mirage62

Gas below $1.99 is NO GOOD

Only thing thats getting sub 10 mpg is a Hummer, some of the large SUV's and then the RV's. There isn't a production car from any of the large manufactors getting less then 12 right now and those low numbers are from the super sports cars like the Viper, etc. I don't have a clue what you were driving, but your math is way off.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Only thing thats getting sub 10 mpg is a Hummer, some of the large SUV's and then the RV's. There isn't a production car from any of the large manufactors getting less then 12 right now and those low numbers are from the super sports cars like the Viper, etc. I don't have a clue what you were driving, but your math is way off.

The newer Corvette's will get 20-24mpg even with the big V-8. :)

The newer Corvette's will get 20-24mpg even with the big V-8. :)

If you drive it according to EPA test protocols, but where'd the fun be in that?

An efficient gasoline engine run wide open burns about .5 pounds of gas per horsepower per hour or .08 gallons.

Manage to use a reasonable fraction of 300+ HP accelerating between frequent stop lights and you will get single digit gas mileage.

If you drive it according to EPA test protocols, but where'd the fun be in that?

So you're saying that Sockpuppet is really stomping on the gas on of his rental cars...:P

Heck I have a low gas mileage, 8 cyl truck and even when I'm towing I still get double digit mileage (barely, unless I'm into a headwind, or uphill, or going too fast,.....er nevermind, when towing it's borderline)

$2.13/gal this morning

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Has anyone in the US actually considered cars that get more than single figure mpgs?

My car does a healthy 50 to the gallon and sub 10 to 60. Yet I drove a car in Vegas last year that got 5.7mpg and drove like a milk float....

Which car is that? US average is in the mid 20s.

As for Vegas - well, driving on Las Vegas Blvd on a weekend evening will take any non electric down to single figures. Did they force you to pick the tank model?

So if the goverment claims that the U.S. has enough oil reserves to supply the states for 100 years. Why not open the oil reserves now and lower the prices? I am sure in 100 years we will be driving other devices that dont run off of oil. Plus the technology that is in the workings right now we should be using water for our fuel source. The technology is called HHO. look at the link.[url]http://www.enlightenedbeings.com/water-fueled-cars.html

I think your full of shit. You don't even remember if it was a Car, truck or SUV?

I have two full size extended cab trucks both powered by V8's, and I can get 20 mph hwy if I keep it around 70. I have gotten as high as 22 in one and 23 in the other when it was new. City is around 17-18 mpg. I just ordered a new SuperCrew with a 6 1/2 foot box with the 300hp 5.4, and I plan to get 20 mpg at 70 mph with it. Just a few tricks to do in order to get that out of it though.
Hell even the Chevy Suburban can get well over single digits in the city.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

Quite right.

Engine designers have been amazing at getting the internal combustion engine to run better (remember the good old days of carbs), be more efficient, and much cleaner all at the same time. If I really drove like a granny, I could squeeze 9.5 mpg out of my old '76 Mercury with the 460 cu.in. engine. And that was 3/4 of it being easy highway miles.

The problem with cars is....they are so much fun. :D
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

>Engine designers have been amazing at getting the internal
>combustion engine to run better (remember the good old days of
>carbs), be more efficient, and much cleaner all at the same time.

Indeed! Honda has just announced a new diesel engine that should be as clean as the cleanest gas car we have now (Tier II Bin 5.) Plus it will not require urea be added to run the catalytic converter, as some other clean diesels do. Should result in more available diesels, which traditionally get much better mileage than gas engines.

>Engine designers have been amazing at getting the internal
>combustion engine to run better (remember the good old days of
>carbs), be more efficient, and much cleaner all at the same time.

Indeed! Honda has just announced a new diesel engine that should be as clean as the cleanest gas car we have now (Tier II Bin 5.) Plus it will not require urea be added to run the catalytic converter, as some other clean diesels do. Should result in more available diesels, which traditionally get much better mileage than gas engines.

3 recent articles on Honda's engine technology are at the top of the page on Temple of VTEC (Honda/Acura enthusiast site):

http://www.vtec.net/
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Gas didn't drop 90 cents last fall. I find this very interesting especially in light of the break down of the AK pipeline.

I suspect Big Oil knows this is an election year and a bunch of democrats winning republican seats in congress in a few weeks would not do them any good. Therefore, they are reducing the price to put a favorable spin on the economy in hopes to keep republican seats and majority

I say this as a Republican (actually, I'm more a libertarian than anything, but I don't vote on those who can't get elected.:S)

I'll agree. I'd say it's got something to do with (R)ecord profits and (R)ecord subsidies, who was cont(R)olling the Cong(R)ess (R)ecently and who big oil would like to see win in novembe(R).