Andy9o8

Pizza restaurant accepts Mexican pesos; gets death threats

Is it OK with you that this restaurant accepts pesos?

http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_a/pizza-chain-under-fire-for-accepting/20070111145309990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

***Pizza Chain Under Fire for Accepting Pesos
By JEFF CARLTON
AP
DALLAS (Jan. 11) - A pizza chain has been hit with death threats and hate mail after offering to accept Mexican pesos, becoming another flashpoint in the nation's debate over immigrants.

http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_a/pizza-chain-under-fire-for-accepting/20070111145309990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

By JEFF CARLTON
AP
DALLAS (Jan. 11) - A pizza chain has been hit with death threats and hate mail after offering to accept Mexican pesos, becoming another flashpoint in the nation's debate over immigrants.

WTF is the deal? Lots of places in Canada accept US dollars, and quite a few on the US side of the border accept canadian $... Quite silly really...
Remster

They can do whatever they want with 'their' business. I think it's smart to accept other currency as long as you can avoid counterfit and deal with the currency exchange rates and fees.

I'd even go so far to say that if they hadn't gotten death threats, it would be smart to generate publicity by at least claiming some sort of conflict as a result.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I'd even go so far to say that if they hadn't gotten death threats, it would be smart to generate publicity by at least claiming some sort of conflict as a result.

Not sure I'd go to a pizza place with violent threats made against it, not when there are 10,000 other ones to go to instead.

By JEFF CARLTON
AP

"Nehmen das geld", Henny Youngman

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

It is thier business. They can accept what ever currency they want.

Honestly, I think its purely a publicity stunt. I come in contact with a large number of illegals on a day to day basis. None of them, that I have found, have had any pesos on them. They all have had a large amount of US currency, though (since its reasonably hard to get a bank account without a SSN in the US).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Not sure I'd go to a pizza place with violent threats made against it, not when there are 10,000 other ones to go to instead.

"Death to the pizza place"

I think business would increase just because of the sympathy and the publicity.

I actually thinks it's just a very smart PR stunt. Good for them.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Pizza Chain Under Fire for Accepting Pesos
By JEFF CARLTON
AP

Edited to add - Not directed at one in particular, just a general response.

For those that voted NO I'd like to say thank you for always exchanging your US $ into foreign currency before visiting a foreign country. Of course if you voted NO and you've ever tried to spend your US $ in another country that would make you a hypocrite and that would be bad.

I am always amazed at how many people try to spend US $ at Canadian stores, some quite distant from the border. Not saying that anyone who posts here does it. Of course I will admit to loving the ability to use CDN $ at par to ski in Whitefish, MO when they run a special, and I hear that TK Hayes sometimes runs a special where a $20 Canadian bill will buy a Canadian a jump in Zhills, thank goodness his roots are still Canadian.

So here's a question for those that voted NO, what about businesses in the USA that accept CDN $? Is that Okay?

Edit to add: Damn its been over 3 hours since I posted this, the number of NO votes has gone up and none of those people have responded to my question. I rarely post in SC... I feel so unwelcome:P
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

I don't much care if, he accepts Dubloons, silver ingots or buffalo hides. It's his pizza, his business and if he wants to trade a pizza for old hub-caps... what difference does it make? It's his business. After all, doesn't this country preach 'free enterprise? He's just trying to make a living.

Chuck

Would you be offended if you went to, oh say Amsterdamn and they wouldn't accept USD, but insisted on Euros? $$$ $$$, who cares? I think anyone who would let this bother them is quite shallow. I think we need to be concerned about Iran and North Korea, and Wyatt Earp proposing to send 20,000 more troops into Iraq right now instead of freaking pecos.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

Quite alot of shops here in the South East of England accept Euros, I don't see the problem. In fact thinking about it, when I used to go to the truck stop they advertised all in Euros and had to convert it to GBP which was always pleasantly surprising as it seemed the food was cheaper than we thought :D

A few weeks ago in Miami Airport the guy working behind the desk at one of the Foreign Exchange booths was talking to the girl in front of me about the £ sterling she wanted to exchange. He seemed genuinely shocked to find out that $US wasn't accepted in the shops in Britain!

They can do whatever they want with 'their' business. I think it's smart to accept other currency as long as you can avoid counterfit and deal with the currency exchange rates and fees.

Absolutely.

The $US is legal tender in this country. This means that it must be accepted for payment of a debt. It does not mean it you can't accept other things, be it pesos, euros, bits of string, etc.

Now...

If I was in the US, and I paid for my food in $US and the owner tried to give me change in pesos (euros, bits of string, etc.) that'd be different.

Quite alot of shops here in the South East of England accept Euros, I don't see the problem.

I used to have a job at Harrods, we'd accept £, Euro or $. I'd always marvel when I gave change in sterling from Euros or dollar notes.

It's all just business, and the Europeans and Americans were always grateful for the option (even if the vast majority of them had already brought £ with them)

I'm actually going to say it's not OK. I don't think it should neccessarily be illegal, but not ok and I won't eat there.

English is the language of commerce, the US Dollar is the currency of our commerce; why do they come here? They come here to participate in our commerce so play by the established rules.

I don't care what they do in private, unlike our joke in chief, but in public and in business I think they should play by the rules.

Absolutely.

The $US is legal tender in this country. This means that it must be accepted for payment of a debt. It does not mean it you can't accept other things, be it pesos, euros, bits of string, etc.

Now...

If I was in the US, and I paid for my food in $US and the owner tried to give me change in pesos (euros, bits of string, etc.) that'd be different.

Not content with astrophysics and cosmology, string theorists now enter the world of economics.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I'm actually going to say it's not OK. I don't think it should neccessarily be illegal, but not ok and I won't eat there.

English is the language of commerce, the US Dollar is the currency of our commerce; why do they come here? They come here to participate in our commerce so play by the established rules.

I don't care what they do in private, unlike our joke in chief, but in public and in business I think they should play by the rules.

So how do you feel about US businesses that accept CDN $ ?
How about the ones that accept CDN $ at par to entice Canadians to spend the money at their businesses?
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Sure why not? There are shops here in the UK that take Euro and I've spent US Dollars in Africa and Sri Lanka so whats the problem?
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Wow, the one issue you and I change sides on....Someone mark this second down in time.

I would agree if it were the GOV. I think all GOV business should be done in English and dollars...But a private business can do as they please.

Honestly, I think its purely a publicity stunt.

Agreed. And it is harmless.

I come in contact with a large number of illegals on a day to day basis. None of them, that I have found, have had any pesos on them. They all have had a large amount of US currency,...

This makes sense. Again, if they want to make a statement, that is their right. It is not as though they are going out of their way to interfere with anyone elses right to enjoy life.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.