmets and kneepads. Christ!

Rant over. :P

.jim

Ah. The good ole days. I remember I did a dive off the second story porch into an above ground pool at 10. What fun:)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

"The couple refused Airtran's offer of 3 free-round trip tickets and say they will never fly the airline again."

Thank God....Airtran flights will be much more appealing now. I would like to know which airline they are transferring to so I can avoid that one.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Is No one going to defend these poor people?

Ok, I'll give it a go. :P

There's another story about it here with video of parents/child talking about the incident:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16773655/

One thing that strikes me about the story is this. They say the flight was delayed 15 minutes. But, they don't explicitly say it was delayed 15 minutes because of the child.

"The flight was already delayed 15 minutes and in fairness to the other 112 passengers on the plane, the crew made an operational decision to remove the family," AirTran spokeswoman Judy Graham-Weaver said.

It seems possible to me that the flight was delayed for other reasons, then when the child wouldn't get in the seat, the crew quickly decided to boot them.

"We weren't given an opportunity to hold her, console her or anything," Julie Kulesza said in a telephone interview Tuesday.

How much time were they really given to get the child seated? How much time should any parent be given to seat their child? In this case, the child was throwing a fit and did have time to climb under the seat.

She was removed because "she was climbing under the seat and hitting the parents and wouldn't get in her seat" during boarding, Graham-Weaver said.

To me, though, that doesn't prove the kid was freaking out for an unreasonable long time. Personally, I would have liked to see the incident for myself. I'm not convinced what the crew did was right or wrong.

--Head
--
Turn off the internet! Join Citizens United Negating Technology For Life And People's Safety!

http://www.citizensunitednegatingtechnology.org/

Ths sad irony of this is I have a beautiful English labrador who is cleaner, quieter, and better behaved, and she would have to be confined to a cage in the cargo hold. [:/];)

it's a good thing, it give CrW dawgs some company

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants