shropshire

Origin of the species, where do you stand?

>Basically there is no creation evidence and no evolution evidence.

Other than the dozens of things we have actually seen that I've listed.

>Everyone should understand that both creationism and evolutionism
>are forensic models of history.

No, creationism is a Bible-derived tale of our beginnings that ignores contradictory science. If a scientific discovery is found to conflict with the bible, it is discarded. That's the opposite of forensic science, which uses science to determine the answers to legal questions. If a forensic scientist found fingerprints of Joe at the scene, and said "I believe that Jack killed him; therefore, these fingerprints don't exist" he would be a poor scientist indeed.

Evolution is a biological/paleontological/anthropological/mathematical reconstruction of what happened to get life to the point it's at now.

>Creationists and evolutionists both have the same evidences at
>their disposal; the same fossils, the same rocks, the same trees,
> and the same strata layers.

OK, so let me ask you a straightforward question. Did cows exist before man? (i.e. did bovines exist before Homo Sapiens) The answer should be right there in the bible.

>I would rather put my faith in God's revealed Word.

(and, apparently, cut and pastes from creationist websites.)

Since you've posted Randy Alcorn's list rather than your own, I'll just direct you to other outside sources if you are really interested in learning about this.

>1.The complexity of living systems could never evolve by chance—they had to be designed and created.
This is the "Paley's Watchmaker" issue. I recommend "Climbing Mt. Improbable" by Dawkins.

>2. The high information content of DNA could only have come from intelligence.
Same; see above.

>3. No mutation that increases genetic information has ever been discovered.
Here's a list of six recent beneficial mutations in humans:
http://www.gate.net/~rwms/EvoHumBenMutations.html

>4. Evolution flies directly in the face of entropy, the second law of thermodynamics.
A misunderstanding of the laws of thermo. Check out:
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/thermo/entropy.html

>5. There is a total lack of undisputed examples (fossilized or living)
> of the millions of transitional forms ("missing links") required for
> evolution to be true.
I have listed dozens above.

>6. Pictures of ape-to-human "missing links" are extremely subjective and based on evolutionists'
>already-formed assumptions. Often they are simply contrived.
Reconstructions of what their faces looked like? True; they are basically guesses. But the bones themselves don't lie.

>7. The dating methods that evolutionists rely upon to assign millions and billions of years to rocks are very
>inconsistent and based on unproven (and questionable) assumptions.
There are literally dozens of dating methods used to figure out the ages of bones. They all agree 99% of the time. You might imagine a god that is screwing with us, forcing our instruments to read incorrectly all the time; if so, I am glad I don't believe in such a trickster God.

>8. Uses continue to be found for supposedly "leftover" body structures.
That's what evolution IS! Nature finding new ways to use old body parts. We used to have hands at the end of our legs; they've made pretty good feet.

>9. Evolution is said to have begun by spontaneous generation—a concept ridiculed by biology.
Nope. Biologists spend their entire careers working on protolife.

>10. The scientific method can only test existing data—it cannot draw conclusions about origins.
So science could never tell you how a mineral forms, or how a stalactite is created? Do you really believe that?

Water is a hostile environment for any land based mammal.

Not so for hippos, sea otters, crocodiles etc. There are a great many animals comfortable in both.

Crocidiles are not mammals. Hippos would eventually die if they didn't have access to solid ground. Otters prefer the water to the land.

Hmm. Then why do their front arms still have claws? Why do they still have pelvises (which sea animals don't need) and salivary glands (which sea animals definitely don't need?)

They've always had claws.

They have pelvises because they are mammals.

Maybe saliva helps in the digestion process.

Compare them to hippos. Hippos still lumber out of the water on occasion, so they have kept (tiny) rear legs that can just barely cart them around on land. Manatees never do, so they have started eliminating the structures that enable them to walk

I've seen footage of hippos on land, and they seem to motivate quite well, especially when perturbed.

Go back a few million years, and picture a bunch of hippos living on a small chain of islands. Over time, the islands sink, and the available living area becomes smaller and smaller

How did they get on the island in the first place?

No planner planned for the ichneumon wasp, an animal that lays its eggs on caterpillars only to have its young eat the caterpillar from the inside out, leaving the brain and heart for last (so the caterpillar can survive as long as possible.) And I'm glad - I wouldn't want to exist with a creator that is that unimaginably cruel.

That's absolutely genius. That's why I like to think that He's on my side or vice versa. BTW, do you think that the Tomato Horn Worm just thought that it accidently got ahold of some deadly nightshade instead of a tomato plant. After all they are in the same family.

"Man, are you feeling OK. You don't look so good."

" I think it must have been something that I ate."

No planner planned for humans to have huge heads and small pelvises, thus making human birth massively painful. That's just how things ended up. Not ideal, but it (usually) works.

So, the writer of Genisis looked around and saw all of the troubles in life, and made up a story to match it?

Men sweating in the field, trying to stay ahead of the weeds, and women screaming in childbirth. That's a long time to perpetuate a fairytale.

>They've always had claws.

OK. They're useless; they use their flippers to swim only. Why do they have them?

>They have pelvises because they are mammals.

Most whales don't have pelvises. They're mammals. (Some have vestiges though.)

>How did they get on the island in the first place?

Lived on a peninsula, the sea rose and it became an island. The only constant in the earth is that it keeps changing.

>So, the writer of Genisis looked around and saw all of the troubles in
>life, and made up a story to match it?

I don't think the writer of Genesis "made anything up." He was passing down an oral tradition that began centuries earlier. The christian creation story was based on the egyptian creation story of land arising from the waters (since they lived on the Nile, a river that regularly floods.)

>Men sweating in the field, trying to stay ahead of the weeds, and
> women screaming in childbirth. That's a long time to perpetuate a
> fairytale.

"Fairytale" is a pretty strong term. It comforted a lot of people and helped them find a connection to God. In that sense it worked very well.

10 MAJOR FLAWS OF EVOLUTION

1.The complexity of living systems could never evolve by chance—they had to be designed and created. A system that is irreducibly complex has precise components working together to perform the basic function of the system. (A mousetrap is a simple example.) If any part of that system were missing, the system would cease to function. Gradual additions could not account for the origin of such a system. It would have to come together fully formed and integrated. Many living systems exhibit this (vision, blood-clotting, etc.). When you look at a watch, you assume there was a watchmaker. A watch is too complex to "happen" by chance. Yet such living systems are almost infinitely more complex than a watch. They could not be random—they simply had to be designed and created.

This argument makes the illogical assumption that we were predesigned in our current state. There is not evidence to support that.

2. The high information content of DNA could only have come from intelligence. Information science teaches that in all known cases, complex information requires an intelligent message sender. This is at the core of the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence (SETI). DNA is by far the most compact information storage/retrieval system known. A pinhead of DNA has a billion times more information capacity than a 4-gigabit hard drive. Ironically, evolutionists scan the heavens using massive radio telescopes hoping for relatively simple signal patterns that might have originated in outer space, all the while ignoring the incredibly complex evidence of superior intelligence built into every human's DNA. While we're waiting to hear signs of intelligence behind interstellar communication, we're ignoring those built into us.

As & Ts and Cs & Gs (plus the occasional U) That's all the information any living organism, no matter how complex or simple, has.

3. No mutation that increases genetic information has ever been discovered. Mutations which increase genetic information would be the raw material necessary for evolution. To get from "amoeba" to "man" would require a massive net increase in information. There are many examples of supposed evolution given by proponents. Variation within a species (finch beak, for example), bacteria which acquire antibiotic resistance, people born with an extra chromosome, etc. However, none of the examples demonstrate the development of new information. Instead, they demonstrate either preprogrammed variation, multiple copies of existing information, or even loss of information (natural selection and adaptation involve loss of information). The total lack of any such evidence refutes evolutionary theory.

Again, this argument makes the unsubstantiated assumption that organisms were designed in their current state.

4. Evolution flies directly in the face of entropy, the second law of thermodynamics. This law of physics states that all systems, whether open or closed, have a tendency to disorder (or "the least energetic state"). There are some special cases where local order can increase, but this is at the expense of greater disorder elsewhere. Raw energy cannot generate the complex systems in living things, or the information required to build them. Undirected energy just speeds up destruction. Yet, evolution is a building-up process, suggesting that things tend to become more complex and advanced over time. This is directly opposed to the law of entropy.

The second law of thermodynamics applies only to closed systems. The earth is not a closed system; it's powered by the sun.

5. There is a total lack of undisputed examples (fossilized or living) of the millions of transitional forms ("missing links") required for evolution to be true. Evolution does not require a single missing link, but innumerable ones. We should be surrounded by a zoo of transitional forms that cannot be categorized as one particular life form. But we don't see this—there are different kinds of dogs, but all are clearly dogs. The fossils show different sizes of horses, but all are clearly horses. None is on the verge of being some other life form. The fossil record shows complex fossilized life suddenly appearing, and there are major gaps between the fossilized "kinds." Darwin acknowledged that if his theory were true, it would require millions of transitional forms. He believed they would be found in fossil records. They haven't been.

Those disputing the fossil record do not do so on the basis of evidence, but rather an emotional attachment to preexisting beliefs.

6. Pictures of ape-to-human "missing links" are extremely subjective and based on evolutionists' already-formed assumptions. Often they are simply contrived. The series of pictures or models that show progressive development from a little monkey to modern man are an insult to scientific research. These are often based on fragmentary remains that can be "reconstructed" a hundred different ways. The fact is, many supposed "ape-men" are very clearly apes. Evolutionists now admit that other so-called "ape-men" would be able to have children by modern humans, which makes them the same species as humans. The main species said to bridge this gap, Homo habilis, is thought by many to be a mixture of ape and human fossils. In other words, the "missing link" (in reality there would have to be millions of them) is still missing. The body hair and the blank expressions of sub-humans in these models doesn't come from the bones, but the assumptions of the artist. Virtually nothing can be determined about hair and the look in someone's eyes based on a few old bones.

Quite a lot can be determined from "a few old bones" by those who know what to look for.

7. The dating methods that evolutionists rely upon to assign millions and billions of years to rocks are very inconsistent and based on unproven (and questionable) assumptions. Dating methods that use radioactive decay to determine age assume that radioactive decay rates have always been constant. Yet, research has shown that decay rates can change according to the chemical environment of the material being tested. In fact, decay rates have been increased in the laboratory by a factor of a billion. All such dating methods also assume a closed system—that no isotopes were gained or lost by the rock since it formed. It's common knowledge that hydrothermal waters, at temperatures of only a few hundred degrees Centigrade, can create an open system where chemicals move easily from one rock system to another. In fact, this process is one of the excuses used by evolutionists to reject dates that don't fit their expectations. What's not commonly known is that the majority of dates are not even consistent for the same rock. Furthermore, 20th century lava flows often register dates in the millions to billions of years. There are many different ways of dating the earth, and many of them point to an earth much too young for evolution to have had a chance. All age-dating methods rely on unprovable assumptions.

Please offer an example of such a dating that is off by a factor of a billion (ie. one test shows something to be 10,000 years old, while another test shows it to be 10,000,000,000,000 years old.)

8. Uses continue to be found for supposedly "leftover" body structures. Evolutionists point to useless and vestigial (leftover) body structures as evidence of evolution. However, it's impossible to prove that an organ is useless, because there's always the possibility that a use may be discovered in the future. That's been the case for over 100 supposedly useless organs which are now known to be essential. Scientists continue to discover uses for such organs. It's worth noting that even if an organ were no longer needed (e.g., eyes of blind creatures in caves), it would prove devolution not evolution. The evolutionary hypothesis needs to find examples of developing organs—those that are increasing in complexity.

This like saying speeding up is accelerating, but slowing down is not. Fact is, both are accelerating. There is nothing in evolutionary theory that says an organism must become more complex. If an organism displays a phenotype that is neither advantageous or disadvantageous, it will not need to be removed or concentrated in future gene pools.

9. Evolution is said to have begun by spontaneous generation—a concept ridiculed by biology. When I was a sophomore in high school, and a brand new Christian, my biology class spent the first semester discussing how ignorant people used to believe that garbage gave rise to rats, and raw meat produced maggots. This now disproven concept was called "spontaneous generation." Louis Pasteur proved that life only comes from life—this is the law of biogenesis. The next semester we studied evolution, where we learned that the first living cell came from a freak combination of nonliving material (where that nonliving material came from we were not told). "Chemical Evolution" is just another way of saying "spontaneous generation"—life comes from nonlife. Evolution is therefore built on a fallacy science long ago proved to be impossible.

I would suggest you research Stanley Miller's 1950 experiment, and other similar experiments. Evolution is not based upon anything science has already disproved.

Evolutionists admit that the chances of evolutionary progress are extremely low. Yet, they believe that given enough time, the apparently impossible becomes possible. If I flip a coin, I have a 50/50 chance of getting heads. To get five "heads" in a row is unlikely but possible. If I flipped the coin long enough, I would eventually get five in a row. If I flipped it for years nonstop, I might get 50 or even 100 in a row. But this is only because getting heads is an inherent possibility. What are the chances of me flipping a coin, and then seeing it sprout arms and legs, and go sit in a corner and read a magazine? No chance. Given billions of years, the chances would never increase. Great periods of time make the possible likely but never make the impossible possible. No matter how long it's given, non-life will not become alive.

I'm pretty sure no one has ever claimed that life originated from a coin.

10. The scientific method can only test existing data—it cannot draw conclusions about origins. Micro-evolution, changes within a species on a small scale, is observable. But evidence for macro-evolution, changes transcending species, is conspicuous by its absence. To prove the possibility of anything, science must be able to reproduce exact original conditions. Even when it proves something is possible, it doesn't mean it therefore happened. Since no man was there to record or even witness the beginning, conclusions must be made only on the basis of interpreting presently available information. If I put on rose-colored glasses, I will always see red. I accept the Bible's teaching on creation, and see the evidence as being consistently supportive of that belief. When dealing with origins, everyone who believes anything does so by faith, whether faith in God, the Bible, himself, modern science, or the dependability of his own subjective interpretations of existing data. I would rather put my faith in God's revealed Word.

There is no difference between micro evolution and macro evolution.

It is interesting that you would accept a single unsubstantiated book at face value, but ignore hundreds (thousands?) of books based on scientific evidence. I agree, if you put on rose colored glasses, you will always see red.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Serious question with which I mean no offense:

Why is a single book on God (Holy Bible) sufficient as evidence of creation, but hundreds (thousands?) of books on evolutionary theory not sufficient?

When someone tries so hard to prove a point, my little red flag goes up.

Interesting. I feel the same about people who knowingly ignore insurmountable evidence. Would you care to answer the question?
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

>You could breed dogs to look like wolves and you'd get something that looked very much like a wolf.

first cross it with a wolf, then cross succeeding generations with wolves.

after about 4 generations, they'd be very wolfish. I'd say somewhere just over 92% wolfish

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>first cross it with a wolf . . .

That would be cheating. You have to start with a chihuahua.

Interesting side note - linked traits are traits that just happen to appear next to each other on chromosomes, so they are likely to be inherited together (i.e. if you have trait A you're more likely to have trait B.)

A few people have bred foxes for domestication, capturing wild ones and breeding the most docile ones in each litter. Within a few generations (20 at most) they were as docile as dogs, and could 'read' human expressions and emotions as well as dogs, suggesting that docility is inheritable. They also started to get floppy ears and white patches on their coats.

So it looks like the coding for floppy ears is near the coding for docility on a fox's genome. Odd linkage.

then the wolf eats the chihuahua - Insert the chichi DNA in later generations

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

So when you say "I feel like steak tonight" it means you're starting to evolve into a cow?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

So when you say "I feel like steak tonight" it means you're starting to evolve into a cow?

That would be trans-gender evolution. I don't think it works that way somehow.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

speaking of food, there's a bunch of idiot scientists out there who believe that the Origin of Feces is from eating a high fiber diet, but, come on, has anyone actually SEEN a bean burrito turn into poop?
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Regardless of evidence (or lack thereof) for either Evolution or creationism, we are supposed to be making intelligent choices here. I choose to support the theory that is the most rational and reasonable. As such, I can not possibly support mythical inventions contrived out of ignorance of the workings of the natural world as a way to explain our presence in this world. As Richard Dawkins said: "I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world."
"We have met the enemy...and he is us." Pogo

www.mondo-fiasco.com

Interesting side note - linked traits are traits that just happen to appear next to each other on chromosomes, so they are likely to be inherited together (i.e. if you have trait A you're more likely to have trait B.)

A few people have bred foxes for domestication, capturing wild ones and breeding the most docile ones in each litter. Within a few generations (20 at most) they were as docile as dogs, and could 'read' human expressions and emotions as well as dogs, suggesting that docility is inheritable. They also started to get floppy ears and white patches on their coats.

So it looks like the coding for floppy ears is near the coding for docility on a fox's genome. Odd linkage.

How bout them new Cogs/Dats. [:/]>http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=416816&in_page_id=1770My cousin the mailman is really freakin now
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

>I
Nope, completely wrong.

Here's how such an evolution would take place:

You would jump without a parachute. You would die.

Billions of other people would jump without parachutes. They would all die.

Eventually, some freak of nature (6' 6" tall, 120 pounds) would jump, and would land in a tree. He would survive, barely - but he would reproduce. No one else would; heck, they're all dead!

The next generation would be 6 foot plus people, all weighing about 120 pounds. This isn't because evolution "knows" to produce light people, but because all the heavier people are dead, and dead people don't reproduce. Some of these people would be smart enough to track towards trees, and would be tall/light enough to survive. The lightest/tallest/smartest ones of this next generation would survive, the rest would not.

Do this for ten million years, and you'd have a race of people who were all ten feet tall, weighed 80 pounds, and could survive landing in a tree without much injury. Sure, they wouldn't be able to do much else - but in your example, they don't have to. All they have to do is survive jumping out of an airplane without a parachute.

In the real world, we DO have parachutes, so being able to survive a terminal freefall without a parachute isn't much of a survival characteristic - which is why we aren't 10 foot tall stick figures.

Substitute "tree" for "airplane" and "squirrel" for "man" and you would get someting like this:

http://www.australianstamp.com/Coin-web/feature/nature/sqglider.htm

For a creature that lives on trees it is definitely a desirable trait to be able to survive an accidental fall from a great height, those who die from the fall (obviously) stop reproducing, those who survive keep passing on their "improvement" to their offspring and so on and so forth.

Cheers,

Vale

Neo-Darwinians presume a long chain of random changes which eventually (through very small ones) can lead to large evolutionary change. However, if these events all lose information, they can’t explain NDT no matter how many mutations there are.

The information of life could not have been built up the way the NDT says it was. Evolutionists have not succeeded in finding a random source of the variation that will make the NDT work. In the 1940’s, when we knew almost nothing of molecular biology, evolutionists were satisfied that the NDT could explain evolution. In the 1990’s we know too much about molecular biology to be satisfied.

Genetic rearrangements don’t work because they can’t build up the necessary information. Moreover they don’t seem to be random. Copying errors don’t work because the chance is too small that they could build up the necessary information. The only way to make copying errors work is to declare convergence impossible. But convergence is too pervasive in the living world to permit that option. If copying errors are the variation of the NDT, then the theory predicts the important events of evolution to be nearly impossible. --- (Copying errors, even if stored as potential recombination, cannot provide the random variation needed by the NDT; If there can be no convergence when there are a million potential adaptive mutations, there surely can be none when there are 10 to the 1,998 power of them.) --- If a theory predicts events to be nearly impossible then one cannot justifiably say that it explains those events. If the NDT cannot explain what it claims to be the most important events of evolution, we must reject it.
– Dr. Lee Spetner

Not even one mutation has been observed that adds a little information to the genome. That surely shows that there are not the millions upon millions of potential mutations the theory demands. There may well not be any. The failure to observe even one mutation that adds information is more than just a failure to find support for the theory. It is evidence against the theory

The argument "for" Creation doesn't even have to be made here. The argument "against" Evolution is just too strong. If it fails the test at its foundation, it doesn't matter how well you can "stack the bones" based on "looks."

There isn't an argument for creationism in any sense that any scientist would recognize, and there is no objective evidence at all in favor of an "intelligent designer". Just because the evidence for evolution isn't absolute doesn't mean it's not overwhelming.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

There isn't an argument for creationism in any sense that any scientist would recognize, and there is no objective evidence at all in favor of an "intelligent designer". Just because the evidence for evolution isn't absolute doesn't mean it's not overwhelming.

You put your faith in one and I put mine in another. I just wish you'd call it what it is instead of hiding behind what you want/wish/desperately need to be "good science."

You put your faith in one and I put mine in another. I just wish you'd call it what it is instead of hiding behind what you want/wish/desperately need to be "good science."

Your abuse of the word "faith" in this manner to mischaracterize scientific understanding based on a body of evidence that is not yet complete is absolutely tortured. It is modern face of the very same intellectual dishonesty once used to justify the burning of witches.

I realize that it is very upsetting for something to fall apart that you've always been told. However, intellectual honesty requires the following:

If the NDT cannot explain what it claims to be the most important events of evolution, we must reject it. – Dr. Lee Spetner

There aren’t enough “billions of years” to explain away some of this stuff. No matter how much you want it to be true.

And yet godidit is completely believable.:S

You guys crack me up.

I guess we're not talking about "Origin of the species, where do you stand?" anymore. I'm not even arguing for God in these posts. I'm just saying that you may want to pick another theory to believe in or at least hope for some modification to the current one (again).

I realize that it is very upsetting for something to fall apart that you've always been told.

The only thing I find upsetting is otherwise intelligent, educated people in industrialized nations in the 21st Century sacrificing the rational side of their intellects to enable the burning of witches. It's embarrassing. More than that, it's shameful.

I'm just saying that you may want to pick another theory to believe in or at least hope for some modification to the current one (again).

I think the current evolutionary theory is doing fine. Perhaps it is your understanding of it that requires modification?