flyangel2

How can we make our schools safe?

Anyone know how many schools killings (like this) we've had since Columbine?

School killings akin to Columbine, I can only think of a few. However, according to http://youthviolence.edschool.virginia.edu/violence-in-schools/school-shootings.html:

Contrary to public perception, school homicides declined after 1993, although from 1997 to 1999 there was a series of copycat shootings stimulated by unprecedented media coverage.

In a nutshell, for those not wanting to click the provided links, school violence in the US is actually declining. That's not to say schools are as safe as they could be, but they are safer than they were.

Stop allowing people to own weapons?

Yes, because that has been so effective everywhere else it's been tried.

Just look at the war on illegal drugs, for example. When those drugs were made illegal for private consumption, the problem went away!

And when alcohol was banned during Prohibition, problems with drunkenness vanished!

Yep, it's time to ban all the guns. Then these things won't be able to happen any more.

And if an angry man like this decides to hurt people with something else, well, we'll just ban that too.

But let's start with those damn guns.

Well... I live in europe, and there is no military duty in my country... so I have barely seen a real gun in my life.
Not heard of such dramas in europe, but there are maybe other causes.

Banning guns is maybe not the ultimate solution (and as stated earlier, this is not going to happen in countries where men like to feel like John Wayne :) )... but regulating their use could help.
If dad (sorry for being sexistic, i fell that women are more mature about this) has a rifle in the cupboard, then it's easier for his kid to get it and shoot half of his classmates.

If only people who need it have one, and lock them well when not in use, well it's harder for this kid to achieve his video-game bloodbath.
And I don't think that all kids who could pull a trigger at someone could also stab someone as easily.

Then about the little women defending against a big guy, I wonder how many innocents die because they didn't have a gun to defend themselves, and how many die because someone misused the gun that was bought for defense.
I would vote that there are more in the second case. Ok, hard to tell that to the little woman who is afraid to go alone at dark.

Someone who liked the theory of Michael Moore in "Bowling for Columbine" (or was it fahrentheit 9/11)? Culture of terror, everybody is afraid of everybody... so everybody is more likely to shoot at sight...
"We call on the common man to rise up in revolt against this evil of typographical ignorance."
http://bancomicsans.com

And from one of the articles on the Colorado incident:

Gov. Bill Owens, who visited the school and the church Thursday afternoon, said he thought school security improvements made in Bailey after the 1999 attack at Columbine High School in nearby Littleton had probably kept Wednesday’s attack from being worse. The school was built with evacuation fully in mind, including a system that allowed students in adjoining classrooms to escape quickly, Mr. Owens said.

So now one of the design elements for new schools is escapability from those that delight in murdering children.

Wonderful world.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

So now one of the design elements for new schools is escapability from those that delight in murdering children..

and fires, and to get out and in for other reasons

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

So now one of the design elements for new schools is escapability from those that delight in murdering children.

That's a good thing, imho. It doesn't restrict children in any way. It's an easy addition to building plans I'd think. And it's only really noticeable when you need it. Good choice.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Interesting stats, but not of much real meaning. Do you console the parents of dead kids by telling them that:

"We are very sorry for your loss, but you know the schools are 66% safer than they were in 1993, except for that nasty little blip in the late 90's. But the bottom line is that this is very uncommon, you just happen to be very unlucky. Let us know if we can be of further assistance, and have a nice day."

The numbers are small, but the drop from 42 to 25 to 13 is no concillation at all. Hope we're not supposed to feel better becuase kids are now only at 1/2 the risk of being killed as opposed to a few years back (just don't pick 99 as a comparison point) and only at 1/3 the risk as in 1993.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Give everybody a gun.

How many police officers get robbed/killed in comparison to the rest of the population?

LOD Statistics

On average, a law enforcement officer is killed in the line of duty every 57 hours in the USA.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

On average, a law enforcement officer is killed in the line of duty every 57 hours in the USA.

Speaking of that, how are those two in Florida who were shot yesterday or the day before?

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

How many police officers get robbed/killed in comparison to the rest of the population?

More than pediatric neurosurgeons....which like your statement is completely beside the point.

Is it? Cops are armed...don't see the scumbags going after THEM, do you?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Give everybody a gun.

LOD Statistics

Too bad we can't say that about the populace in general, huh?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

More than pediatric neurosurgeons....which like your statement is completely beside the point.

I'd say owning and knowing how to operate a bone saw is pretty well armed.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I see and hear of more scumbags going after police officers than pediatric neurosurgeons. Just look at recent news.

Obviously the solution is that we need more pediatric neurosurgeons patrolling schools.

:):D funny!!

sure it's funny. right up until the Euro-union and Canada try to outlaw bone saws

then it's hilarious

Then JR starts in on it, then it's not so funny

Then, after awhile, it starts to get funny again.

Make them all wear uniforms.. that way they all will look the same...

make them wear.. their birth suits... no liquids, no electronics, transparent plastic bags.. anybody with clothes on, any electronic device or a non-transparent bag should be immediately arrested/shot.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Stop allowing people to own weapons?

stop sending kids to school :|

Stop everything.

Massive chillers to bring the Earth to absolute zero.

All the badness will go away.

:):D funny!!

sure it's funny. right up until the Euro-union and Canada try to outlaw bone saws

then it's hilarious

Then JR starts in on it, then it's not so funny

Then, after awhile, it starts to get funny again.

I like the way you always see the bigger picture....lol.

linz
--

So now one of the design elements for new schools is escapability from those that delight in murdering children..

and fires, and to get out and in for other reasons

I thought that's what windows were for?

Give everybody a gun.

LOD Statistics

Can't say what? The police rate is higher than that of the population in general.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Give everybody a gun.

LOD Statistics

Can't say what? The police rate is higher than that of the population in general.

Really? What is the average time between murders in the US?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706