BlueSkiesKel

DEC 7th- A day which has lived in INFAMY

The US had managed to finish WW2 within 3 years, but has not even managed to contain the war in Iraq in more than the same timeframe. What's up with that?

There are too many PC wusses out there who won't let a man be a man, and take care of business. It's pretty hard to kick ass and take names when you have to worry about civilians, children and infrastructure

>There are too many PC wusses out there who won't let a man be
>a man, and take care of business.

Exactly. And what do you know? We have a man's man in custody right now, by the name of Saddam Hussein. He wasn't afraid to break a few eggs to make omelettes, and he had all of Iraq living in peace. Terrified peace, but peace nonetheless.

Let's go with Royd's plan, and get those US wimps out of there and put a REAL man in charge!

It really erks me when a civilian says anything about the war...without having any experiance in or with it

That's a truly infortunate situation, as most of the time, the fine person at the head of the armed forces, AKA DA POTUS, ain't wearing no uniform.:|

Besides, if it wasn't for civilians, you'd have little to look forward to once being discharged.:|

Exactly, I am a civilian, a friend of mine was a SEAL for 28.5 yrs until last month, he is a civilian now.

I wonder if you consider he or I or anyone else to be ingnorant of what is going on?

This is not an attack on your statement, I just want to know or cause you to rethink that statement.

I wasnt referring to ALL civilians...just the ignorant ones that choose to hate the war and everyone involved in it....knowing that alot of the people involved..dont want to be where they are at. I know they joined..but there are some poeple doing 3 and 4 terms over there....they really dont want to bo there....and NO ONE joins the military to do 4 straight years of war or being in a warzone.
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

"...anyone have a "so there I was" story for that day?? "

In a town near where I grew up lived a quiet man. He never talked much about his days in the war, and very few knew his story until he was interviewed by a reporter and his story was published in a local paper several years ago. The brief version is that he served aboard and was on the USS Arizona when she was sunk at Pearl. He was then reassigned to a carrier, the USS Yorktown. Six months later, at the Battle of Midway, the Yorktown was sunk by repeated Japanese torpedo attacks. He survived this atack as well and was reassigned again to another ship, this time a destroyer (whose name slips my memory). This ship was also sunk during a battle in the Pacific, the sailor again survived, and he was finally assigned to shore duty for the remainder of the war. Undoubtedly the Navy was having trouble finding men who would sail with him!

To help visualize what happened 65 years ago.
One period for each American who lost their life on December 7, 1941 at pearl harbor.

nice post willard.. exactly the type of stuff i like to read and remember.. good stuff.. not good that people died, good to honor and remember them though!

"
INFAMY = Judgement
t

INFAMY= President Roosevelt's words..not mine

"Yesterday, December 7,1941 - a date which will live in infamy -- The United States was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan"

but again, I dont want to debate the fighting!...

anyone have a "so there I was" story for that day??:)

I do. Baghdad, Dec. 7th 2006. Early morning, 2 am first responder after a firefight my unit had, once an IED was exploded. Very memorable. Fortunately our guys were not severly injured, but a few Foreign "Iraqi Insurgents" were. Treated some of those.
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

nice post willard.. exactly the type of stuff i like to read and remember.. good stuff.. not good that people died, good to honor and remember them though!

Why dont we start a thread in remembereance of those women and children in Mei Lai, or Nagasaki or Hiroshima
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Why dont we start a thread in remembereance of those women and children in Mei Lai, or Nagasaki or Hiroshima

Squeak.. go ahead.. but I do believe that the atom bomb was dropped on Aug 6th to Hiroshima and Aug9th to Nagasaki.. so those days are days of remembrance as well.. but those arent today

Squeak.. go ahead.. but I do believe that the atom bomb was dropped on Aug 6th to Hiroshima and Aug9th to Nagasaki.. so those days are days of remembrance as well.. [B]but those arent today[/B]

Exactly, Kel.

So Squeak, can we expect threads from you on those two dates you'd prefer to honor? I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for hypocrisy, in case you forget in your haste to the next online scuffle.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

I remember talking with an archeology professor while in undergrad...The USS Arizona is a ecological disaster waiting to happen--there are still approx 500,000 gallons of fuel oil in her tanks...they've taken surveys, but the survivors lobby does not want the Navy to pump it out...

The mentioned prof said he dove the wreck on a site survey, flanked by navy divers (not sure if they were SEALs), and it's gonna be a clusterfuck when the tanks give way...But pumping out the tanks might cause a collapse...what to do???
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

But pumping out the tanks might cause a collapse...what to do???

stick an empty bladder(s) in the tank and as you pump out the oil, maintain the pressure by filling the bladder with sometime less objectionable than oil

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

So Squeak, can we expect threads from you on those two dates you'd prefer to honor? I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for hypocrisy, in case you forget in your haste to the next online scuffle.

It wasn't my nation that commited those atrocites, and then claim to be fighting for truth and justice, where's there hypocrisy from me:|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

The US had managed to finish WW2 within 3 years

Hmmm I agree with your post's sentiments, but the above might be best expressed as "to help finish" or "finish its involvement".

It suggests that the US won WWII and whilst there may be some truth to that in the pacific, the US can hardly claim all the kudos of single-handedly saving Europe.:P
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

Hmmm I agree with your post's sentiments, but the above might be best expressed as "to help finish" or "finish its involvement".

It suggests that the US won WWII and whilst there may be some truth to that in the pacific, the US can hardly claim all the kudos of single-handedly saving Europe.:P

There seem to be many in the US who get their history from Hollywood who indeed think that way.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

There seem to be many in the US who get their history from Hollywood who indeed think that way.

I heard Bon Jovi captured the Enigma machine.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

the US can hardly claim all the kudos of single-handedly saving Europe.

Thank God for the French. ;)

They made all those German troops easy to find during the counter-assault. :ph34r:

The French didn't make all the Axis forces easy to find, if anything it was complete misdirection from the 3.5+ million German soldiers killed by the Russians.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I was watching a few documentaries on the attack the other day while at work, and hearing some of the stories tore me apart, I was in tears hearing about it. Thanks to all who served back then and continue to serve. And thanks to BlueskiesKel for starting this thread, I'm sorry a few people had to ruin it.

Maybe people in here could have a shred of decency and take their arguments out of this thread, maybe here---> Thanks Tonto
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Mei Lai, yes indeed, and for that the US court martialed all involved, not as many armies around the wrld that their own governments let them off the hook, but perhaps, you need to read a little more history, as you infer the Japanese were "misteriously and for no good reason" attacked by the US. Perhaps you should look on how the US was trying get Japanese surrender but to no avail, until 2 bombs got dropped in their homeland.

Tokyo had more casualties and I don't see any lame bickering about that....or Japan's massive Chinese killings (Over 3 million).
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

Mei Lai, yes indeed, and for that the US court martialed all involved, not as many armies around the wrld that their own governments let them off the hook, but perhaps, you need to read a little more history, as you infer the Japanese were "misteriously and for no good reason" attacked by the US. Perhaps you should look on how the US was trying get Japanese surrender but to no avail, until 2 bombs got dropped in their homeland.

Tokyo had more casualties and I don't see any lame bickering about that....or Japan's massive Chinese killings (Over 3 million).

You need to check you facts on the court martials you speak of, yo may wqell be surprised. As to the 2 A bombs they were dropped on civilians, cites not military bases
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I know they joined..but there are some poeple doing 3 and 4 terms over there....they really dont want to bo there....and NO ONE joins the military to do 4 straight years of war or being in a warzone.

They knew the possibility of being sent to war was there when they signed the dotted line.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

So, no response about the fact that we were trying to get Japan to surrender, that the civilians were committing suicide where US troops landed, that we were at war, and no comment about the bombing of other Japanese cities like Tokyo, that had more casualties, with incendiary bombs.

No bickering about the 3 million chinese murdered by the Japanese during their occupation, and countless biological experimentation going on. Glad that you can see things through...:|

You need to check you facts on the court martials you speak of, yo may wqell be surprised. As to the 2 A bombs they were dropped on civilians, cites not military bases