flyangel2

How can we make our schools safe?

This really pisses me off. Children should be safe at schools.

Update on the hostages: One girl died this afternoon.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15032063/

BAILEY, Colo. - A middle-aged gunman walked into the high school in this mountain town Wednesday, fired at least two shots and took six people hostage before the situation ended with his death, authorities said.

Four hostages were released, but two girls remained inside Platte Canyon High School more than three hours after the gunman arrived, said Jacki Kelley, spokeswoman for the Jefferson County sheriff.

Park County Sheriff Fred Wegener said the gunman shot one of the girls and then shot himself after a SWAT team entered the high school. The girl was taken to the hospital in critical condition via helicopter.

Earlier, hundreds of students were evacuated in a scene that recalled the horror at Columbine just a short drive away.

Jacki Kelley, spokeswoman for the Jefferson County sheriff, did not release the gunman’s name or identify the hostages.

Authorities sent a bomb squad and SWAT team to the high school.

School evacuated
The evacuation of the high school and a nearby middle school came after a loud noise, said Jan Howard, a secretary to the superintendent of schools.

“I don’t know what the noise was,” she said. She said students were taken to a safe location, but predicted parents would not be able to immediately reach them because the only highway in and out of town had been shut down.

Jefferson County authorities are all too familiar with school attacks: The sheriff’s office handled the 1999 attack at Columbine High School in which two students killed 13 people before taking their own lives.

“I’m just terrified. I’m terrified,” said Sherry Husen, whose son plays on the high school football team and was told not to return to school from his part-time job. “I know so many kids in that school.”

Parents pressed authorities for details but had little information on their children.

Terrifying text message
Bill Twyford said he received a text message from his 15-year-old son, Billy, a student at the high school, at about 11:30 a.m. It said: “Hey there, there’s a gun hijacking in school right now. I’m fine, bad situation though.”

Twyford said he had not heard from his son since then and was not sure if he was among the hostages.

Students from the two evacuated schools were taken to an elementary school for a head count. Ambulances were parked in the end zone of the school’s football field.

Michael Owens, who has one son at the middle school and another in the high school, said the anxiety was worse because of the memory of Columbine.

“It’s like an earthquake,” he said.

Tom Mauser, whose son Daniel was among the students slain at Columbine, said: “Any adult who holds kids hostage is reprehensible.”

770 students enrolled
The schools are in a narrow, winding canyon carved by the South Platte River about 35 miles southwest of Denver. They have an enrollment of about 770 students, with 460 in the high school.

Husen’s family moved to Bailey from suburban Denver about 14 years ago.

“We moved up here for the mountain solitude, and I just never thought this would happen in this school, but it happens everywhere,” she said.

Other schools in the area were put in lockdown, meaning students would not be allowed to leave until administrators determined it was safe

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

How are we making ourselves and our children safe from the other terrorists? Who are his kind?

There are some really angry people in the world. It's just sad. I wonder what the world will be like for my child when he's grown....and his children.

When we respond to these kinds of actions, I just hope that it's with some concern for the kind of world we're creating with our reactions....

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Stop allowing people to own weapons?

That's not going to happen!

Chuck

Sure it will, Chuck - didn't you know it's only fair for that 110 lb, 5 foot 2 inch woman to engage in a fistfight with her 225 lb, 6 foot 2 inch attacker??
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

How are we making ourselves and our children safe from the other terrorists? Who are his kind?

There are some really angry people in the world. It's just sad. I wonder what the world will be like for my child when he's grown....and his children.

When we respond to these kinds of actions, I just hope that it's with some concern for the kind of world we're creating with our reactions....

linz

There's terrorists in all schools. We call them 'bullies'.

Chuck

That's not going to happen!

Chuck

Sure it will, Chuck - didn't you know it's only fair for that 110 lb, 5 foot 2 inch woman to engage in a fistfight with her 225 lb, 6 foot 2 inch attacker??

...and that 6'2", 225-lb. attacker is usually a 'live-in', who likes to drink heavily. "But, but... he's only like that when he's been drinking!"

Chuck

..and that 6'2", 225-lb. attacker is usually a 'live-in', who likes to drink heavily. "But, but... he's only like that when he's been drinking!"

Yeah... [:/]

Unfortunately, all too many people don't realize it's only a restraining order, not a friggin magic spell....
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Gotta be one of the toughest questions of our time. Believe it or not, I don't have an answer that I like. Could have a prison-like school environment. Total lockdown, extreme screening for anybody that comes near the place, profiling that would make the Klan look friendly.

That is of course pretty unreasonable given the # of students injured and killed compared to the total # of students. But tell that to someone with a dead kid.

Tough call. Enroll your kids in martial arts, help them master the Two Obs (Obsevation and Objectivity), and teach them to always trust their hunches when it comes to human behaviors. I would bet my bottom dollar this person exhibited plenty of abnormal behavior before the point of no return.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

..and that 6'2", 225-lb. attacker is usually a 'live-in', who likes to drink heavily. "But, but... he's only like that when he's been drinking!"

Yeah... [:/]

Unfortunately, all too many people don't realize it's only a restraining order, not a friggin magic spell....

...and they gotta see the blood and guts before they'll do anything about that restraining order!

Chuck

>didn't you know it's only fair for that 110 lb, 5 foot 2 inch woman to
>engage in a fistfight with her 225 lb, 6 foot 2 inch attacker??

Bad example. I know a 130 lb, 5'5" woman who could break anyone here in half. It's all about how safe you want to be.

Bad example. I know a 130 lb, 5'5" woman who could break anyone here in half. It's all about how safe you want to be.

Just because you know of an exception doesn't make the example invalid.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Just because you know of an exception doesn't make the example invalid.

Yup! Take my wife... Please! Oh, wrong forum!:D When my wife was in the DPS Academy, she was paired-up in the boxing ring with a guy 6'3" and about 210. One punch was thrown... hers. An upper-cut. She got patrol... he got DMV. She's 5'2".
That' because of 'training'. Not all women are like that and are bigger.

Chuck

>Just because you know of an exception doesn't make the example invalid.

Now that's funny, given that you were using that as an example of an 'exception!' (i.e. if the woman had a gun she'd be 'safe.')

Giving the woman a gun might "even the playing field." So would learning to fight. Indeed, teaching that woman to fight would leave her a whole lot safer than giving her a gun and only minimal training in its use. In both cases, it's the training - not the hardware - that makes her safer. And that's far from an exception in almost any endeavor (skydiving included.)

Jesus H...

Bill, don't turn this into another gun debate.

Back to the original question:

What happens more often in our schools? Someone, student or not, enters the school and shoots people or due to gang affiliations or even non-gang affiliations, someone gets beaten severly requiring medical attention...or gets stabbed...or gets shot at outside of school? Which one is more of a pressing issue? Well, the gang issue is a MUCH more pressing issue. People don't think about it since they only respond in knee jerk reactions to what is on the news instead of understanding the larger problems.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yes, because that has been so effective everywhere else it's been tried.

Just look at the war on illegal drugs, for example. When those drugs were made illegal for private consumption, the problem went away!

And when alcohol was banned during Prohibition, problems with drunkenness vanished!

Yep, it's time to ban all the guns. Then these things won't be able to happen any more.

And if an angry man like this decides to hurt people with something else, well, we'll just ban that too.

But let's start with those damn guns.

What exactly does that mean? Spell it out.

Well, I think we often react with knee-jerk responses to things that frighten us. I want my child's school to be a safe place for him, but I also want him to spend those hours in an environment that is relaxed.

I think that over-policing people is not healthy. I think that living in a place that's not safe is also not healthy. I think we've been leaning toward the over-policing end of the spectrum lately. That bothers me.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

What exactly does that mean? Spell it out.

Well, I think we often react with knee-jerk responses to things that frighten us. I want my child's school to be a safe place for him, but I also want him to spend those hours in an environment that is relaxed.

I think that over-policing people is not healthy. I think that living in a place that's not safe is also not healthy. I think we've been leaning toward the over-policing end of the spectrum lately. That bothers me.

linz

I don't like the over-policing option either, so that is why my preference is to training. But the same effect could result (kids scared of school). If I intend to educate them on how to deal with bullies, ignorants, and possibly maniacs - the conversations could make them scared. In a way, that's just a reflection of the world we live in. We've already started, since she just had her 1st bullying experience. Our conversations so far have revolved around how to recognize toxic people.

I've gotten the over-reaction reaction from a couple people. Granted, a few school shootings per year nationwide makes it one in many millions your child could be a victim; but I think knowing they were just very unlucky is small consolation for the parent of a murdered child.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Make them all wear uniforms.. that way they all will look the same... and regiment them from an early age. Teach them to honor and revere their leaders. Anyone who gets out of line and does not follow the proscribed training goes to re-education camps.

Make them all wear uniforms.. that way they all will look the same... and regiment them from an early age. Teach them to honor and revere their leaders. Anyone who gets out of line and does not follow the proscribed training goes to re-education camps.

STOP IT! Arghhhhhh! I hope mine makes it through school without uniforms. I hate the thought of it. Teaching a little respect for adults (rather than to revere their leaders) is a good thing, though, imho.

linz
--

We have about 5 million students in each grade, in this country. I'm guessing anyone who isn't butting heads with their school's thug has less than a 1 in a million chance of getting shot in school.

Ain't the media grand. Exploit the emotions. Ignore the statistical realities.

Anyone know how many schools killings (like this) we've had since Columbine?