BlueSkiesKel

DEC 7th- A day which has lived in INFAMY

He was a politician. -> Speakers Corner.
It was the title of your thread, and it infers judgement.

*** Then quit making threats and move it already Mr. moderator, but it seems you're the only one getting political here. Too bad honoring worthy veterans is so offensive to you.

John Wright

World's most beloved skydiver

INFAMY= President Roosevelt's words..not mine

He was a politician. -> Speakers Corner.
It was the title of your thread, and it infers judgement.

t

Is there a reason why you are getting COMPLETELY defensive about this. If you are not from the states or living here...then jsut dont comment on it. If you are anit war..thats fine..but dont talk shit about the people that are over there obeying the orders of those appointed over them. have you ever served in the military? Do you know how things work? If not...then dont "think" you knwo whats happens..and how orders are given. Do you think the soldier sailors and airmen WANT to be over there...yeah right. Im about to go over there...do you think I want to be over there...not really...but if i have to go then i have to do..i dont really have a say in the matter. It really erks me when a civilian says anything about the war...without having any experiance in or with it. Im sorry im ranting here..but hell....something has to be said. Let me get flamed for it..i dont care..but this shit reallys annoys me. The orgin of this post was to commemorate something that is very serious is the US history...dont talk shit about it. ok..im done.
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

sorry about the spelling and grammatical errors..i just got off of working a 12 hour shift...brain needs rest.

yes your previous post illustrates that well
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I don't post much anymore but since I teach history of the US and am teaching WWII to my students this week I felt I needed to say something.

Teachers generally work hard to present all sides of an arguement to their students then allow them to make an educated decision based upon what they have learned.

That said, President Roosevelt and congress would not join the League of Nations after WWI because they felt the United States should stay out of other countries business. Yet when the US was attacked in what is quoted to be a suprise attack they declared war on Japan and the Axis powers.

ALL of the countries who were fighting felt they had the right to fight for their beliefs.
ALL of the people who fought risked their lives.
ALL of the countries lost something during the war.

Is war right? That is a personal decision. The point is to remember the past and learn from our mistakes. Honor those who served on all sides as they gave the most they had to give. No matter what side they were on many lives were lost December 7, 1941. Many lives were lost when the US bombed Japan. Life is valuable no matter what side you are on.

OK, back to your regularly scheduled b*tchin'

Lisa

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

Yet when the US was attacked in what is quoted to be a suprise attack they declared war on Japan and the Axis powers.

Umm, US declared war on Japan - Germany declared war on US, US returned the favour, right?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

and all those still fighting for what makes this country great... God Bless

Firstly, I think this should be in speakers corner. The 7th of Dec 1942 was when the US was finally dragged, kicking and screaming, into the 2nd World War, which had been going for over 3 years at the time. Wars involve politics and guns, which both belong in speakers corner.

It was 1941, not 1942.

WWII had been going on for more than 2 years. The Battle of Britain had been won more than a year earlier. The USSR had stopped the Nazis at the gates of Moscow. The tide in Europe had already turned. The attack on Pearl Harbor (like Operation Barbarossa) was a piece of monumental stupidity that sealed the fate of the Axis.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

and all those still fighting for what makes this country great... God Bless

Firstly, I think this should be in speakers corner. The 7th of Dec 1942 was when the US was finally dragged, kicking and screaming, into the 2nd World War, which had been going for over 3 years at the time. Wars involve politics and guns, which both belong in speakers corner.

It was 1941, not 1942.

WWII had been going on for more than 2 years. The Battle of Britain had been won more than a year earlier. The USSR had stopped the Nazis at the gates of Moscow. The tide in Europe had already turned. The attack on Pearl Harbor (like Operation Barbarossa) was a piece of monumental stupidity that sealed the fate of the Axis.

Yes you are correct John, but the war was FAR from over.

I hope you recall we barely beat the Germans to a viable bomb, and for that matter Japan as well.

Until their industries were crippled the world faced a vast threat.

It really erks me when a civilian says anything about the war...without having any experiance in or with it

That's a truly infortunate situation, as most of the time, the fine person at the head of the armed forces, AKA DA POTUS, ain't wearing no uniform.:|

Besides, if it wasn't for civilians, you'd have little to look forward to once being discharged.:|

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

It really erks me when a civilian says anything about the war...without having any experiance in or with it

That's a truly infortunate situation, as most of the time, the fine person at the head of the armed forces, AKA DA POTUS, ain't wearing no uniform.:|

Besides, if it wasn't for civilians, you'd have little to look forward to once being discharged.:|

Exactly, I am a civilian, a friend of mine was a SEAL for 28.5 yrs until last month, he is a civilian now.

I wonder if you consider he or I or anyone else to be ingnorant of what is going on?

This is not an attack on your statement, I just want to know or cause you to rethink that statement.

I had a great uncle who was there that morning. I interviewed him for a paper for my eighth grade History class, but that was a long time ago. What I remember from the interview is that most on his ship survived, while most on some other ships died.

I do remember him being a bit bitter about his government having allowed the attacks to occur, despite previous knowledge. (<-- SC worthy controversy)

When I was stationed at Schofield Barracks, one could look above the ceiling tiles in the rooms on the third (top) floor, and see (patched) bullet holes from rounds on either side of the cockpit of the Japanese planes as they strafed the building on their way to Pearl Harbor. The lines of holes were paired, equidistant apart, all the way across the building.

Had I been there on that morning, with my bed where it was in 1994, I wouldn't be here on this morning.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

"...anyone have a "so there I was" story for that day?? "

In a town near where I grew up lived a quiet man. He never talked much about his days in the war, and very few knew his story until he was interviewed by a reporter and his story was published in a local paper several years ago. The brief version is that he served aboard and was on the USS Arizona when she was sunk at Pearl. He was then reassigned to a carrier, the USS Yorktown. Six months later, at the Battle of Midway, the Yorktown was sunk by repeated Japanese torpedo attacks. He survived this atack as well and was reassigned again to another ship, this time a destroyer (whose name slips my memory). This ship was also sunk during a battle in the Pacific, the sailor again survived, and he was finally assigned to shore duty for the remainder of the war. Undoubtedly the Navy was having trouble finding men who would sail with him!

To help visualize what happened 65 years ago.
One period for each American who lost their life on December 7, 1941 at pearl harbor.

I do remember him being a bit bitter about his government having allowed the attacks to occur, despite previous knowledge. (<-- SC worthy controversy)

And being so arrogant as to not have in place a "Chain Home" type of Radar reporting and control network such as we had been using (incredibly successfully) against Luftwaffe attacks for several years. Would have bought you guys an hours warning, not much but its a start.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

A few years ago I was in an electronics store watching Pearl Harbor on some massive TV. There were two older guys (60's) watching it with me. After a few minutes one of them said "it's amazing that my father was there that day, in Pearl Harbor, and now we're watching a movie about something most people don't even remember."

The other said "it's even more amazing that we're watching it on a Japanese TV."

Well, well well, someone tries to honor veterans, survivors and those that lost their lives during a surprise attack that happened 65 years ago, and you want to make it political. That day pretty much dragged us into WWII in the Pacific.

Why did you not move the threads honoring veterans on Memorial day...

How about threads honoring those killed on 9/11...

The reason we won so "quickly" in your terms, is that America and our allies did not fight a politically correct war. We attacked without thought of collateral damage. We dropped 2 atomic weapons, proved we could completely destroy our enemies and they surrendered because they HAD too.

Had we fought this war with the same tenacity, our troops would be home. Our military today has to protect not only themselves, but we have to make sure that the American public does not see anything "disturbing" on the news. Our troops realize the situation they are in, yet they are putting out 150% for their buddies, and doing what they are told.

You need to be really careful how you use your authority on this awesome website. Just because you disagree with the current war, does not mean you can discriminate against the attentive woman who took the time to remember a day most Americans would otherwise forget.

I hope you have a wonderful day....life, whatever.

ps. Tonto means foolish or silly in Spanish.....ha ha
glad to be here!!

I hope you recall we barely beat the Germans to a viable bomb, and for that matter Japan as well.

That is a myth. the Germans were years away from a deliverable bomb and the Japanese had no nuclear program of any significance. It surprised US (and British) Scientists who assumed the Germans, working under Heisenberg, would be far closer than they turned out to be. Read This.

Albert Speer (Nazi armaments minister) writes a pretty good chapter on it in his book, he basically states that even if they went all out (IOW, stopped producing aircraft, V1s, V2s etc). the German economy couldn't create a single bomb until early/mid 1946 and even then they wouldn't have the materials to produce anymore.

As for those still fighting to make your country great, they're not fighting very well. The US had managed to finish WW2 within 3 years, but has not even managed to contain the war in Iraq in more than the same timeframe. What's up with that?

That is a wee bit cold, and harsh. While I claim no expertise, I am sure that failure is that of the leadership and not the poor groundpounders who are actually doing the fighting.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

As for those still fighting to make your country great, they're not fighting very well. The US had managed to finish WW2 within 3 years, but has not even managed to contain the war in Iraq in more than the same timeframe. What's up with that?

That is a wee bit cold, and harsh. While I claim no experise, I am sure that failure is that of the leadership and not the poor groundpounders who are actually doing the fighting.

Ever hear the expression "Lions led by donkeys"?

That is a wee bit cold, and harsh. While I claim no experise, I am sure that failure is that of the leadership and not the poor groundpounders who are actually doing the fighting.

Ever hear the expression "Lions led by donkeys"?

No, but it sounds like an accurate description of the current situation.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Very well said - I think a significant difference is the nature of the enemy too.

Who exactly are the enemy?
Terrorists?
Muslims?
Islamic militants?
Iraqi's?

How exactly did they come about?

Why?

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'