jlmiracle

Automakers Sued for global warming

OAKLAND, Calif., Sept. 20 (UPI) -- A lawsuit has been filed in a U.S. federal
court against leading U.S. and Japanese auto manufacturers, alleging their
vehicles contribute to global warming.
The legal action, filed Wednesday in Oakland, Calif., by California Attorney
General Bill Lockyer, alleges the vehicles' emissions have harmed the
resources, infrastructure and environmental health of California, costing the
state millions of dollars to address current and future effects.
"Vehicle emissions are the single most rapidly growing source of the carbon
emissions contributing to global warming, yet the federal government and
automakers have refused to act," said Lockyer in a statement "It is time to
hold these companies responsible for their contribution to this crisis."
The lawsuit names as defendants The Chrysler Motors Corp., General Motors
Corp., Ford Motor Co., Toyota Motors North America Inc., Honda North America,
and Nissan North America.
The lawsuit is said to be the first to seek to hold manufacturers liable for
the damages caused by greenhouse gases that their products emit.
The California attorney general charged the Bush administration's inaction on
global warming has forced California and other states to take action on their
own.

No surprise where this was filed.[:/]

j
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Should they be suing all the manufactures that make boats, lawn mowers, weed eaters, tractors, chain saws, or anything that runs on gas?:S

How do Airplanes rate on how much global warming does it cause.

I think this is another waste of time and money.

j
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Good thing the power plants operated by the state don't contribute. :D

California for a long time has had separate emission regulations, it would be within their legitimate power to make those laws tougher or even require 0 emission vehicles by law, but this is bullshit. Arnold should squash this, I hope he didn't have approval authority.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

>Should they be suing all the manufactures that make boats,
>lawn mowers, weed eaters, tractors, chain saws, or anything that runs
>on gas?

That's what the libertarians prefer. Get rid of all environmental laws and use the courts for _everything_. I don't think that works too well, myself.

Suing companies like this is the wrong way to go about achieving reductions in CO2 emissions. A better way to do it is through the CARB (california air resources board) which sets fleet limits for pollution. That way companies can plan ahead and ensure that they can meet the new standards.

Suing companies like this is the wrong way to go about achieving reductions in CO2 emissions. A better way to do it is through the CARB (california air resources board) which sets fleet limits for pollution. That way companies can plan ahead and ensure that they can meet the new standards.

Bill have you ever thought of running for office? Seriously.

judy

OAKLAND, Calif., Sept. 20 (UPI) -- A lawsuit has been filed in ........ has forced California and other states to take action on their
own.

Apparently California needs to supplement their budget with some random demonization of some non-PC image companies. This is much akin to speed traps in Podunk.

I hope the money is well spent. Maybe on grants to the perverted arts, etc.

I wonder how many Libertarians would espouse a strong desire to handle subjective social issues in a sue-happy court environment/culture?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Back on ought-three, Lockyer filed suit against the feds to get the EPA to regulate greenhouse gases.

A couple of years ago, automakers filed suit against the state of California because of the strict greenhouse emissions standards. The attacked regulation would cause a decrease in emissions of 30% by 2016. Oral arguments on a motion to dismiss by the state were heard right here in Fresno on Friday.

About 3 weeks ago, Ahnold and the legislature here reached an agreement on the new greenhouse bill to cap emissions at 1990 levels by 2020.

It seems interesting to me that Lockyer would file this suit now against the automakers when his staff was busy trying to get a case by the automakers dismissed on Friday. I guess it'd be a plan "B."

I'll bet a couple of the local firms would rather enjoy this - money in their pockets.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

A couple of years ago, automakers filed suit against the state of California because of the strict greenhouse emissions standards.

Do you know which automakers?

Some of them have no problem with improved standards. Honda, for instance, has not complained about the schedule for implementing new emission or mileage standards when the Big 3 were crying their eyes out to congress.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

>Should they be suing all the manufactures that make boats,
>lawn mowers, weed eaters, tractors, chain saws, or anything that runs
>on gas?

That's what the libertarians prefer. Get rid of all environmental laws and use the courts for _everything_. I don't think that works too well, myself.

Sounds fine with me. Just put a libertarian judge on the bench and those lawsuits won't get far.
Provoking a reaction isn't the same thing as saying something meaningful.
-Calvin

>Just put a libertarian judge on the bench and those lawsuits won't get far.

Actually, they would. "Libertarian" does not mean "anti-environmentalist." Presumably, we'd demand the same sort of environmental protections we have today, just not via a large federal government. So every coal fired power plant in the country would have tens of thousands of valid lawsuits going at any given time, and companies would attempt to strike a balance between high profits (i.e. avoiding emissions controls altogether) and lawsuits (caused by their pollution injuring/killing local and distant US citizens.)

I think there are better ways to handle such things, personally.

And New York deserves to pay through the nose for its food needs.

Why's that?

We here in California produce much - if not most - of the country's food. To produce food takes energy. In fact, the energy required to move that shipment of lettuce cross-country is pretty amazing.

California uses a lot of energy. Point given. California also would be the world's fifth or sixth largest economy if it were its own country. We produce a lot of stuff. It requires energy to do that - energy that must often be produced elsewhere.

Thus, for the same reasons California should pay a lot for energy, so, too, should places like New York pay a lot for food.

p.s. - my previous post was sarcastic...

My wife is hotter than your wife.