orribolollie

PRINTS AND PHOTOS TO ENTER THE U.S?

I was listening to NPR (of course) recently heard a similar story told by a Brit commentator. He noted that when traveling to Asia or a non-U.S. country in the Americas, if given a choice between connecting through a U.S. airport or another country (or going to Asia via the Eastern route), he always tries to avoid landing in the U.S., because airport officials consistently are so unfriendly, discourteous and sometimes hostile that it's a predictably unpleasant experience.
I think that's sad. Surely we can have adequate security at our ports of entry without being assholes.

Because if the FBI or CIA is doing there job (like you mentioned) they should have a picture and possibly a fingerprint of the people they should be watching. By taking your photo and fingerprint they can compare it to their database (we have the technology to do facial and fingerprint recognition

But if Im not faking my identity and IM not a criminal which im not ....
Then why do I have to be fingerprinted?

And I'm sure that the people who are faking their identity or are criminals wouldn't lie.

PS: Why do they check your ID when you buy tobacco, alcohol, or firearms?
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

I was listening to NPR (of course) recently heard a similar story told by a Brit commentator. He noted that when traveling to Asia or a non-U.S. country in the Americas, if given a choice between connecting through a U.S. airport or another country (or going to Asia via the Eastern route), he always tries to avoid landing in the U.S., because airport officials consistently are so unfriendly, discourteous and sometimes hostile that it's a predictably unpleasant experience.
I think that's sad. Surely we can have adequate security at our ports of entry without being assholes.

I would be interested to know if this is due to policy or to pay (or lack there of amongst personal).

I have learnt from a previous thread that British nationals (and others Id guess), have to be fingerprinted and photographed to enter the US?

Just wondered what everyone, well especially those of you from the US thought of this?

I have no problem with it.
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

But if Im not faking my identity and IM not a criminal which im not ....
Then why do I have to be fingerprinted?

And I'm sure that the people who are faking their identity or are criminals wouldn't lie.

PS: Why do they check your ID when you buy tobacco, alcohol, or firearms?

What?? Your simply not answering my question!!

Oh well, off topic entirely but I will answer your questions.
ID is asked for when you buy tobacco and alcohol becasue there is a minimum age requirement.
ID is required when you buy firearms so they can keep a record of gun ownership. Not that that stops getting guns into the wrong hands so its kind of pointless.

Right..now can you tell me why 'I' a tourist, a law abiding non identity faking tourist needs to be finger printed. Dont go off topic, answer the question.

and of them, only one actually read it, for which he was called "brainiac on the nerd patrol."

This makes me think there should be a "spoiler quiz". Any congressional member who attempts to vote on a bill must first pass a very simple quiz, with at least a 90, which covers the basic content of that bill. (Tested for simplicity by a control group of Fourth Graders.) Fail the quiz, and that congressman or senator doesn't get to vote. There would be a minimum participation requirement of, say 80% (we'll start low). A failure rate which prevents this level of participation would be grounds for a recall vote in that congressional member's district or State. The second occurrence would be grounds for summary dismissal.

Any takers?

I forgot to add that A) the possession of "legislative cliff-notes" would be considered an act of high treason and B) sponsors of a bill must receive a grade of at least 98% or the bill is quashed.

FallRate

Right..now can you tell me why 'I' a tourist, a law abiding non identity faking tourist needs to be finger printed. Dont go off topic, answer the question.

I did answer you question.

It is harder to forge a fingerprint and photo then a passport so they are better forms of validation.

Because if the FBI or CIA is doing there job (like you mentioned) they should have a picture and possibly a fingerprint of the people they should be watching. By taking your photo and fingerprint they can compare it to their database (we have the technology to do facial and fingerprint recognition).

Nobody knows if you are really 'I' a tourist, a law abiding non identity faking tourist. You might be a terrorist. Your government should reciprocate this procedure. It's only fair.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

And guess what.. I understand that they dont even need a visa to come here.

if the stay is less then 90 days, or has that changed?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Ok...so why are criminals fingerprinted?
Becasue they can be recognised in the future as criminals.
So, why fingerprint a tourist?
So they can be recognised when they commit crime.
Appaling.

Darn! I thought the whole fingerprinting thingie was to make sure tourists would not pose as criminals...:|

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I have learnt from a previous thread that British nationals (and others Id guess), have to be fingerprinted and photographed to enter the US?

Just wondered what everyone, well especially those of you from the US thought of this?

I think it's great!

If the person isn't a citizen there shouldn't exactly be the same expectation of privacy. Also, it IS customs. By its definition, you don't have a "right" to be here, it's a totally optional privilege the U.S. Government is granting you in exchange for some assurance that you'll follow our rules.

Fingerprinted and photographed? Piffle. Did you ever try to visit the old U.S.S.R. before the wall fell?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

To get a concealed weapons license, you need a full set fingerprint card for the FBI. You ABSOLUTELY CANNOT be a felon to get a license, or domestic violence..so the criminal relation is hogwash.
I think we should round up everyone and get fingerprints. That would help get rid of illegals who have well stayed over their welcome
www.911missinglinks.com the definitive truth of 9/11..the who and why, not how

You can handle the TRUTH www.theforbiddentruth.net

I visit the USA about 1-2 times per month and get fingerprinted and photographed each time. I personally don't have a problem with it. The immigration officials can be quite rude sometimes despite the various pledges to be courteous etc... that are plastered on the walls of the immigration hall. Although this is the first point of contact when entering the USA I don't think that it would contribute much to anyone's overall opinion once they have spent some time in the country.

I have no problem with it.

Neither do I. HOWEVER, I wonder if it has any real value in preventing anything (crime, terrorism...) or if is is just another feel-good measure.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Its just a feel good measure, seeing as they dont have instant live access to every countries national database by the time they've realised anything is up you would be long gone.

Also if you were there up to no good you could sand your fingers or cut them to ruin the impressions that would be taken. Within a week your prints would look very different. As my full time job is mechanical engineer my fingers are forever smooth from linishing and have cuts from sharp swarf etc and it is therefore believable that some peoples prints are 'mutilated' quite badly. This is the reason everytime someone is taken into custody they have their prints retaken, they do change. Throw in enough doubt and its possible would be thrown out of court on insuffcient evidence.

Its just a feel good measure, seeing as they dont have instant live access to every countries national database by the time they've realised anything is up you would be long gone.

Also if you were there up to no good you could sand your fingers or cut them to ruin the impressions that would be taken. Within a week your prints would look very different. As my full time job is mechanical engineer my fingers are forever smooth from linishing and have cuts from sharp swarf etc and it is therefore believable that some peoples prints are 'mutilated' quite badly. This is the reason everytime someone is taken into custody they have their prints retaken, they do change. Throw in enough doubt and its possible would be thrown out of court on insuffcient evidence.

Biometrics;)

linishing ....sharp swarf ...

thanks, I haven't been in a dictionary in a long time

you are lucky to be a more "hands on" engineer then...

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Hahaha..still appaling really, what a way to be welcomed having saved up for your long awaited holiday to San fran / New York..whereever....

I'm not sure why it is appalling so long as it is done in a courteous manner and to everyone.

because where we're from only criminals get fingerprinted and photographed for the records.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Hahaha..still appaling really, what a way to be welcomed having saved up for your long awaited holiday to San fran / New York..whereever....

I'm not sure why it is appalling so long as it is done in a courteous manner and to everyone.

because where we're from only criminals get fingerprinted and photographed for the records.

Well, over here there are people who are not criminals that get fingerprinted and photographed. I was fingerprinted when I accepted a job working for the government at the post office.