everymansaved

Passport to get into US

Now I know I'm going to probably get flamed for this, but I don't care, I'm so angry. As you may or may not know, as of today, anyone entering the US via air needs a passport. So Even though my wife and I have left lots of time to get them, she went down to the passport office today to submit our applications, and there were 400 people in line when the office opened. Wait times are 15-30 business days, which means that even if she were to get them submitted today, they would arrive just one day before our flight. This is ridiculous!! I'm so upset with the US government right now, part of me doesn't even want to go anymore, just so I can forego putting the money into their economy. So now our airmiles are booked, and we can't cancel them, and should the passports be even one day late, we would not be able to fly. We might have to make the 24 hour drive down, which cuts 2 days off our already short vacation, because as everyone knows, "terrorists" are all idiots, who won't figure out that you can still drive across the border with a driver's license. Grrrrrr...>:( End Rant.
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

That's a rough spot all right. Good luck. Not sure why you think you'd get flamed for grumbling about this. Other than you didn't mention the whole Clinton/BJ thing as required.

However, I still don't understand why people just don't all have a passport, even if they don't plan to travel, they might have to someday. I have to renew mine this year.

(The tiny country people on here who call themselves 'world travelers' - due to travel amongst 7 countries that all fit in the space of Alberta - won't get it at all why you don't already have a passport.)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

***However, I still don't understand why people just don't all have a passport, even if they don't plan to travel, they might have to someday. I have to renew mine this year

(The tiny country people on here who call themselves 'world travelers' - due to travel amongst 7 countries that all fit in the space of Alberta - won't get it at all why you don't already have a passport.)

In reality it is not that big of an administrative hassle just to keep an updated pasport in case it is needed anyway, so this law shouldn't place an unreasonable burden on travelers.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Well I to have my finger prints, iris scan, DNA profile, turban contents and god knows what else put into an FBI data base, just for daring to set foot on US soil. You wont catch me within 1000 miles of the place on general fucking principle. Nosey bastards.

I'm not sure why this such a biggie, other than you were not prepared. It was said (I believe in 2004) that this was going to happen. I have traveled abroad, and I'm required to show a passport to get into other countries. I certainly don't get all bent out of shape over it. Am I missing something?

steveOrino

30 days is not plenty of time, especially when its been said that due to these requirements there WILL be longer wait times. It has been known for years of the pending passport requirement.

You can't blame anybody but yourself for waiting so long to get a passport.
This ad space for sale.

Dont you love it.. hell cops are asking for fucking birth certificates now in some cases as proof of identity.

I had one just last month ask me where I was employed:S

I said it was none of his business, he went back to his car and was on the laptop and radio for over 15 minutes.

I wonder why they feel the right to collect intel on a person for no reason whatsoever?

I mean WTF? do they think they are the NSA or FBI?

BTW I did get the ticket dismissed, and the cop had the nerve to get up and approach the bench as the Judge was dismissing the case.

He approached and the Judge asked him if she had asked him to, his reply:

"No your honor, but will the court wait a few more minutes to see if the witness will show up?"

The Judges response: "No, now go sit down or I will find you in contempt!":D

Well, you know you can go to most post offices to fill out your passport application and send it in from there, you can also send it expedited (costs like 160 bucks I think for expedited processing) and it is supposed to get to you no later than 2 weeks. Just thought you might want to know that.
We die only once, but for such a very long time.

I'll believe in ghosts when I catch one in my teeth.

I have visited in Canada a number of times. Last time was in 05 and I about didn't get back into the US. The guard was insisting that I show a passport (which I didn't have at the time) but I had always just shown my driver's license to get back in. The problem has come up due to the issuance and false driver's licenses by illegal aliens.

pain in the backside, but I now have a passport.

When I got my passport a few years ago, I remember there being a payment option for a faster turn around, something like less than two calender weeks. I remember looking at other services that promised 24 hours if you were willing to give them $150 or something like that. I think I ended up paying an extra $60 to give myself enough cushion before a trip that sort of rushed up on me because of the dates for the visa I needed.

I sorry you're upset but this is not news and the deadline was extended.

Sorry if this sounds cold but unless this trip is a surprise you should have applied for passports when you first started thinking about this trip.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Do they treat you Canucs like common criminals as well or do you get treated like Americans?

Please explain how requiring a passport from Canadians to enter our country treating them like criminals?

If I come to your country, do I have to show my passport to enter? Don't answer that. I already know the answer.
This ad space for sale.

Please explain how requiring a passport from Canadians to enter our country treating them like criminals?

Not only Canadians, Americans are required to have a passport to get back in the US as well.

Well of course. It's not that hard to make a fake driver's license. How is this treating them like criminals?
This ad space for sale.